WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pain Relief Medicine over the Counter or Easy to get?

After Cowboying through a Kidney stone last weekend, (Kids, don't try that at home!), I was wondering what the consensus would be on the group for carrying pain relief pills ?

What's the strongest for headache, body ache and muscle pain that you guys know to carry.

I had some prescription strength at one time something like 800 mg per pill but sadly it's all gone.

I think you need a prescription for anything over 200 mg Ibuprofen, Aleve, etc. Motrin is 800 mg (basically 4 Ibuprofen).

One time on the CDT I had a bad tooth and got antibiotics and Percocets from a dentist. The antibiotics ended up doing the trick and I had the pain killers until after the hike.

Images

I see quite a few hikers carrying prescriptions from home for antibiotics to fight Lyme Disease.

Many doctors in our area don't test patients with symptoms of Lyme's....they just prescribe the pills.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

For serious pain the strongest OTC stuff I've used is Aleve. For less extreme situations, plain old Ibuprofen. I usually carry one or two Percocet-type pills leftover from prescriptions for emergency use, never had to use them.

Passing a kidney stone is a unique situation that anything less then morphine isn't likely to help

For the general aches and pains of hiking, I use plain old Aspirin and as little as possible at that. I can't imagine the damage some people do to themselves eating handfuls of Ibuprofen and the like for extended periods of time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    After Cowboying through a Kidney stone last weekend, (Kids, don't try that at home!), I was wondering what the consensus would be on the group for carrying pain relief pills ?

What's the strongest for headache, body ache and muscle pain that you guys know to carry.

I had some prescription strength at one time something like 800 mg per pill but sadly it's all gone.
    Oh boy. Someone else too. What's worse is ignoring kidney stones until you're hiking.

Just a couple months ago, I suspected I had a kidney stone/kidney stones and possibly mild beginning urinary tract infection(UTI) pre hike(s) through self diagnosis. Later, found out the UTI was being caused and being further aggravated by the kidney stone issue that I thought I could soldier away. The cause of the kidney stone(s) may have been because I wasn't drinking enough water compounded by the heavy regular coffee drinker I can be when not hiking. The acids in coffee can be a bitch when going to the coffee drinking extremes I was. Without seeing a health care practitioner, and since I already had time slotted to hike, all prepared for the hikes, I went on the hikes instead.

A week into the hike, while still not drinking enough plain clean spring/trail water and still consuming coffee in mass while traveling to the various THs and in towns, the pain in my lower back to the right of my spine, abdomen below my rib cage, and groin became a 8-9 on a 1-10 scale. I would have to take my backpack off writhing in pain on the ground until the pain subsided. I couldn't get comfortable. I managed the pain as best I mentally could and popping those few emergency Alleve typically in my First Aid kit. I also upped my hydration of water to more than 10 glasses /day. The coffee drinking was eliminated which I don't typically consume on trail anyway. That was enough to get to the next resupply town stop.

Saw a conventional western trained M.D.. Yup, had at least one large kidney stone, some smaller ones, and a UTI as I had suspected. Antibiotic, kidney stone breaking meds, Percocet scripts, and one other prescription were offered. Some talk of potential surgery was discussed. Meager to no advice was offered, despite me asking, about the causes of these issues. I felt unfulfilled as it's my crazy notion that I want my questions answered regarding causes and prevention, like to prevent this from occurring again, what I might have done incorrectly, or escalating into the need for expensive surgery.

Made a follow up appt with an Integrative Health Care Practioner, like Dr. Oz or Dr. Andrew Weil, who advised drinking plain cranberry/pomegranite/ juice and/or taking cranberry extract pills(I did both), adding certain foods(lemons, blueberries, turmeric, ginger, fresh parsley,) drinking dandelion tea(surprisingly I found this at a local conventional grocery store), copious amts of spring water, staying away from some foods/drinks(NO coffee!, NO soda), non prescription pain reliever to be taken ONLY if other pain management techniques weren't enough, a product called Stone Breaker(largely a herbal liquid formula), and a largely herbal Kidney Flush pill( I forget the name). Three days later all gone. I've followed up though by continuing the juices, water, elimination of coffee, kidney/UT flushing.

https://www.pureformulas.com/stone-b...5240001647782#.

I hear you about the pain but please be aware that popping pain pills are only a temporary solution to managing the symptom of pain not a solution that addresses the cause of that pain. Don't regularly attempt to cowboy through kidney stone pain as I did. It can lead to a UTI and much pain. See a doctor. Rid yourself of the stones not just the pain. There are lots of approaches.

Oh, BTW, the M.D. visit was $144. Don't know how much all those prescriptions would have been but I suspect easily more than $40. The Health Care Practioner I saw charged me $70. All the stuff I bought this doctor suggested, largely food/drinks, that were pretty good anyway, cost me $44 and a follow up $6 bottle of unsweetened cranberry pomegranate juice. I'd send ya free the rest of the Stone Breaker and Kidney Flush pills if you wanted to try that approach as I still have some but I mailed them back home to Hawaii and I'm not currently there. There is that Health Food Store, Spice n Nice I think it's called, in Bennington between the Subway and Mountain Goat Outfitter on the same side of the street though.

I hear you Dogwood. No I didn't mean to say I wanted to get past it by popping pain pills.

I was looking for something exactly for the reason you described. Out on the trail and getting one then. I too was crawling to the bathroom from the motel bed because couldn't stand up or even laying on the bad whipped my butt!

Something meds in the lightest package possible to carry to knock the edge off enough in that kinda pain to get to a trailhead or town was my intent.

I'm up in Canada on the job but will look for that store when I get back to Bennington to see if the herbal stuff is there.

I only drink a couple of cups coffee in the morning but please don't let BudLite be a cause!

rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Oh boy. Someone else too. What's worse is ignoring kidney stones until you're hiking.

Just a couple months ago, I suspected I had a kidney stone/kidney stones and possibly mild beginning urinary tract infection(UTI) pre hike(s) through self diagnosis. Later, found out the UTI was being caused and being further aggravated by the kidney stone issue that I thought I could soldier away. The cause of the kidney stone(s) may have been because I wasn't drinking enough water compounded by the heavy regular coffee drinker I can be when not hiking. The acids in coffee can be a bitch when going to the coffee drinking extremes I was. Without seeing a health care practitioner, and since I already had time slotted to hike, all prepared for the hikes, I went on the hikes instead.

A week into the hike, while still not drinking enough plain clean spring/trail water and still consuming coffee in mass while traveling to the various THs and in towns, the pain in my lower back to the right of my spine, abdomen below my rib cage, and groin became a 8-9 on a 1-10 scale. I would have to take my backpack off writhing in pain on the ground until the pain subsided. I couldn't get comfortable. I managed the pain as best I mentally could and popping those few emergency Alleve typically in my First Aid kit. I also upped my hydration of water to more than 10 glasses /day. The coffee drinking was eliminated which I don't typically consume on trail anyway. That was enough to get to the next resupply town stop.

Saw a conventional western trained M.D.. Yup, had at least one large kidney stone, some smaller ones, and a UTI as I had suspected. Antibiotic, kidney stone breaking meds, Percocet scripts, and one other prescription were offered. Some talk of potential surgery was discussed. Meager to no advice was offered, despite me asking, about the causes of these issues. I felt unfulfilled as it's my crazy notion that I want my questions answered regarding causes and prevention, like to prevent this from occurring again, what I might have done incorrectly, or escalating into the need for expensive surgery.

Made a follow up appt with an Integrative Health Care Practioner, like Dr. Oz or Dr. Andrew Weil, who advised drinking plain cranberry/pomegranite/ juice and/or taking cranberry extract pills(I did both), adding certain foods(lemons, blueberries, turmeric, ginger, fresh parsley,) drinking dandelion tea(surprisingly I found this at a local conventional grocery store), copious amts of spring water, staying away from some foods/drinks(NO coffee!, NO soda), non prescription pain reliever to be taken ONLY if other pain management techniques weren't enough, a product called Stone Breaker(largely a herbal liquid formula), and a largely herbal Kidney Flush pill( I forget the name). Three days later all gone. I've followed up though by continuing the juices, water, elimination of coffee, kidney/UT flushing.

https://www.pureformulas.com/stone-b...5240001647782#.

I hear you about the pain but please be aware that popping pain pills are only a temporary solution to managing the symptom of pain not a solution that addresses the cause of that pain. Don't regularly attempt to cowboy through kidney stone pain as I did. It can lead to a UTI and much pain. See a doctor. Rid yourself of the stones not just the pain. There are lots of approaches.

Oh, BTW, the M.D. visit was $144. Don't know how much all those prescriptions would have been but I suspect easily more than $40. The Health Care Practioner I saw charged me $70. All the stuff I bought this doctor suggested, largely food/drinks, that were pretty good anyway, cost me $44 and a follow up $6 bottle of unsweetened cranberry pomegranate juice. I'd send ya free the rest of the Stone Breaker and Kidney Flush pills if you wanted to try that approach as I still have some but I mailed them back home to Hawaii and I'm not currently there. There is that Health Food Store, Spice n Nice I think it's called, in Bennington between the Subway and Mountain Goat Outfitter on the same side of the street though.

I tore a ligament in my leg once, miles from the nearest road crossing. I didn't have anything to take at the time except Ibuprofen, 200 mg., and I started taking them. I had to get to a campsite to camp that night, and would have to hike out the next day. I took 400 mg. right then, and then 200 mg. every 2 hours until night. In just a very short time, my stomach was killing me from the huge doses of Ibuprofen, and I had a miserable night - pain, nauesa, and stomach pain. I hiked out the next day and vowed it would never happen again.

I had always hiked with what I call "emergency pain meds" - something prescription strength, that would take care of serious pain from an injury or illness. I somehow managed to miss packing them for that one trip, and it was one awful bad trip because of it. Now I always have something with me that is strong enough to cover almost any emergency that would cause severe pain. Four years ago I broke my leg (in my back yard) and spent a long time thinking about what it might have been like to have had that happen on the trail without any pain meds. Not it I can help it!

Images

About the strongest non prescription pain relievers available OTC are ibuprofen and alleve (naproxen). The maximum daily recommended dose for normal, healthy adults is 2400mg of ibuprofen and 1000mg of naproxen.

Journal Entries

II bring a couple of oxycodone also. Particularly in case of a kidney stone. I had one before, and think a broken leg would be less pain.

Dental abscess would be another, just not as bad. When I had one, oxycodone only worked for 30 min when it peaked I suppose.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-23-2014 at 12:19.

Images

One should always take NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) with food and lots of water then still be alert for stomach issues as Trailweaver reported above.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I have dislocated both knees multiple times. When my left knee folds 90deg to the side, it's just a little painful. I wear knee braces to help prevent it from happening, but also stock some vicodin in my first aid kit, in case it happens in the backcountry. (I am frequently off trail and in rugged, remote areas.) In my daily life, I manage the chronic pain without meds, however, when I hiked the JMT, I went to my Dr for a prescription of vicodin. I dont think I could have finished the trail without them, as long descents really hurt. I wasn't taking one every day....usually only at the top of a pass...but they played a major role in the success of my hike.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Images

I have had kidney stones and passed one the size of a grain of rice without pain meds. The antibiotic I got after the passing was helpful though. The kidney stone pain was about "bad menstrual cramp" level until I was within an hour of passing it, when it shot up to an 8.5 on a scale of 10. That said, I passed mine in the hospital because I thought I had (front abdomen pain) a potential case of appendicitis.

The kidney stones I have had since then have all been passed at home with 200 mg Ibu as necessary (up to 800 mg in a single dose). Never needed to get that high. Except for The Biggun, the kidney stones have been well within the scale of "menstrual cramps" in terms of pain. Heck, I have had cramps that are worse than some stones.

To that end, I wonder if Midol isn't all you'd need to bring on a hike in addition to your Vitamin I if you were worried about kidney stones.

Just be aware that scientific studies have shown that it isn't the 'cranberry', but the increased liquid consumption that aids in clearing UTIs and kidney stones, though the placebo affect cannot hurt. I recently fought off a UTI - the first in over a decade - by upping my water consumption, alone; the science works!

Also, there are lots of causes of kidney stones. Those caused by caffeine intake can be mitigated/prevented on a different way than those caused by calcium/dairy excess, which are in turn different than the ones caused by genetic high uric acid levels (mine) which can only be ultrasounded away. Which is all to say, take product recommendations on the Internet with a grain of salt as - though it is a kidney stone - you might be comparing apples and oranges and what works for Apple might fail for Orange.

<3, Too Many Kidney Stones in my Life

It depends on who you talk to although many conventional western medical trained M.D.s prescribe cranberry juice and/or cranberry extracts for prevention and treatment of UTI's. Some even go so far as being open to it's use in kidney health.

Here are two sources, that VERY much support conventional mainstream western medicine and being heavily influenced by the pharmaceutical industry, quoting studies that demonstrate cranberry juices effectiveness. So it's not just a placebo effect. There IS REAL science REAL studies that says it helps some people.

http://www.webmd.com/urinary-inconti...uti-protection

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5197062...ice-utis_.html

Just be aware that scientific studies have shown that it isn't the 'cranberry', but the increased liquid consumption that aids in clearing UTIs and kidney stones, though the placebo affect cannot hurt. I recently fought off a UTI - the first in over a decade - by upping my water consumption, alone; the science works!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    II bring a couple of oxycodone also. Particularly in case of a kidney stone. I had one before, and think a broken leg would be less pain.

Dental abscess would be another, just not as bad. When I had one, oxycodone only worked for 30 min when it peaked I suppose.
    Oh yeah that was another one. Tooth ache, ouch!
    My nurse daughter in law said a couple of percosets if prescribed would probably help some to.

So for normal trips
    Aleve or Advil
    aspirin in 800 mg pills
    Tylenol 3 with codeine (puts me asleep fast)

emergency use only remote areas prescription needed
    oxycodone
    vicodan (this is a big one though, yes?)
    Percosets

Should ask my druggie cousin I guess. He'd know.

Woops. Meant ibuprofen in 800 mg form.

also learned something here that should be taken with food to avoid stomach problems. Always had the misguided idea that the lone medicine would be absorbed quicker for pain relief rather than diluted by the food being digested with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Oh yeah that was another one. Tooth ache, ouch!
    My nurse daughter in law said a couple of percosets if prescribed would probably help some to.

So for normal trips
    Aleve or Advil
    aspirin in 800 mg pills
    Tylenol 3 with codeine (puts me asleep fast)

emergency use only remote areas prescription needed
    oxycodone
    vicodan (this is a big one though, yes?)
    Percosets

Should ask my druggie cousin I guess. He'd know.

The question is where do you get the controlled narcotics/pain killers? My MD experience is no Rx without seeing me first. The last time I asked my GP for something like this for a 3 week walk he wasn't real open to the idea of prescribing drugs for "just in case" use. His rationale was well stated and covered three issues;

1. Without seeing a patient, the drug dosage may not be right for the type of pain or for the medical issue involved (using the appendix as a good example of something that could be masked with medications until death).

2. The chance of overdosing or mixing various drug compounds that could cause problems was high.

3. He enjoys his medical license as is protective of it, prescribing this kind of medication has a lot of professional issues attached like what happens if I get these pills from him but in a moment of good intentions give them to someone else who has a life threatening reaction (or death) in using them.

I am not sure how eager MDs are to provide this to people, but perhaps there are doctors who will take the risk. Myself, beyond OTC medications and those I am supposed to take daily, if I have pain issues at the level they require narcotics, its time to find a way out and get to medical facilities.

As a question though, if you had a supply of drugs like oxycodone, would you offer these to someone you find on the trail who is suffering high pain levels?

Images

Many MDs will prescribe a limited number of medications for emergency back-country use. Just have to find one who understands. Regarding the possibility that you will offer the meds to someone else, that is a possibility with every single prescription the Doc writes, so shouldn't be a major issue. Now if you return to the Doc every two months for more meds, they may get suspicious and start to refuse.

I actually had a dentist prescribe some "just in case" narcotics because I was part way through a dental procedure when a backpacking trip intervened. There was a potential for the pain to increase significantly, so he felt comfortable with the prescription. Plus, he was always interested in my backpacking adventures and would ask to be filled in about them every check-up. Guess that lent credibility to my situation.

AT Traveler: I've never had trouble getting meds for travel use. I've spent some time in Asia and South America and needed "just in case" doses and was always accommodated; though the pharmacist wanted to know "what I had" You may need a new MD.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If you walk into an MD you don't know and ask them to prescribe, they'll likely refuse. If you're talking about a trip with them and discussing what you need, and they've seen you before, it's likely to be different. I know that before a planned 135-mile hike this past summer, I went to my doc, and had no problem with getting 'scripts for a broad-spectrum antibiotic and an opioid painkiller. I understood that if I started either one, I needed to see a doctor. He understood that I needed to get to a doctor first, and that dysentery, or an orthopedic problem, could kind of get in the way of that project when I might be two days' walk from a trailhead.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++