WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Question about Hostels

I am planning on a Thru hike in March 2015.
    Well for this weekend we are doing a three day hike along The Appalachian Trail and will be staying in a hostel for two nights.
    Being new to hostels I have a question, I don't want to offend anyone and would like to know is it customary to tip the hostel and or staff?

Thanks for any advice.

Ray C.

I don't know which one you are staying at but many run on "donations". Give what you can and if you can afford it, be generous. This would suffice in lieu of a tip.I am pretty sure they appreciate it although most certainly don't do it for money. I think they enjoy the stink that only hikers can produce.

Section Hiker

I'm a section hiker and have stayed in a couple hostels. I hadn't thought about tipping, didn't tip, and didn't feel like it was expected or anything. I am curious to see what people say, though. I guess in general, if you are extremely satisfied with your stay you can always tip. I do remember the one hostel had a big jar for donations, I did put some money in there--so that was kind of like a tip.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I don't think it is necessary in commercial hostels. I would donate (tip) at least $20/night for donation based hostels or trail Angels, and probably more if any shuttles or meals were included.

So Coffee.. you are going to give 20 bucks for what is an effectively free or almost free service. Wow.. if I am ever low on cash I am coming to see you. A donation means drop a few bucks in the can. It doesn't mean you pay double or triple the advertised price.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    So Coffee.. you are going to give 20 bucks for what is an effectively free or almost free service. Wow.. if I am ever low on cash I am coming to see you. A donation means drop a few bucks in the can. It doesn't mean you pay double or triple the advertised price.
    HYOH, Tip Your Own Tip

Images

I did not realize that there was a limit to or that you could even determine how much I could choose to give to a donation based hostel.

But I am of the same opinion as Coffee and I tend to leave donations that are often nearly equal to the local market price for the same service, but I do not specifically leave a tip.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 11-26-2014 at 14:28.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    HYOH, Tip Your Own Tip
    +1 to Coffee. Give what you think it's worth.

Images

HYOH, Tip Your Own Tip
    Amen and better said!
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

some hostels run on the donation and others have a set price, depends on which hostel you stay at such as Kincora, Church of the Mountains run on donations others such as Uncle Johnnies, and sunny bank inn have a set price, if you stay at a hostel that runs on donation, give depending on your experinces their such as if the hostel is clean, and the owner has a good personality give more if you have a bad experience give less and also don't be shy let the Owner/caretaker know about your experience their that way they will know what to do to give future visitors a better experience.

it would be nice if we knew which hostel you planned to stay at that way we could give you feed back based upon our own experinces with said Hostel.

I personnaly have stayed at just about every hostel along the AT.

Images

Most hostels spell out what they expect for services in AWOL's AT Guide and The Companion. Tipping is NOT expected. Of course, if the service provided is way beyond your expectations, tipping may be a way to say THANKS.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    +1 to Coffee. Give what you think it's worth.
    I'm sure if you did a search, Coffee started a thread about what was expected of him in regards to this issue. He then becomes an expert on the issue.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Thanks for the help guys.

Journal Entries

Tipping is not expected by the owner, but most likely greatly appreciated and needed by any staff who may only receive free room and board and perhaps a small (non-wage) stipend. Donations however are the bread and butter in other ones and allow them to offer quality stays.

I'm no expert lonehiker. But I am entitled to my opinion.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

So, Dave, how do you come up with "free" or "almost free" service? SOMEONE has to pay for the things in hostel. It's not like the hostel owners/managers are trying to make a profit.

I ALSO donate MORE than is expected. If nothing else, it helps make up the shortages that are left behind by those people who donate minimally or not at all, especially those who think the service is free.

When in doubt, ask. They make smile and say no. They may smile and say, please and thank you. They may smile and say Bless your heart as you walk past the donation jar.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Which hostel did you stay at that operates on an effectively free or almost free basis?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    Which hostel did you stay at that operates on an effectively free or almost free basis?
    Jailhouse Hostel, Palmington <sp>, PA (so they do exist)

I don't like accepting free goods and services from people and I can pay or donate so I try to unless I feel like doing so would insult the person. But that's just my opinion. People should do what they think is appropriate given their situation.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

I don't like accepting free goods and services from people and I can pay or donate so I try to unless I feel like doing so would insult the person. But that's just my opinion. People should do what they think is appropriate given their situation.
    Coffee you are blessed to be able to do that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++