WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Has anyone ever used reusable hand warmers/ice packs made from sodium acetate?

Yep, I bought some from Thinkgeek that were on clearance. They work great, one I have used and recharged several dozen times. Still gets just as hot as the first time.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

I've inquired at the website but I'll ask here too. How have you recharged them on trail? What I'm wondering is when recharging in boiling water can you safely consume the water after recharging? What I'm getting at is when I boil water for trail food can I recharge them first in that water at the same time reducing fuel consumption?

At home I make bags sewn up from kitchen towels. Sew 2 sides then fill with dry pinto beans or such. Sew the bag shut. So you have this bean bag. Put in the microwave, experiment with how long to heat. And you have this nice heat pack. long and skinny for your neck, square-ish for chest congestion, bed warmer. No good for the trail.
    Heating up a rock about the size of a baseball and holding it wrap a t shirt around it and your hand, maybe put the hot rock in a sock put the sock on should heat up your toes.

My brother has one of the neck/back ones for shoulder/neck pain. I can't imagine that it would be good for backpacking.

If I'm remembering correctly... They are very pliable and the inside is liquid gel when they are first activated. As they cool off, the "stuff" inside become more dense and solid.

The PITA part is in the reusing. 1) You have bring a pot of water to boiling. 2) Once the water is boiling, THEN you boil the pad for 5-10 mins. Then you take it from the water and let it cool to room temp.

After you do all this, then you can do the disk click thing again.

From the company's website: "Once the pack has given off all of its heat it will remain in a crystallized harden form until it is recharged. To regenerate your click and heat pack, place it in already boiling water and continue boiling for a period of 5-10 minutes (do not allow vinyl coating to touch the pot or bowl directly), or until all of the crystals have melted back to a clear liquid state".

This recharging process is really a pain. I don't think that they use it anymore. I think that they use the more convenient microwavable neck pillows filled with seeds (not that this would work backpacking, either). http://www.amazon.com/Microwaveable-...ed+neck+pillow

As so often, I'm applying the usage of this product to trail life. I was just given a multipack of these containing 2 pocket warmers, which is what I'm thinking would be the only design of these I would consider for the trail, two hand warmers(w/ handle straps on them), and two foot warmers. This kit was on sale at a Krogers for $15.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh I have seen this before! What a great idea! It so--- often used by top trail junkies and some Slack-o-packers.....How do you slide that between .... Nevermind!

Neat find... couldn't hold back. Forgive me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I've had one for somewhere close to fifteen years now, still works fine.

Years ago Primus sold them to heat their fuel canisters. They were shaped to fit under the concave base. Worked great, but I don't have a clue what happened to mine. Last time I can remember having them was about fifteen years ago.

Journal Entries

Yes, but I consider them a pita and would not take hiking. Some down !ottens would weigh less.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What I'm wondering is when recharging in boiling water can you safely consume the water after recharging?
    I'm thinking, "Ewwwwww!!!!!". I just can't imagine that these things are made of food grade plastic. I hate the thought of you boiling these plastic hot pads and then cooking your organic high quality food with the plastic molecules and eating it.

Journal Entries
    Images

And there's your sign folks... She may be brushing teeth with Crest or Colgate, using underarm deodorant, and jumping into chlorinated bromated water for a shower. Whats the color of the hair & nails and how did that get there. Don't take this personally ... I just don't think you have thought this through. Just don't eat the paint chips. Its not you - its just me being me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If you heat up something made of plastic or glass make sure it does not touch the bottom of the pot while heating it. I've broken too many qt. jars when canning. set it off the bottom with a couple of pebbles or such. The freezer pouches are probably food grade, but just too heavy to pack with.

I bought some in Taiwan in 2004 that are still in use. Great for warming fingers before a recital.

But, you'll get much more warmth for your fuel by pouring the water as soon as it boils into a Nalgene and tossing it in your sleeping bag.

++ New Posts ++