WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Take what you like

"Sometimes "Take what you like and leave the rest" is the best course. RJ is a creative fellow who has brought the minimalist ideas of Granny Gatewood to many who likely would have never found those ideas otherwise."

Frolicking,
    Its not that the 'many' either would or would not have discovered the minimalist ideas of Gatewood; those 'many' evidently needed an unbalanced pied piper to follow. That in and of itself tells me a lot about the shallow needs of the 'many.' Disturbing evidence of the current state of the society that we live in.

"I don't know RJ personally, but he appears to be very passionate about his concepts and ideas. I have no idea if he is trustworthy in his personal life."

Richard Nixon was very passionate about his concepts and ideas. Something this country found out about almost too late. For a good indication of Jardine's trustworthyness in his personal life look to how he has comported himself in public, say for example with GoLite.

"Sadly, such devotion to a single course curbs creative thinking (because possiblities that exist in other courses are never considered so they can never be incorporated into new creations / concepts)."

However any of us may 'think out of the box' eventually we have to decide on a single course of action. That is the way this universe seems to operate. Although the Multiverse interpretation of Quantum theory seems to hold promise for trying different new creations/concepts.

"Disregarding what RJ has to say because of his delivery would have kept me from incorporating his ideas into the new sleep system I'm developing. While I could have eventually figured out what to do and how to do it with this new system, it would have taken longer and involved more mistakes."

Far be it for me to say no to fast and easy. The occasional fast food hamburger and fries springs to mind. Yet I have learned that all I really have in this existence is time and if I can (and will) learn from my mistakes I get to savor the time left even more.

"What I rambling all over the side trails to say is that listening to everyone's ideas and concepts with an open mind will get you to the informed place of making the best decision faster than wasting a ton of energy disregarding information because the source's personality rubs you the wrong way."

I agree with you. An open mind is the first prerequsite. A skeptical mind follows closely thereafter. I can love people but I don't have to like some of them. I try to overlook the personality and attend to the psychopathology underneath.
    Cordially,
    R.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Default the RAY WAY

"this doesn't make sense... a man who has 'given the best customer service i've ever gotten' suddenly changes? there's got to be something more to this..."

I'll throw this on the table ... last Spring I was interested in weight details with Ray's quilts and received a really curt, snappy reply (IMHO) that discouraged me from investing with Ray.

Not sure who the rep was ... but it was Ray's company that replied ...

On the other hand I should add, Ray's Book changed my camping life ... for the better!

There is an update on the RJ site saying that are going to stay open. And that they are restructuring the business.

Interesting.
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CynJ
    There is an update on the RJ site saying that are going to stay open. And that they are restructuring the business.

Interesting.
    i saw the same thing,he is ataying open neo

I bet his website traffic increased dramatically with the announcement he was going out of business, though.

tideblazer
    Images

he indicated to me that they were flooded with requests to stay open.

They responded to the demand.

it did generate a huge surge in sales and feedback.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

You gotta love a business that responds to its customers.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Seems sort of like a "new" Coke gimmic.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ray is a marketing guru/genius!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142
    If only the fine people who make Coke were crafty enough to make a terrible product so as to get the old one popular again.

An interesting read about the whole New Coke debacle. One of the classics in marketing disasters. Seriously, makes interesting reading:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp

Nothing to do with this discussion..but it does have some cool info about one of the greatest "*** were they thinking ?!??!" moments!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

the Pontiac AzTec is another one.... "But all the focus groups, marketing studies said it would sell and looked good".

WWTT. (what Were They Thinking)

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Kind of like the Homer mobile...

The separate mother-in-law bubble was a great idea.

Images

Jardine gave no real info about why he was closing his "shop", and had the infamous blurb about not being available for customers after a certain date. Now he's back with no info about why the change of heart. And he never took all the product info off the front page when "closing". Looks highly questionable to me.

By the way, selling a tarp kit and not including assembly instructions, rather writing a whole book to buy instead is lame.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142
    Yea - I'm thinking there was some inventory that needed liquidated with a quickness...
    So be it.
    --John

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    Yea - I'm thinking there was some inventory that needed liquidated with a quickness...
    He is starting a new "project", so maybe it required a bit of capital to get off the ground????

If he is looking for chump change he can sell his integrity- again. I loved his I'm sorry, can I get my money now, Golite letter. Poor Ray, I actually feel sorry for him.

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nean
    If he is looking for chump change he can sell his integrity- again. I loved his I'm sorry, can I get my money now, Golite letter. Poor Ray, I actually feel sorry for him.
    Maybe you could be a jem and just loan him a couple of your millions
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Golite has another side to the story: copies of Ray's original letters to them. Worth checking out on their website...

Default hmmm

wow...heavy stuff
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++