WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

My winter setup is pretty exposed and I feel comfortable. I started with a hennessy in the spring and fall. with its little tarp pulled in close, it feels very snug and secure. Then I moved up to the bigger hex tarp for rain concerns, and felt a little more open. Now I have an ENO hammock with NO skeeter net or anything for the winter, and just that big hennessy tarp above me. Someone could walk right under the tarp, reach over and touch my nose without going through any material. There is a false sense of security that walls give us. Sure, if something really wanted to, it could grab your backside in a hammock. The same goes for a tent, however. Tent material is nothing special, just like hammock material. A few teeth or a sharp claw and whatever it is will be inside your tent, just as easily as it could be in the hammock. I ham mocked and camped over 500 miles or so and never had an intruder, and although I've heard some strange sounds, most were easily explained by fellow hikers. I couldn't see myself sleeping on the ground at this point. And having the big hex tarp is nice. Since it gets put up last, it comes in handy providing a nice dry place to eat on rainy mornings. Five of us ate under it during our last trip.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I had the same problem with the noise. Hope this time is better. I'll probably stick with my tent. One of the nights last year was really windy and the person in the hammock had quite a time getting blown around. She did not have a good night:/

Nothing much out there gonna bother you unless in Grizzly country, nevertheless i carry a small pistol and keep it handy. Also I had much be in a hammock where I can see what is making the noise so I can deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol, right. Maybe 41 magnum full metal jacket thru the open mouth, during a full on charge, leaving tell-tale full charge tracks, the bullet penetrating to the back of the skull might be successful. No kidding, and then, the grizzley has to fall dead in a heap, on you, to prove it was self-defense. For real.

I live in grizzley country.

The laws are tough.

I had the same feeling, as the OP, the first time at the campsite I reclined in my brand new hammock. This is great! Uh, I am wrapped up like a big burrito. Would a grizzley bear take a bite, or, knock me around before taking a bite?

I have my hanmock for kayaking, on the coast.

I feel more safe, not particularly noticed, on the ground. I don't like a tent, because I want to be able to roll-out quickly, any direction. My tents all had two doors, when I had tents. I still have The Borth Face Comet, if I could fund the tent poles. Hmm. Well, I use No Scent laundry products. I use Opsaks. I put the garbage Opsak far from the campsite, just in case the grizzlies can get the scent of garbage.

So, yes, I take precautions. I like the soft ursa bear bag, but no tall enough trees high up the mountain.

Reply, about that tree climbing snake, page 1.

Now, that is scarey.

Where is that, exactly?

Do we have that in North America?
    Last edited by Connie; 11-26-2014 at 22:45.

Default ???? gun ????

"carliev" ........a pistol or gun is not really needed or practical on the AT......many have to fly or take some kind of public transport to and from the trail.....this could be difficult at best with a fire arm..

hiking in montana or the yukon....you bet your sweet bootie I would carry the S&W 44....

there is a big size difference in black and brown bear.....
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Do any of you carry Bear pepper spray?

I carried Counter Assault bear spray, the approved bear spray, for in Glacier National Park, MT. It is for sale at the Visitor Center. It is VERY strong. The label recommends spraying a little downwind to see the distance it sprays. I got a tiny little bit backspray, I guess. It was that or a wisp of air brought the spray back onto me. I don't recommend getting it on yourself. If a bear was in full on charge, not bouncing around in "bluff charge" I might use it, not to get mauled or die.

I would rather rely on what I know about grizzley bears.

I have a lightweight backpack. I walk with head up, aware of my surroundings. I am on the look out for tracks or scat.

I completely avoid finding myself between baby bear and momma bear. I see a baby bear and I do not see momma bear, I leave.

Bears like to nap in a thicket. I am wary.

I am not silent on the trail. I do not want to startle a bear.

If I feel "creepy" at all, maybe "sensing" a predator, I move off and I go the other way: I can hike that trail another time, or, make camp further back and go thru the next day.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-27-2014 at 16:05.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Reply, about that tree climbing snake, page 1.

Now, that is scarey.

Where is that, exactly?

Do we have that in North America?
    That is a black snake and was beside the trail in the Shenandoah park in Virginia. He was just hangin' out trying to catch some sun and or a mouse.

I'm with you....haven't conquered the fears yet, but am working on it. It didn't help that my first night out included a foraging bear much too close for comfort...but, he didn't bother me or attempt to investigate my camp. Every sound woke me up. I'm not sure how long it's going to take to be as mentally comfortable in my hammock as I am in my tent.....but I really hope it comes soon!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by RADHiker View Post
    I'm with you....haven't conquered the fears yet, but am working on it. It didn't help that my first night out included a foraging bear much too close for comfort...but, he didn't bother me or attempt to investigate my camp. Every sound woke me up. I'm not sure how long it's going to take to be as mentally comfortable in my hammock as I am in my tent.....but I really hope it comes soon!
    Just keep in mind that most things in the woods are more scared of you than you are of them. Just separate yourself from your food and toiletries as they ought to be hanging away from your tent. I will confess....I have been in the woods for years, heck I was even a forest ranger here in NC, and the only thing that freaks me out is walking into a spider web. That still makes me dance like a drunk freshman at his first frat party.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++