WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Super Lite Knife

I'm not a real knife fan on the trail, but I just saw this on TV, and I thought it was worth sharing. This one has a 2.5" blade and weighs just 13 grams. See it at:

https://www.getmicroknife.com/cttris...e-67d02d45cc6f

Images

i have a few of these. fun toy but i don't think it will hold up opening and closing often . i carry a single edge razor blade when thinking UL
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i have a few of these. fun toy but i don't think it will hold up opening and closing often . i carry a single edge razor blade when thinking UL
    KK, perfect. and use the cardboard sheath, too. sometimes needs a tiny tape patch on the cardboard. no need for anything else.
    Lazarus

Okay I like this idea I never use my knife anyhow but what do you guys do for clipping your nails. I usually buy nail clippers when I'm in town and just throw them away but it seems so wasteful. I should also say I'm too lazy for bounce box.

I have been carrying since my AT thru a Buck Nano Bantam. It is a folding lockback, weighs about 17 g and has about a 2 inch blade. Plus it is made in USA. Use it mainly to slice pepperoni and cheese.
    More walking, less talking.

I keep a Gerber LST in my pocket pretty much always. $12 and 0.6 oz.

+1 on the LST Rafe I have one and use it as my EDC as well, it has held up for over 10 years and still going strong.
    http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials...ST-Knife_46050
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

After getting a little heavy handed on my Bear Gryliss gerber last weekend, I picke a Gerber Dime and it seems like its going to be a good knife.

I thought it was light at 2.2 oz or 63 grams! But after reading your numbers it's a wonder I'm not walking lopsided with this heavy thing!

http://www.rei.com/product/832504/ge...tool#tab-specs

I have carried a Gerber LST, one made in Portland OR., everyday for the last 26 years. Holds an edge and you never even know it is your pocket. It has enough of a handle to grip it securely with gloves on. The locking blade is strong and secure. It has a knurled section so wet frozen fingers can grip it when cutting large thick items when you need force. It holds an edge well and has performed flawlessly for over a quarter of a century.
    Anything smaller and your hand could slip and get a nasty wound.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

I had a older version of the Trango Pirhana, that had small serated blade. It is a folding lockback.

Zelph, here in this forum, sent me a single edge razor blade with cardboard slipcover, with a recent order from woodgaz-stove. He included two tiny saw blades, about the size of a single edge razor blade, that I couldn't believe how sharp. Those saw blades could make nice little feather sticks, or, at least rough up small twigs for tinder., or, for a small "twiggy fire" cooking fire.

Those tiny saw blades are some kind of special steel. I have no idea what material. They are sharp.

Have I joined the ranks of SUL?

You can get a 5 pack of Dermasafe knives for $10 on Amazon. They're basically a long razor blade with a plastic handle that makes it easier/safer to work with. No more than a few grams each. I keep one with my first aid kit, and just carry it in my pocket if I'm likely to need it more handy.
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Folding-...dp/B005EADU8K/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I'm not a real knife fan on the trail, but I just saw this on TV, and I thought it was worth sharing. This one has a 2.5" blade and weighs just 13 grams. See it at:

https://www.getmicroknife.com/cttris...e-67d02d45cc6f
    I have seen these and thought the idea was neat, but don't think I would trust the knife to any real use. But if it is something anyone has an interest in look locally because I see them at gun shows and shops as well as convenience stores for $3-5. Much better than the $13 + $8 shipping offered on the website.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

dosent say what strength of steel - I will pass.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I couldn't find the Gerber LST local,so I got this one:
    http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials...Knife_22-41122

Images

Many years ago my mother in law gave me a subscription to National Geographic. Along with it came a free caribiner knife. Kershaw blade.

To me there are two issues..........what knife and weight, but WHERE do you keep it?

I like having this clipped onto the outside of my pack vs having to get into a gear bag. Cutting something, carving a tent stake, whatever.

My $.03

Images

One thing I will not skimp on due to weight is a good trail knife. It serves so many functions from chopping garlic, ginger, onion, etc, to whittling, slicing cheese and sausages... The latest, spyderco, weighs in at 2.1oz. Basically the weight of 2 bandanas, and well worth the weight.

Images

chershaw chill
    full metal skeletonmaxresdefault.jpg
    super strong
    good length
    great lateral stiffness.
    its a knife not a razon.

just an option

YMMV
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    You can get a 5 pack of Dermasafe knives for $10 on Amazon. They're basically a long razor blade with a plastic handle that makes it easier/safer to work with. No more than a few grams each. I keep one with my first aid kit, and just carry it in my pocket if I'm likely to need it more handy.
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Folding-...dp/B005EADU8K/
    I'm thrilled with those ones I picked up on ebay!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

spyderco bug.

10.5g

1.25" slip joint blade.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Ounces are the little-death

+1 for DermaSafe.
    I have yet to encounter a bell pepper, block of cheese or summer meat that can stand up to its ferocity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++