WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

If you believe in HYOH, you don't get into this debate.

P.S. my post is informational only, not to debate the subject. I would attach one of those smiley things but I think they are stupid.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

A good buddy of mine is currently hiking the AT for the 2nd time by a series of near slackpacking day hikes.
    His modus operandi is driving hours, sometimes many hours, to his last stop point, then hiking 20+ miles/day-- for what amounts to weekend day hikes with only a liter of water, a sub sandwich and his camera.
    I've hiked probably 60 miles with him this year and he likes the idea of moving fast with miniscule weight to carry with the reward of a motel to go to afterwards.

So with this I say : " Hike your own hike....my friend."
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Hike your own hike. Period.

There will always be critics in this world - no matter the subject.

Journal Entries
    Images

Funny thing about this thread.

There have been 81 posts and not a single one has suggested other people should not slack pack, or are some how inferior because they do.

OK, maybe one-- Lone Wolf's. But to my reading, even his observation as to why most people slack pack was his opinion of a fact, nothing more. If he does make value judgements about others choices, they certainly were not articulated here.

If I am right about that, then no one in this thread (zero, zilch) has suggested other people should not slack pack or are somehow inferior because they do.

So why all the hand wringing?

Is it that while Whiteblaze is essentially judgement free on this matter, people's experience on the trail is much different and that the scars from that on-trail experience have not yet healed?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i've never slackpacked while on a long distance backpacking trip. i've never done it at all. don't see the point in it. most do it just to get miles in so they can stay in town and party. actually my first trail name was Yankee Slackpacker but back then it meant you carried a full pack but slacked off on miles and goals
    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Funny thing about this thread.

There have been 81 posts and not a single one has suggested other people should not slack pack, or are some how inferior because they do.

OK, maybe one-- Lone Wolf's. But to my reading, even his observation as to why most people slack pack was his opinion of a fact, nothing more. If he does make value judgements about others choices, they certainly were not articulated here.

If I am right about that, then no one in this thread (zero, zilch) has suggested other people should not slack pack or are somehow inferior because they do.

So why all the hand wringing?

Is it that while Whiteblaze is essentially judgement free on this matter, people's experience on the trail is much different and that the scars from that on-trail experience have not yet healed?
    never said anybody was inferior or shouldn't do it

I am a purist but only hold myself to that standard. I have never slackpacked on a long distance hike. I suspect that there has been no condemnation because all the purists have quit (or have been ran off) WB. Several years ago this would have been a much more enjoyable thread.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Slackpacking isn't for me. My pack is like Linus and his blanket. It just doesn't feel right without it.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I am a purist but only hold myself to that standard. I have never slackpacked on a long distance hike. I suspect that there has been no condemnation because all the purists have quit (or have been ran off) WB. Several years ago this would have been a much more enjoyable thread.
    This "debate" isn't really about slack packing, its more to the heart of personal standards. Everyone has metrics they use in life, in their professions, or on the trail to assess themselves or establish personal standards. Sharing our own standards with others who may not share them is where the friction and debate comes from, which is needed in my view.

There are standards relative to the AT which are very high to some people (as LW points out), and minimal for others. Some, if not many of these standards are in conflict, by wide measure or nuance. These can be as simple as who has the right of way walking downhill or uphill, to more involved that do not allow one to hitch a ride along a stretch of AT on a road as opposed to walking it, and a lot of stuff in between.

I think its important to air our personal standards routinely around the "communal campfire" here, it may not change many minds, but will help us position our own personal standards with a bit more clarity and continue to maintain minimum standards common to all of us.

In the back of my brain is a thought that the purist ARE more pure. It's romantic to hike from one end to the other, are flip-floppers cheaters? To carry my pack 100+ % of the time. no blue blazes, the guy that had to touch every white blaze, etc. etc.
    But eventually reality kicks in, I don't need to judge other people, and shouldn't. I really shouldn't even judge myself really, It's about what you do, not what you SHOULD do. Be good to yourself and others. Embrace the process. Don't force the square peg into a round hole.
    We are on the trail to find peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    According to Slackpackers Anonymous I must make amends wherever possible so I guess I must rehike with a fully loaded pack the two 30 mile AT slack packs I did. Until I atone for my misdeeds I haven't been able to sleep properly at night. I'm having backpacking nightmares about it. Does anyone know of a good anti slack packing professing Psychiatrist?
    Maybe a trail angel? Maybe Nancy, with an upturned box and a sign 5-cents.

I haven't looked in on this thread, in awhile. Did I miss much?

It is my impression, the slackpacking described in the thread is called trekking elsewhere.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The only thing that matters, is what matters to you, as the hiker.
    I used to think Slackpacking was cheating... I would read about people staying at hostels or in towns and think, "why are you hiking the trail if you are going to hang around town for two days and not carry the pack at all". Until I slack packed last weekend on a piece of the Foothills trail. Carrying a little day pack for 7 miles through a section, while one of our camping partners waited around for us, was one of my favorite experiences on the trail. Not having to lug the pack up and over the mountain made for a very enjoyable, relaxing experience. It was one of my favorite hikes so far, especially since we didn't have many miles to put in, and we could really take time to stop and look around and take pictures and all. Of course, that made putting the pack on much LESS enjoyable late in the day, but I get the rationale for slack packing now. If you're hiking for a week or a month or six months, a few days here and there without the damn thing on your back could really help invigorate you. Yay for slack packing!
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I've never understood people that think this way. What does it affect me? Add long as you're happy.
    Base weight: 8lbs
    Pack: Gossamer Gear Murmur
    Hangin' with my homemade M50 hammock!!!
    "Laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk
    of renal failure" - Dale Gribble

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I used to think Slackpacking was cheating... I would read about people staying at hostels or in towns and think, "why are you hiking the trail if you are going to hang around town for two days and not carry the pack at all". Until I slack packed last weekend on a piece of the Foothills trail. Carrying a little day pack for 7 miles through a section, while one of our camping partners waited around for us, was one of my favorite experiences on the trail. Not having to lug the pack up and over the mountain made for a very enjoyable, relaxing experience. It was one of my favorite hikes so far, especially since we didn't have many miles to put in, and we could really take time to stop and look around and take pictures and all. Of course, that made putting the pack on much LESS enjoyable late in the day, but I get the rationale for slack packing now. If you're hiking for a week or a month or six months, a few days here and there without the damn thing on your back could really help invigorate you. Yay for slack packing!
    You just may be a UL in the making. imagine hiking all day with that same feeling you had for those slack packing miles.

I understand people should HYOH but let be serious. If someone is really serious about not wanting to carry a lot of weight, then wouldn't it make sense to just lighten your backpack? I travel with a fairly light-weight backpack. It doesn't make sense to have someone drive to a meet up location that is not always easy to find or access, just to save a couple of pounds. Normal it is less than 10 pounds different. Gas is not cheap and the time people spend waiting around.

Don't be lazy and just carry you gear.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    My experience is the opposite: people on trails are almost never judgemental while this is not the case online in general or on Whiteblaze in particular. Most of the "contentious " issues discussed online are simply non issues on the trail. At least that has been my experience so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    If someone is really serious about not wanting to carry a lot of weight, then wouldn't it make sense to just lighten your backpack?
    Agreed. This whole thread is advertisement for the joys of hiking light and "fast", something that otherwise tends to be more controversial on this forum.

Images

I'm not against slackpacking, but I am against paying someone to move your pack for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I'm not against slackpacking, but I am against paying someone to move your pack for you.
    exactly. and the ones that pay only want to give you gas money. i will not shuttle/slack most thru-hikers cuz they want to pay very little but they'll spend a ton on beer, pizza, cigarettes in town

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I think you hit upon something here, it is the buying easier miles that is the bug up some peoples butts. I have heard that the AT Thru is a great equalizer, cutting thru socioeconomic classes but this stands contrary to this and can create a elite class (on both sides).

As I stated above I only explicidally paid 2x for slackpacking, yet covered 130 miles slackpacking my thru. 1st time was $5 for about 18 miles, I consider that a near gift. The second time was about the same distance and $20, and that was because I needed a recovery day - suck it up, I advanced while recovering. All others were gifts. So slackpacking does not equal buying easier miles but it can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    exactly. and the ones that pay only want to give you gas money. i will not shuttle/slack most thru-hikers cuz they want to pay very little but they'll spend a ton on beer, pizza, cigarettes in town
    LittleRock, Lone Wolf,

Well put! Sending $5.00 on gas does covered someone time driving around from one point of the trail to the next. If someone takes time out of their schedule just drive someone pack around, it can be a pain in the neck and to only get gas money. Some people needed to be serious. Even fast food workers are asking for $15 per/hr. How much should someone get for driving someone around?

Wolf

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++