WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    ...If someone is carrying 15 - 20% of their body weight, they still know they have a pack on. Carrying less than 6% of my body weight, I don't even notice I have a pack on. I often do have check to make sure I have a pack on.
    I knew I reached a good point in my pack weight when I was able to take my rain jacket off and stuff it into my pack--while hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I knew I reached a good point in my pack weight when I was able to take my rain jacket off and stuff it into my pack--while hiking.
    If I did not experience this myself personally, I would find it hard to believe: while AThiking in warmer months I will camel up at water sources and carry 1/2 ltr or less. The point is when finishing a 1/2 ltr and carrying an empty water bottle, I can FEEL the lighter weight in my pack...The human body is wondrous.

Images

Yep, good measure of comfort. My epiphany in lightweight backpacking came when, on reaching a good campsite and scoping out the perfect tentsite, suddenly I panicked because I didn't see my backpack anywhere and I realized I still had it on my back. And when we take short water/food breaks we don't even feel the need to take off our backpacks. There is NOTHING more pleasurable than doing an open-ended long distance backpack, everything you need to live comfortably right on your back and honestly not even noticing the weight on your back. True "Freedom of the Hills".

I can do that too, so I'm a little confuse about your point???

Wolf

His pack is light enough to carry in one hand.

I believe pack weight should be what you are comfortable with carrying.I have had my pack weight as low as 8lbs but found, I like more durable equipment.so I am comfortable carrying 14lbs.

If you have to lean forward, or, if you are out of balance, or, if you cannot look up or look around or see up ahead, your pack is too heavy, for hiking.

In mountains, by that criteria, for me too heavy is 35 lbs.

Hey man, there's no reason your pack should weigh more than mine did. The AT is a damn long walk, and the lighter your pack, the easier it will be. This isn't the Marine Corps where 60lb packs are essential to move gear and resources: thru hiking is about efficiency of travel.

A pack shouldn't be more than 35lbs loaded with food and water.

There are endless debates with percentages and ratios but once you hit the trail it's pretty much useless. You either will have a heavy pack that sucks to hike with or a light pack that won't bother you.

Godspeed,

LongGone
    GA >ME 115 days
    "Never never never quit" - Winston Churchill.

Images

To me, 30lbs all in is a good, reachable goal. Takes $$$ for lighter gear. Where I have saved weight? Less clothing, don't carry so much water - come into each water resupply dry, less than 2 lbs per day for food, LIGHT tent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++