WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default orthopedic unloader

I gost got another series of SYNVIC joint fluid injections for my knees. So far the last two times I've gotten about1.5 years and it works for me. The orthopedic surgeon said if they don't work this time, I could try an orthopedic unloader before I gp for a new knee. Have any of you guys had any + or - experiences with thes devices. I understand that every is different. Thanks, mark s.

I use the Ossur knee braces, which are unloaders (meaning that they slightly extend when straightened out, to relieve bone-on-bone pain). They were fit by a brace maker and covered by insurance (I guess it was cheaper for them than double knee replacements). They take some getting used to, but they work very well on my patella-femoral osteoarthritis. My orthopedic surgeon is trying to help me keep hiking and avoiding total knee replacements, hoping that the biologic treatments will become the standard of care in time to help me. PM me and I can be more specific.

Thanks Sugarfoot. Hopefully the SYNVIC will kick in in about a month and Ill be good to go for another few years.

I'm glad that SYNVIC works for you. It is unproven for patella-femoral OA, so not covered by my insurance.

If you do try the brace route, let me know. The bracemaker who fit me was used to dealing with football players but didn't know hiking. In hiking, we frequently hyper-flex the knee, like the leading leg when stepping up on a fallen tree or the trailing leg when stepping down rock ledges. There was a pad on the strap just below the knee. When I hyper-flexed, the pad was bent by my upper leg, exposing a very stiff piece of double-sided Velcro that actually sliced the backs of the knees, ending a hike. We've modified the straps and I'm hopeful of a good hike this coming Spring. There can also be problems with slippage, and in general, they are hot and get sweaty. CoolMax understockings can help. Using the braces, my morning walks are pain free. Compared to either giving up hiking or enduring double total knee replacements, they are a joy.

++ New Posts ++