WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Montbell Down Hugger 900 #2

My son is ready for a new sleeping bag and given that he's thinking about a thru hike in the next few years it's probably time to get serious about a sleep system (vs the three + pound synthetic bag he has today).

If I completely forget about $s, I like the Montbell. But he's a slim kid, sleeps cool and I'm worried that the 25* rating might not be good at the shoulders of the season when we're routinely camping in high 30/low 40 weather.

Anyone have any experience with this bag and just how warm it is?

Images

I don't have this bag but I do have a Montbell Down Hugger 800 (30* model). My bag is about 6 years old and still has fantastic loft and keeps me warm to the rated 30 degrees without any additional warm clothes needed (although I'm a fairly warm sleeper). The bag is a bit tight but if he is slim then he should have plenty of room.

I think this would be a solid choice although there are many other manufacturers that would fill this need. You might want to look at the Zpacks bags. You could get a 20 degree bag that is less expensive and lighter than the Montbell 900 #2. They get really good reviews.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 11-02-2014 at 10:17.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I would highly suggest buying a sleeping bag liner to go with the new bag. I use the silk Cocoon http://www.rei.com/product/850427/co...ab-description Keeps the bag from getting dirty, easy to wash and adds 5 degrees to its temp. rating.

The MB 900, a liner, and a down jacket should be warm enough for a thru starting in mid March or later.

I own three MB 800 bags, #1, 3, and 5. They are great bags and for me they are warm down to their stated comfort range.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Montbells live up to the rating. I have an 800 fill #0 from my feb start and it has performed well down to the rating (and even below it will some fleece clothes). I would second the need for a down jacket and liner though with a 25* bag.
    KBO, Ducky

Why not just get him a #1? That's the one I have and I use it more often than my #5. I sleep cold and it hasn't failed me yet.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I will sleep in montbell bags for the rest of my life. I started trying them out in College and have never been cold or let down by them.
    I have a 0*, a 15* and 45-55*. All three are ust super comfy, warm, and ROOMY. they pack small, keep their loft and Montbell has a great customer service team and the company will probably be around for quite some time. I have had my warmest montbell for about 5 years now, and it is weathered but still has more then enough life left in it. I do however suggest going with the down product line and not synthetic.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Why not just get him a #1? That's the one I have and I use it more often than my #5. I sleep cold and it hasn't failed me yet.
    About 12 oz is the answer. That said, I could easily be swayed to the 800 #1

I used the UL super spiral #2 on my 2010 thru. I sleep cold and this bag kept me warm most nights. One night on a ridge above Sassafras Gap shelter I woke up in the middle of the night and put on my jacket because I got cold. It was too warm for the middle part of my hike. I sent it home at Harpers Ferry and used a Marmot Pounder until Hanover. I also used a silk liner, mostly to keep the bag clean. I cannot vouch that it adds anything to the temperature rating. I like the stretch of the MB. I am slim and the bag hugs you just like the name states.
    More walking, less talking.

The #1 is still only 2.25 lbs -- which isn't bad for a bag that warm. And it packs down pretty small.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I don't think you can go wrong with MB bags. I own 2 brands of sleeping bags.. Western Mountaineering and Mont Bell.

++ New Posts ++