WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Get the weight piece.......years ago my mother in law got me a subscription to National Geographic, with it came a FREE caribiner knife. Kershaw. Sharp. Light. Clips onto my pack so I always know where it is.

Couple mentions of Spyderco here - that's what I went with (getting delivered today actually). I choose the Spyderco Manbug at 0.65 ounces / 18.5 grams. Lockback (which is important to me on such a small knife), and VG10 steel which is excellent. Only thing I don't like is it's not made in the USA, but it's Spyderco so the quality should be sufficient.

I've been using a locking Spyderco Ladybug knife for 6 years (17grams). I've been very happy with it.

Another vote for the Spyderco Ladybug.

For a reliable ultralight folder - the Gerber LST Ultralight or the Spyderco Ladybug 3 are fantastic choices. Both around 0.6oz.

I, as a knife guru, prefer a fixed-blade in the woods 100% of the time. I bring along a Mora 2/0, I replaced the handle with a custom one made from beechwood, and made a nice kydex neck sheath rig for it. Whole kit still weigh's just a tad under 2oz's. And this knife can do some pretty serious work!

I like my SAK.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Swiss Army Classic SD.

I too use the Syderco Ladybug or Delica as my EDC. I can find no better cutting effiencency in a folder. I also keep a Gerber mini multi tool in my pack.

I had a Spyderco Pirahana I never used except to cut open pesky plastic and foil freeze-dried and dehydrated food packaging. Now, I have Snippit, from Canada.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...knt/R-I4110410

I saw it for sale at a grocery store, here, in the USA.

Google Search: Snippit bag opener
    Last edited by Connie; 02-15-2015 at 14:24.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I take along a very small (2.25 inch blade) Buck, folding knife. 0.9 oz. When I started hiking back in the 1960's I took a knife that weighed well over a pound. A 95% weight reduction is good enough for me.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

+1 on the Mora. Super light, super sharp , super strong fixed blade. Can't beat it.

I enjoy a good knife. My Grand-father was old school and taught me that every gentleman should carry a handkerchief and a knife. So I always have (except flying). A knife is also something I don't skimp on. I guess if you are not used to carrying one the weight may be noticeable. Mora was mentioned, the are inexpensive, sharp, fixed blade, hold an edge, and with a scandi grind, are very easy to field sharpen. I have a few of them. I also have a number of Helle knives and will probably carry one of those on my thru hike next year. They are not light if by light you mean 2 oz. They are beautifully made, easy to keep very sharp, middle of the road priced. Most everyone here will think that any of these knives are way overkill and you are probably right. Because I have carried one and used one most of my life, I just see a knife as almost indispensable. I always feel like something is missing when I don't have one. There are many good knives out there, I just like to have one that easy to maintain.

I don't normally carry a knife for every day use, and if I did it wouldn't be one with a clip, but for long hikes I want a real knife with real steel that I can find when I need it. At 2 oz the Kershaw I use is a little heavy for some but I like it, it's always clipped in my right pocket for easy access, long enough to cut through a large block of cheese or beef stick and strong enough to cut extra tent pegs if needed...wouldn't want to try that with a razor blade.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-3410-C...rds=kershaw+rj

Images

I have a Schrade 12OT… made in USA with carbon steel blade. It weighs in at 0.8oz. If you get a Schrade, look on ebay for the old ones made in USA. The company was bought out a few years ago and now they are made in China, resulting in the quality going way downhill.

OldTimer12OT2.JPG

I've bring an openel, just a little over one once.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++