WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Where to find pouches of chicken?

Ok I've used tuna pouches in trail recipes and have had no trouble finding them at my local grocery store. Where do you get chicken pouches? I can't find them at my local grocery store. Do I have to order them from amazon? Any other suggestions?

I've never had trouble finding those at the grocery store as well. Have you asked an employee to help you find them?

It has been hit and miss at the grocery store at times. I have also found them at Target.

Noticed 7 ounce chicken pouches at Wal Mart last time I shopped there. I don't like the calories per ounce of these pouches however.

Images

Also if you have a Krogers nearby, check them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Noticed 7 ounce chicken pouches at Wal Mart last time I shopped there. I don't like the calories per ounce of these pouches however.
    What? The whole point is to carry calorie packed food at the lightest weight - Tuna is generally too dry on the trail, I take smoked Salmon and chicken... Maybe I am not following something here.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

We're talking protein here, no? Not pure carbs or fat.

Images

All the wal-marts I have been to have the Tyson pouches for $2.38.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What? The whole point is to carry calorie packed food at the lightest weight - Tuna is generally too dry on the trail, I take smoked Salmon and chicken... Maybe I am not following something here.
    I try to take food with an average of 125 calories per ounce. Chicken and tuna pouches are far short of that level. Some like them anyway which is fine, but the cost is that food weight will be higher to carry equivalent calories. I don't have the calorie figures for the seven ounce chicken pouch in front of me but it is well short of even 100 calories per ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    We're talking protein here, no? Not pure carbs or fat.
    There are other sources of protein such as nuts that pack more calories per ounce. As I said, some are ok with the relatively low calories per ounce of chicken or tuna and that's fine. Just wanted to point out a possible downside.

Krogers has chicken pouches

I don't have a Krogers near me but I do have a Wal-Mart and a Target - I'll check there. Thanks all for the tips! And yes the point was to mix a little protein into my dinners.

Believe it or not, the store that I've found most reliably stocks chicken in pouches is KMart. Yep. Kmart.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Check different stores. I have found, over the years, that each store may carry them one year and not the other.

Many people are unaware that they can go to the store manager (or someone in charge of customer service) and make a request for a product that is not currently on the shelf. I use Kroger here, and know one of the managers (there are 3 here), so I do it all the time. I didn't know it for a long time, but I am told that all stores try to make products available to anyone who requests them.

Sometimes they get the product in, call you, stock a "lot" on the shelves, and find that a whole lot of people really like it, buy it, and all is good with the world. Sometimes it's only you, and then you have to request it when you want it, but usually, if they can get it thru their distributer, they will.

You folks need to learn to ask for what you want! ;- )

Journal Entries

Here in Maine Shaws carries it but Hannafords do not.

Journal Entries
    Images

I try to take food with an average of 125 calories per ounce. Chicken and tuna pouches are far short of that level. Some like them anyway which is fine, but the cost is that food weight will be higher to carry equivalent calories. I don't have the calorie figures for the seven ounce chicken pouch in front of me but it is well short of even 100 calories per ounce.
    Unlike the other UL 100+ calories foods, Tuna does not have a high caloric density. 3 ounces of tuna has only 90 calories. But it provides something else that is sometimes in short supply on the trail: Protein. (Caveat I prefer Salmon as its less dry)
    Protein is not as important as carbohydrates for energy, but it is important for cell rejuvenation and muscle maintenance (and it tastes good).

Other types of meat which are good for backpacking are: foil pack salmon, chicken breast, and SPAM, as well as cured meats like: salami, pepperoni and summer sausage, Landjaeger

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Many people are unaware that they can go to the store manager (or someone in charge of customer service) and make a request for a product that is not currently on the shelf....
    Every time I check out at the grocery store, the cashiers ask "Did you find everything OK?" (I think they are trained to use those exact words). If I was looking for something they don't have, I will say "No I didn't". Then they give me that "deer in headlights look" as if it just a formality and I was supposed to mindlessly say yes. It seems they are all trained to ask, but they are not trained how to respond if the answer is "no".

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Every time I check out at the grocery store, the cashiers ask "Did you find everything OK?" (I think they are trained to use those exact words). If I was looking for something they don't have, I will say "No I didn't". Then they give me that "deer in headlights look" as if it just a formality and I was supposed to mindlessly say yes. It seems they are all trained to ask, but they are not trained how to respond if the answer is "no".
    They always ask at my local Trader Joe's. Earlier this year, they were out of stock of dry cheese and pesto tortellini which makes a GREAT trail dinner. So I said, "No, I didn't find what I needed." and got that deer in the headlights look. But the manager actually was able to help me. The product was imported from Italy and there was a problem in customs. It is now back in stock, whether due to my question or not I have no idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++