WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Rain kilt diy??

Default Rain kilt diy??

Anyone made a rain kilt.....sounds better than a skirt. Never liked rain pants for hiking down south as I sweat too much even in winter...looked at the kilts but can't bring myself to pay $40-60....thinking about using a Tyvek ground cloth I have sitting around...may try the adhesive Velcro strips at waist....dual purpose as a dry clean place to sit under the awning of my lhg solong6...input or thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Take a pair of driducks pants, cut legs off above knee, cut up inside legs to crotch, duct tape into skirt, I mean kilt.

Works with tyvek pants too.

Maybe find a comfortable skirt at a thrift stove to use as a pattern

MuddyWaters, thanks for the idea! I have a pair of rain pants I hate to wear, but could probably tolerate a skirt.

Images

I made mine out of Cuben from Z-packs. Got 2 yards, 1 oz. wt. and made it 25 inches long to double as a ground sheet under my wide thermarest in the shelters. Drawcord at the top, velcro to close. Used the leftovers to make stuffsacks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Anyone made a rain kilt.....sounds better than a skirt. Never liked rain pants for hiking down south as I sweat too much even in winter...looked at the kilts but can't bring myself to pay $40-60....thinking about using a Tyvek ground cloth I have sitting around...may try the adhesive Velcro strips at waist....dual purpose as a dry clean place to sit under the awning of my lhg solong6...input or thoughts?

Tapatalk is really annoying
    I made one from some DWR fabric I bought from thru hiker fabric. Two yards was plenty. I looked up how to make kilts online. I used 2" pleats. I got picked on for having it until a downpour. It wads up really small...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

A large garbage bag (55 gallon for my stride). A shock cord duct taped at the top if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    A large garbage bag (55 gallon for my stride). A shock cord duct taped at the top if need be.
    I'd want something a little more durable then a garbage bag. Hit a poorly maintained, overgrown section of trail and that bag will be shredded in no time, leaving bits of plastic along the trial.

I have a sil nylon skirt which is pretty much useless. Bleeds through too fast. I've thought about making one out of Tyvek, Cuben would be good too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I made one out of Tyvek last year for my Long Trail thru hike; worked well and I'm still using it. I'll look for the pattern and other info I have about it and send you more info tomorrow. Traveling now but wanted to respond.
    2009 thru hike Blog ---- 2009 AT GA-ME, 2012 JMT, 2013 LT, 2016 AT flip flop, 2017 AT GA-ME

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'd want something a little more durable then a garbage bag. Hit a poorly maintained, overgrown section of trail and that bag will be shredded in no time, leaving bits of plastic along the trial.

I have a sil nylon skirt which is pretty much useless. Bleeds through too fast. I've thought about making one out of Tyvek, Cuben would be good too.
    A good 1.9 oz (before coating) does a bit better job IMO. Just the right 1.1 can work, but it's tough.
    Cuben is best.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

To me they boil down to construction-
    Skirt- basic lampshade shape.
    Kilt- a tube that is pleated on the top- poor choice for rain IMO. Waste of fabric too if you care about weight.

Sounds more like you want a wrap- basically the same thing that you do with a bath towel.
    In fact- a bathtowel makes a great pattern, find one around the house you like, wrap it on like you got out of the shower and you're good.

From there- You can look at Joe's rain wrap at Zpacks- he uses Velcro.
    Judy at Lightheart has a very nice wrap style rain piece too.

If the wrap is big enough you can get away with just cinching at the waist (like a towel) with some Velcro.
    If the wrap is really small- you need a pretty decent vertical piece to keep it closed (a bit like Zpacks)

Tyvek is a good place to start, cheap, and you have dual uses for it...

Somewhere on here there is a thread and a pic with a rain skirt I made for Rocketsocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Kilt- a tube that is pleated on the top- poor choice for rain IMO. Waste of fabric too if you care about weight.

Sounds more like you want a wrap- basically the same thing that you do with a bath towel.
    In fact- a bathtowel makes a great pattern, find one around the house you like, wrap it on like you got out of the shower and you're good.

If the wrap is big enough you can get away with just cinching at the waist (like a towel) with some Velcro.
    If the wrap is really small- you need a pretty decent vertical piece to keep it closed (a bit like Zpacks)

Somewhere on here there is a thread and a pic with a rain skirt I made for Rocketsocks.
    Thx....skirt it is....kilt sounded more manly

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    I made one out of Tyvek last year for my Long Trail thru hike; worked well and I'm still using it. I'll look for the pattern and other info I have about it and send you more info tomorrow. Traveling now but wanted to respond.
    Thx any info would be appreciated...

I'm thinking suspenders to hold it up. It wouldn't take much of a strap and could be attached with snaps. I had trouble with the pack belt making the skirt slide down off my butt which was annoying. It would be even worse with slippery Tyvek.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Here it is. Love this thang.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...48-Colins-Kilt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm thinking suspenders to hold it up. It wouldn't take much of a strap and could be attached with snaps. I had trouble with the pack belt making the skirt slide down off my butt which was annoying. It would be even worse with slippery Tyvek.
    A small piece of shock cord and a mitten hook at each hip would allow you to clip it to the return strap (where your shoulder strap meets the pack body).

FWIW- I don't have much trouble with falling down, but the skirts do tend to spin on me.

I haven't notice the spin, though I am gonna shorten this about 2"-3" the pack slippage I've had a little bit, but I gots no Asa anyhoo, so then there's that.

++ New Posts ++