Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I just have to say...

I have always been a "large" gal and I have had the problem of my thunder thighs rubbing together since Jr. Hi. - can't wear dresses (even with tights or pantyhose) w/o pettie pants under to keep them from rubbing together. It's so nice to hear that others have the same problem and it's OK!!!!!
    \

Go women's forum!!!!!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    The skirts sound great, but I have heard tales of folks hiking behind nasty stains on the backsides of female hikers who don't wear undies....not sure if it's a good tradeoff....
    No more than I would want to hike behind a nasty stain on a male hikers kilt/shorts.

What about ticks and chiggers? This is probably a separate thread........
    This did happen to me once. I was hiking with another woman and she said you gotta turn your skirt it looks bad!! What had happened was I had forgotten to bring anything for chapping and the first day out I got a rash. All I had in my pack was Vaseline (yuck!!) so I used it. Then of course I would rub it occasionally, thus a pretty nasty stain. Also it was a solid gray. Black works best if solid and a print is even better to hide stains and dirt.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

that's what gets me about hiker shirts - most of them are plain and light colored - a nice print would hide a lot of grunge

teachergal - I hate dresses/skirts -and shorts ride up in the crotch and I really hate that. So I wear capris pants - lightweight - no chafing

On the skirt/shorts note though - here's a question - do you all shave the legs or go au'natural? I think the itching of it growing out would drive me bonkers.
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CynJ
    that's what gets me about hiker shirts - most of them are plain and light colored - a nice print would hide a lot of grunge

teachergal - I hate dresses/skirts -and shorts ride up in the crotch and I really hate that. So I wear capris pants - lightweight - no chafing

On the skirt/shorts note though - here's a question - do you all shave the legs or go au'natural? I think the itching of it growing out would drive me bonkers.
    no shaving of the legs when I am on the trail (hell, I have a hard enough time doing that chore at home.) Yeah, I've been married for 25 years and have gotten lazy.

I shaved somewhere else on my 2001 hike , the itch when it was growing it was out of this world and quiet embarrassing to get caught scratching...
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Having just hiked the trail this summer I decided to add my 2 cents worth. In the summer,especially, hikers smell. Their packs smell worse. Some days I couldn't even stand the smell of my own pack. So when I pee I either use leaves or air dry a min. and then pull up my underpants (sorry, I like them for this purpose). The underpants got washed when I did my laundry unless I detected a urine order coming from me and that was not often.

You are not going to want to carry many extra clothes. I eventually sent my spare underpants and bra home. I tried panyliners the first few days and for a day hike they are fine but for long distance hiking no. I also hated to see toilet paper behind a tree or rock or anywhere so if you must use it. PACK IT OUT!

You will get use to wearing the same clothes day after day after day in fact for the whole trip. I shaved my legs whenever I had the opportunity. That was just me, I hate to see hairy legged women and fur balls under the arms.

And last but not least, I was lucky not to have chafing but at the first sign of the one time, I used bag balm. I used that on my feet also; an indispensable item in my back. I just put it in a film canister, didn't carry the whole can.
    Sleeveless

Default chafing

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman
    Yeah, I second that! Don't you chafe going commando under skirts? Heck, even when I wear skirts to work, I need to wear bike shorts or pantyhose underneath. Maybe my thighs are just too big?
    Thank God, someone else admits she has big thighs. Even when I was not overweight, my thighs would chafe in skirts...

Creakybonze

I used to think thigh chafing was a strictly weight-related thing, then I met these rail thin women at the gym who had the same problem and some very overweight women who didn't. I think it's mostly just a matter of build, although certainly, being overweight may contribute to chafing if you have large thighs to begin with.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Default Thank goodness for Patagonia panties

I tried to use panty liners but I had the same problem with "unsticking" and chaffing. I was reluctant to try the Patagonia panties because of the price...but they are most definately worth it.
    Camich

Exclamation Patagonia undies

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    I found the best undies to be the new Patagonia, capilene super lightweight (1.1 oz), antibacterial/no smellie underwears, good for about four days, quick dry, expensive but worth it.
    Where can I find these
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by roxy33x
    Where can I find these
    You can get Patagonia panties from REI. They also have an REI brand that is $4 cheaper per pair. I'm not sure about the quality of the REI ones...I ordered some....should arrive next week.
    Camich

Panti-liners are definitely out for me. They usually don't stick where you want them or do stick where you don't.

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

To avoid any rubbing/chaffing I wear leggings, or underarmour type compression pants, they cling tight enough that when your legs rub, the only thing making contact is your tights, so, no chaffe! The only thing is, no matter how much they say that they "wick" .. you always get a little sweaty. No me gusta.

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

Glad I always notice how old threads are before I post on them, haha.

I use the very light "always" liners and love them. They are so small and slim they take up very little space in the "santi" bag.

Light Panty-liners helpful in perspiration absorption, but also after peeing when the wet wipes aren't handy or available.

Images

Unless your undies are cotton lined, Panty liners won't stick...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    Unless your undies are cotton lined, Panty liners won't stick...
    Mine are cotton lined and they still don't stick. I resorted to safety pinning them and that seemed to work adequately.
    Last edited by Lilred; 02-22-2010 at 19:50.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I ordered a couple of pair of the Patagonia, which came in today. I'll do some testing when I go for a week, later this spring. Hopefully they'll wick and stay reasonably dry, as well as stay reasonably odorless.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAllure View Post
    I ordered a couple of pair of the Patagonia, which came in today. I'll do some testing when I go for a week, later this spring. Hopefully they'll wick and stay reasonably dry, as well as stay reasonably odorless.
    Ok, you've had enough time. How were they??

Quote Originally Posted by Nkeef4960 View Post
    Ok, you've had enough time. How were they??
    ha, never mind you said later this spring. I will need to test them myself before then. Leaving in April!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++