WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Images

Congrats on your hike. I agree, this is the most underrated hike in the southeast. Sshhhh,,,,!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Just finished the Foothills Trail this afternoon. Four outstanding days of hiking! Only met two backpackers on the entire hike. I'm not sure why this trail isn't more popular. I'd like to start from Cesar's Head SP and connect to the Bartram Trail and AT at some point. Maybe a fall hike!
    I've been wanting to do this for few years...which direction did you go? Who/how much was shuttle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hiked from Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park and I recommend that direction. The first day was easy in this direction and it would be much harder starting from Table Rock. Also, in my opinion, ending at Table Rock is a much more dramatic finish for the hike than would be the case ending at Oconee. The Foothills Trail Conference provides a list of shuttle volunteers (http://www.foothillstrail.org/shuttle-service). Jim drove me from Table Rock to Oconee and also pointed out a number of places where the trail enters and exits roadways and also provided some history of the area. The shuttle drivers accept donations but do not name any customary or recommended amount. I donated $60.

It was hard to believe how lightly the area is used in winter even with perfect (but cold) weather. I suspect that the trail is much more heavily used "in season" but frankly I think that winter is the time to be out there if a good weather window can coincide with the trip. With the leaves off the trees, no bugs, and no competition for campsites, it was great.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Thx...I'm thinking I'll start late afternoon put in around 10 or so miles then have the next 4 days to finish....I'm fine doing 15-18 mpd on southern AT and enjoy night hiking...will also bring my jack Russell who is a hiking machine..

If you start at Oconee, you will have some very nice camping opportunities as soon as you reach the Chatooga River. I went 16 miles to Burrell's Ford where there is a National Forest campground. There was no one there but I would think that in season it would be packed with people. So camping prior to that point might be nicer anyway.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

If you start at Oconee, you will have some very nice camping opportunities as soon as you reach the Chatooga River. I went 16 miles to Burrell's Ford where there is a National Forest campground. There was no one there but I would think that in season it would be packed with people. So camping prior to that point might be nicer anyway.
    Burrell's ford shouldn't exist. Car campers all over the place. I hated it. Generally people with no respect. I would do what Coffee said and camp about 1 1.5 miles before it. Again, that place shouldn't exist.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I did this hike Oct Nov as a 5 day weekend hike over 3 weekends. The trail has some amazing sections.

I was impressed with the Burrell's Ford campground improvements when viewed in the context of a developed campground. Granted, there were zero people there at the time but it seems pretty well set up as a family campground and the price is right (free). Not sure what kind of crowd would be there on a summer weekend however ...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Do u recall about how many miles before u reached river or any good tent sites on river? I will most likely start in afternoon and shoot for 10-12 miles day 1...

Starting from Oconee, you will reach the Cheohee Road after about six miles. From the Cheohee Road trailhead, it is about two miles to the Lick Log Creek where there is a campsite. There are also campsite areas immediately after the Bartram/Chatooga River trail junction. There are no camping signs at the Lick Log Falls area itself but shortly after that point a number of nice looking sites. If you want to do a few more miles, there are listed campsites in the guidebook along the river. I recommend buying the Foothills Trail guidebook and map. Both were good resources to have during the hike.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Thx... Will do

Starting from Oconee, you will reach the Cheohee Road after about six miles. From the Cheohee Road trailhead, it is about two miles to the Lick Log Creek where there is a campsite. There are also campsite areas immediately after the Bartram/Chatooga River trail junction. There are no camping signs at the Lick Log Falls area itself but shortly after that point a number of nice looking sites. If you want to do a few more miles, there are listed campsites in the guidebook along the river. I recommend buying the Foothills Trail guidebook and map. Both were good resources to have during the hike.
    By chance did you get any cell service while on fht? If so what provider? Thx

I don't keep my phone on normally so I can't say what reception is like overall. However, I did turn it on at a couple of places where I thought there would be reception. I had a signal at the benches overlooking Lake Jocasee as I approached Whitewater falls. Also had a signal that night at the designated camp shortly after lower whitewater falls. On both occasions I had only voice and no data. I had both voice and data at Sassafras Mountain and near Pinnacle and I suspect it would work anywhere as you approach the Table Rock area.

I use Republic Wireless which leases bandwidth from Sprint network. Like in most places I'd bet that Verizon would be better.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Thx....

I don't keep my phone on normally so I can't say what reception is like overall. However, I did turn it on at a couple of places where I thought there would be reception. I had a signal at the benches overlooking Lake Jocasee as I approached Whitewater falls. Also had a signal that night at the designated camp shortly after lower whitewater falls. On both occasions I had only voice and no data. I had both voice and data at Sassafras Mountain and near Pinnacle and I suspect it would work anywhere as you approach the Table Rock area.

I use Republic Wireless which leases bandwidth from Sprint network. Like in most places I'd bet that Verizon would be better.
    How tough was it to finish in 4 days? I assume similar to southern AT? Avg speed, hiking hours etc

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    How tough was it to finish in 4 days? I assume similar to southern AT? Avg speed, hiking hours etc
    My experience with the AT is almost all from SNP to southern PA so I cannot comment directly on the more southern parts of the AT. I will say that given the current amount of daylight, hiking the Foothills Train in four days required using most of the available daylight hours. I was up each day around 5:30 and packed up and hiking by 7 using my headlamp just for the first 15 minutes or so. On two nights I got to camp around 5pm but once I rolled into camp around 5:45 and didn't have much time to set up before it got dark. I like hiking and don't like spending much time in camp so this was OK with me. Someone who likes having more time in camp probably would be better off with a five day hike at least at this time of year.

I'm not sure what the exact elevation gain/loss is for the trail but it did seem like there were more ups and downs than the elevation profile implied.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

for all campsites, water sources and other resources for the Foothills Trail check out the new Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Foothills Trail at: www.Thruhikersmanual.com

Hey Coffee, glad you enjoyed your hike! We actually met on our second day on the trail (probably your third). I (Jamie) was hiking with my wife (Katy), doing a 30-mile section from Laurel Valley to Bad Creek Access. We had a wonderful hike and I'd love to get back up there and either thru hike it or hike the sections we missed one day. We camped along Lake Jocassee at the same spot you posted a picture of. Our second night's camp was along BearCreek. Anyway, just wanted to say hey!

Hi he.whoforgets! I definitely remember you and your wife since you were the only two backpackers I met on my entire trip! Glad you had a great time on the trail.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I feel bad now that we didn't chat longer seeing that we're the only ones you saw in 4 days!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++