WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clothing Critique - AT NOBO 4/3/15

Would love some critiques on this clothing set-up for an AT thru next year. What would you change? I think my warm gear is pretty straight forward, but am I going overkill with cold clothing? I'm trying to have one of the lightest packs on the trail

Merino/capilene Silkweight s/s 3.6oz
    REI Polartec Midweight l/s 8.9 (COLD)
    Wind Shell (hooded) 1.95oz
    UL down jacket 6.42oz (COLD)
    rain jacket (hooded) 7.0oz

ExOfficio boxer briefs 3.0oz x2
    merino leggings 200 weight 5.9oz (COLD)
    UL running shorts 4.5oz
    rain pants 4.0oz

merino running socks 1.0oz x2
    merino crew socks camp/sleep 3.7oz (COLD)

UL ball cap 1.8oz
    microfleece beanie 0.7oz (COLD)
    Zpacks down hood 1.3oz (COLD)
    wool buff 1.9oz
    wool glove liners 3.3oz (COLD)
    MLD eVENT rain mitts 1.2oz (COLD)

w/ cold weather gear
    4lb 0.17oz

warm weather gear
    2lb 0.75oz

Would like some thoughts on ditching the REI midlayer all-together vs ditching it as it warms up. Hiking in a down jacket wouldn't be ideal, but I imagine would only be needed for an hour or two max on the coldest days.

My sleep system includes a hoodless quilt and tarp set up, so the beanie and buff are both necessary. The down hood will probably be overkill, but 1.3oz and the fact ill be carrying it no more than a month and a half max i dont have a problem bringing it.

any other thoughts on this clothing set-up for a NOBO AT thru starting 4/3/15 would be great. I don't carry any kind of camp shoes currently. may make some out of foam for when it warms up.

Have you worn Polartec Midweight? It feels bulky, to me.

I like 150 weight merino under a windshirt I can ventilate.

I like a 1/2 zip better than a 1/4 zip, that, or, a 2-way zipper or side-zip anorak style.

If you are not inside your sleeping system, preparing meals, I would think you would need something to avoid feeling cold in the campsite.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-22-2014 at 20:19.

Now I'm not actually sure if it is the lightweight or the midweight, because it doesn't feel bulky to me. I keep all my stuff form-fitting (if even a LITTLE too small) if I can help it. I have worn it quite a bit. I have at least some experience wearing all of these pieces except the down hood and rain mitts (bought both for winter camping in WNC this year). Would you recommend leaving it at home or finding a lighter l/s? It's a 1/2 zip btw

The merino 1 is 120 weight and the wind jacket is full zip. Absolutely love this combo too! Can easily hike down to freezing temp wearing just those two pieces up top.

I guess your final point would be a judgement call. If I left out the polartec l/s altogether, I'd be wearing all of my clothing every cold night and sometimes not being able to "hang out" without being in my quilt. Pretty confident I'll be comfortable in camp down to 15F or so if I left my set-up as is. still open for advice or thoughts from those with more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefarm View Post
    The merino 1 is 120 weight and the wind jacket is full zip. Absolutely love this combo too! Can easily hike down to freezing temp wearing just those two pieces up top.

I guess your final point would be a judgement call. If I left out the polartec l/s altogether, I'd be wearing all of my clothing every cold night and sometimes not being able to "hang out" without being in my quilt. Pretty confident I'll be comfortable in camp down to 15F or so if I left my set-up as is. still open for advice or thoughts from those with more experience.
    I do not have experience of the AT.

I wear my clothing like you: fit close, I hike down to freezing with merino and wind jacket.

I "like" the MontBell Thermawrap Pro insulated jacket for the campsite. It compresses to 5.7 x 10.5 so if I had a down "belay jacket" that would be my choice, for compressibility and for inactivity. I would also sleep in it, as I have, with a Brooks Range "elephant foot" half bag. It takes a lot for me to feel "cold". My changes in clothing "strategy" occur at 5 F and again at -20 F because I "habituate" myself to the ambient temperature, by not dressing over-warm, or, by opening up the clothing I have on. By that means, I am "good" in MontBell ThermaWrap Pro insulated jacket to 5 F for inactivity.

It sounds like you are like that, only I do not know AT weather conditions: dry wind, dry cold, wet cold make the difference, for me.

You have to remember it's a damp cold, plus your tired and don't have enough food. There's a good chance you'll spend some days hiking in an all day, 40 degree drizzle. Then have it drop to 20 when a cold front pushes through. Hopefully, this won't happen more then a couple of times, but you need to be ready for it. Also, a trap doesn't trap your body heat as well as a tent does and it's a lot draftier when the wind blows. So your not going to get any extra warmth there.

Never hike in a down jacket, even for a little bit. You'll overheat and get it wet in no time. You need to have a change of upper garments, one to hike in and one to camp in. So, I think you need another set of base and mid layers for the torso. About the middle or end of May you can start to thin out the wardrobe, but don't jump the gun or you'll be sorry...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You have to remember it's a damp cold, plus your tired and don't have enough food. There's a good chance you'll spend some days hiking in an all day, 40 degree drizzle. Then have it drop to 20 when a cold front pushes through.
    That is hypothermia weather, right there.

Most people think of snow conditions with wind chill for hypothermia. But most people get hypothermia in 40 degree drizzle weather, and, they drop when the temperature drops, usually trhe first night out unprepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I do not have experience of the AT.

I wear my clothing like you: fit close, I hike down to freezing with merino and wind jacket.

I "like" the MontBell Thermawrap Pro insulated jacket for the campsite. It compresses to 5.7 x 10.5 so if I had a down "belay jacket" that would be my choice, for compressibility and for inactivity. I would also sleep in it, as I have, with a Brooks Range "elephant foot" half bag. It takes a lot for me to feel "cold". My changes in clothing "strategy" occur at 5 F and again at -20 F because I "habituate" myself to the ambient temperature, by not dressing over-warm, or, by opening up the clothing I have on. By that means, I am "good" in MontBell ThermaWrap Pro insulated jacket to 5 F for inactivity.

It sounds like you are like that, only I do not know AT weather conditions: dry wind, dry cold, wet cold make the difference, for me.
    like you, I have amazing temperature tolerance for some reason. I grew up in South Florida playing ice hockey...so yea.

the down jacket i carry is the golite selkirk, which is a pretty darn warm jacket for it's weight. Have used it down to 17F around town in windy conditions with only a t shirt underneath and was comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You have to remember it's a damp cold, plus your tired and don't have enough food. There's a good chance you'll spend some days hiking in an all day, 40 degree drizzle. Then have it drop to 20 when a cold front pushes through. Hopefully, this won't happen more then a couple of times, but you need to be ready for it. Also, a trap doesn't trap your body heat as well as a tent does and it's a lot draftier when the wind blows. So your not going to get any extra warmth there.

Never hike in a down jacket, even for a little bit. You'll overheat and get it wet in no time. You need to have a change of upper garments, one to hike in and one to camp in. So, I think you need another set of base and mid layers for the torso. About the middle or end of May you can start to thin out the wardrobe, but don't jump the gun or you'll be sorry...
    Thanks for the advice. As much as I hate adding additional weight, I will probably look into bringing a hooded wool midlayer like the indie for days when everything else ends up wet.

I didn't put in the original post but I was actually planning on bringing an additional camp/town shirt as well. Probably a light weight synthetic. With the clothes set up above my base weight is still just under 8lbs so i can probably afford a few just in cases early in the hike.

forgot to add that a UL bivy is a part of my sleep system, so drafts are not usually an issue.

++ New Posts ++