WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: battered

Eric, I too am battered. Long list including a parachute malfunction.

my challenge is not while moving on any particular day it's the cumulative impact of poor sleep. With neck and back pain I rarely sleep well even in my bed at home. This leads at times to days where I am functioning at a very sub par level leading to the potential of more injuries.

I would strongly urge section hiking so you can keep a close eye on your health and keep the self imposed drive to complete the hike in check.

enjoy retirement!

Journal Entries
    Images

I once again thank everyone for their kind replies. Section hikes- car support- and other ways are things I did not think about (typical Army- bull thru anything straight ahead). All of you have given me more hope than I expected. Once neurosurgeon examines and gives opinion- assuming north/south head nod- we will begin planning for 2016.
    I can only give me appreciation for your time and consideration in your replies.
    VR
    Eric

If you have the financial means, I would highly suggest purchasing the latest/greatest lightest equipment you can afford to lighten your load. Every pound extra is going to really substantiate the wear and tear on you. Going ultralight is a long learning experience but there are easy ways to really lighten the load without the know-how. Not trying to endorse anything here but a cuben fiber pack, a cuben fiber tent, and a nice down bag will really help you out. Nowadays its easy to get a 10-12 base weight without sleeping under a tarp. Don't skimp out on a nice comfy sleeping pad and get yourself a sitpad. In your case, it's all about how good your rest is at the end of the day.

Furthermore, maybe try to get an early start on the AT. Giving yourself an extra month will mean less miles per day in the long run. All though it does mean heavier winter gear. Just something to consider.

My point. If you do go for a thru, which there's no reason not to try, lightening your pack is going to be crucial to your success. And starting early will give you the ability to take time off if need be.

Thank you for your service.

+1 to what fastfox says. As I've lightened my pack I've enjoyed walking on my bad knee a whole lot more (2 surgeries and heading for a replacement). Buy light equipment, be disciplined about what goes in that pack, and practice a few times to sort out what you do and don't need. You only get one shot at this life, make it count. See you on the trail.

Images

I'm a retired massage therapist and personal trainer. I worked with lots of injured/disabled/worn out people in a chiropractor's office.
    Good training before your hike is critical. If you had physical therapy after your surgeries, those are the exercises to start with and keep. The good stuff from exercise comes when you are recovering from the exercise. That's when your body builds and improves to better handle the next bout of exercise. So rest, along with great nutrition, are key. Do not exercise daily. Get at least 24 hours rest between workouts for each body part and between aerobic workouts.
    Stretch. Before and after each workout and on rest days.
    Massage the parts you worked out. The increase in blood flow speeds recovery. It also speeds lymph drainage which removes wastes dumped by your cells into the interstitial spaces. It also lessens pain. You'll feel better and improve faster.
    The warning above about meds masking pain and possibly encouraging more injury is correct. Better to exercise up to the point of increased pain, note that amount of exercise and back off from it the next workout. Let your progress be slow, at your body's pace. Discuss minimal effective pain meds with your doctor.
    Eat the healthiest diet you can afford and plan to do the same on your thru. If you do this and take your hike slow, with plenty of rest, you may actually end up healthier at the end of your hike than more beaten up. Lose fat if you've got any before you go.
    Someone here on WB recommends Start Slow and Slow Down. My wife and I plan on doing or thru starting as early as we can and going southbound to avoid the Katahdin deadline. We also plan many in-the-woods zeros. Why rush? It's the hike of a lifetime.
    I hope you have a great hike.
    Sailor

Journal Entries
    Images

First of all- thanks to all for their kind remarks. Second- after neurosurgeon gives his take- assuming I won't cripple myself (which I doubt)- this hike will happen. Train-up with local hikes and weighted pack until can hump about 30 pounds for 10 miles. Then overnights- first one then up to five. Gym workouts- buying lightweight equipment little by little- and learning off the people here. That is about all the prep I can do. Figure a year...so 2016 is target...maybe 2015 if lucky. I am sure this name has been used by many before me- but somehow "battered" seems to fit. Army folks used to call me "tin man"- but that was then and this is now! So until someone on the trail names me something different-
    Battered

You can get all the opinions in the world here but, the only thing that matters is your own determination and your tolerance to pain and discomfort. I say go for it and if you don't complete it, finish it the following year.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I suggest you change your name to " Ti Man "

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I suggest you change your name to " Ti Man "
    Interesting name- thanks for suggesting it

"Junk yard"
    have a great hike.

Go on a three day backpacking trip. Try to do 10 miles a day. Can you do it? All a thruhike is is a bunch of weekend trips done back to back. You'll be crossing a town every couple days for much of the trip.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I appreciate your remarks, Sailor. And I too will follow the instructions that you gave. Physical Therapy is a wonderful profession which keeps us mobile. Thanks.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

ericmack, do you know about the greenway near Melton Lake? It's a great place to walk. You can park at the rowing club or Haw Ridge...the Haw Ridge side is hillier.

Start small. A thru-hike on the AT is the Olympics of long-distance hiking. I'm always amazed when I meet folks who announce that they want to do a thru hike and yet have never spent a night in the woods. Not saying some of those folks don't make it -- amazingly, some do! Prior experience isn't 100% necessary but it sure doesn't hurt, and it will give you an idea of whether this is something you really want to do or not. A good percentage of thru-hikes fail not because of physical reasons, but because the trail just didn't meet their expectations of what it was all about.

As for doing it with certain physical handicaps, only you (and you doctors) know for sure, and you won't know for sure till you try it. I had a big hunk of stainless steel in my leg, didn't keep me from walking 1/3 of the trail -- but I was certainly subject to "erroneous expectations" and it cost me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    "Junk yard"
    have a great hike.
    This is the one!

Journal Entries
    Images

Traffic- hiked Haw Ridge couple times- full of trails and hills Rafe- sorry to hear about the leg- 1/3 is frankly amazing- well done. Damn Yankee- you are right. All of the comments are right on the money and I must admit- "junk yard" made me laugh for a long time. Great name!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++