WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This has been perplexing for me. When I weigh the MSR Whisperlite with an 11 ounce bottle (full), I get approximately 21 - 23 ounces. When I weigh my Jetboil with a full cannister I get approximately 19 - 21 ounces. Beyond convincing me to order a new scale (nifty electronic scale coming to me as a result!), I can't see much in terms of weight savings between these two. I have not found an appreciable difference with these stoves outside of the Jetboil doesn't like cold weather and wind.

There are some lesser weight cannister fuel stoves at about 15 ounces with the small fuel container, but without the heat exchanging technology like Jetboil uses, fuel consumption will be likely be higher and more fuel is likely needed. Carrying a second cannister of fuel would mitigate any weight advantage if thats the case.

I have heard about problems with resupply and people using alcohol and cannisters, but not sure how much of a problem this is over a long distance walk versus white gas, kerosene, or unleaded gas. Isylvein had a good question, has resupply and availability of fuels ever been looked at along the AT or other long distance trails?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    This has been perplexing for me. When I weigh the MSR Whisperlite with an 11 ounce bottle (full), I get approximately 21 - 23 ounces. When I weigh my Jetboil with a full cannister I get approximately 19 - 21 ounces. Beyond convincing me to order a new scale (nifty electronic scale coming to me as a result!), I can't see much in terms of weight savings between these two. I have not found an appreciable difference with these stoves outside of the Jetboil doesn't like cold weather and wind.
    Maybe there are different models of Wisperlites (older, newer) but mine weighs a few ounces more than that, about 25 ounces, including: stove & pump (12.9 oz), 11oz bottle (3.5 oz empty), 10 fluid ounces of fuel (8.5 oz weight). Plus, white-gas stoves tend to get sooty and you really do need some sort of sack/case to keep other stuff clean, so add another ounce, minimum, plus I always use a wind screen with my wisperlite, 2 more ounces, so grand total of maybe 28 ounces bare minimum, whereas a JetBoil Sol Ti plus canister w/ 8 oz fuel weighs 22 ounces, a 6 ounce weight savings, not huge, but it does add up.

One point: liquid fuel stoves are not more efficient than the best canister stoves, a tad less actually on average. White gas fuel has fewer BTU's per ounce than isopropane mix. PLUS you have to use a bit of fuel every time you light a liquid fuel stove (to prime it), reducing overall fuel efficiency some more.

This all being said, because of the raw power available with a wisperlite (or other white gas stove), this is not a bad choice at all for a group of 4; you can increase the fuel efficiency a bunch by getting a heat-exchanger pot to sit on the stove. I use a 1.5L jetboil pot on my wisperlite when I do carry a wisperlite (winter only), like this:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...Fc1_MgodIzQA0A

I love my wisperlite, it has served me very, vry well in the hundreds of hours I've sat next to it. But really, for 3-season use, nothing beats the simplicity, efficiency and complete ease of use than a Jetboil, at least if all you do is heat water.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lsylvain View Post
    So how many canisters would we need to bring to be "safe" and not run out of fuel before we could find a new canister on the AT?
    I only ever had one, usually small canister. For a family of 4 however perhaps the medium or 2 small would be better in sections IDK

Has anyone compiled a list of canister retailers along the trail?
    AWOL's guide book does for most, if any doubts call ahead
    And since it really seems that canister stoves are the most popular ones out there, why is finding fuel always the big question?
    Mainly fear of not finding one, but the reality is it is easy to get and also lasts so long that you won't need to worry about getting fuel at most stops.

Just seems odd, is it a non issue and just something that is perpetuated by people dedicated to other stove types?
    It is a non-issue when on the trail, you will also find many for free. But people do get concerned if they have not experienced AT life. There is also a hard core alchy stove is the best lightest way to go crowd. They also like to point out that their fuel is available everywhere, and is the most plentiful fuel on the trail, never a problem getting it etc. However they end up the ones who need it at every stop, unlike those who use canisters and can go sometimes 2-3 weeks, perhaps more without even thinking about getting more fuel.

I'm planning on using Coleman 530. It's around 3 lbs but that's with a fantastic stove, a pint of fuel, a cup, and a pot.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Have you tried that Quietstove burner damper or do you know anyone that has and does it really work?
    you know I thought you were kidding - much like a left handed smoke bender...

http://www.amazon.com/QUIETSTOVE%C2%.../dp/B008129SEI

51qm6AVnyJL.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
    I'm planning on using Coleman 530. It's around 3 lbs but that's with a fantastic stove, a pint of fuel, a cup, and a pot.
    For one person? na mate it back breaking I use something similar for back of car camping.

Take a peak at this....

• Extremly lightweight at 45g
    • Power: 2600W
    • Material: Titanium, brass, aluminum, stainless steel
    • Size: Open 85 x 68.5 mm, Folded 37 x 52 mm
    • Designed for hiking, climbing, camping and trekking

http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Backpa...le+fire+burner

Camping Backpacking Hiking Compact Lightweight Titanium Folding Micro Stove

by Fire-maple

myfUgCtysCEsG6euS8-lxBQ.jpgThere are multiple variations for one person this happens to be the smallest at the moment. Go onto Amazon and type Maple Fire stoves.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    you know I thought you were kidding - much like a left handed smoke bender...

http://www.amazon.com/QUIETSTOVE%C2%.../dp/B008129SEI

51qm6AVnyJL.jpg
    Found a couple of videos about this product.
    One without the damper and one with it.
    The information says the camera is the same distance from the stove in both videos.

"Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

BTW, a whisperlight on white gas does not have to be particularly sooty. 95 of the soot forms during shut down of the stove. If you blow the flame out immediately after turning off the fuel valve rather than letting it run until the flame goes out it will cut down on soot significantly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    BTW, a whisperlight on white gas does not have to be particularly sooty. 95 of the soot forms during shut down of the stove. If you blow the flame out immediately after turning off the fuel valve rather than letting it run until the flame goes out it will cut down on soot significantly.
    Great tip, thanks!

BTW: in the 1st 1500 miles of the AT, I had trouble getting a fresh canister only once, somewhere in VA, cannot remember exactly where (very helpful, I know, given 500 trail miles!). One location, a gas station, had canister fuel but no alcohol (heat) for some weird reason; my hiking buddy was an alchy, he used my canister stove for a couple heats.

One little twist: I never could find my favorite canister fuel brand, "Snow Peak Giga Power", along the AT. It's my favorite brand because it packs the most fuel per overall canister weight, not a huge difference though.

Lastly, I still have my trusty Svea in a box somewhere... one of these days I'll drag it out and fire it up for nostalgic reasons...

Priming with hand sanitizer also seems to keep the stove cleaner than with white gas. Below are images of my MSR SimmerLite. I put about a dime size of hand sanitizer in the pan and by the time it has almost burned away, the stove is hot enough to run clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    Priming with hand sanitizer also seems to keep the stove cleaner than with white gas. Below are images of my MSR SimmerLite. I put about a dime size of hand sanitizer in the pan and by the time it has almost burned away, the stove is hot enough to run clean.
    That's a cool idea, I never thought of using hand sanitizer as a priming agent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    That's a cool idea, I never thought of using hand sanitizer as a priming agent.
    That is a great idea.. I have a dropper bottle I prime with, always seems I get a tad too much on the prime using the valve ... Another plus for group camping is for me anyway .. I get a better control of my heat ... They certainly burn hotter .. Almost twice the BTU's ... I think Zen Stoves did a comparison with ISO, Alkys and white gas ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++