WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What’s better than R1 & Micro Puff

I currently have a Patagonia R1 & Mirco Puff. I’m a touring musician and frequently hike wherever I end up. My R1 and Micro puff keep me warm to around 30 degrees. I generally wear Capeline 1, 2 or a Smartwool 150 weight as my base layer.

Trying to keep the size down as I carry on my luggage. Weight (or price) is not a major concern.

Any suggestions for a warmer combo? Looking for something that can keep me warm down to single digits.

Images

Merino top + Micro puff + Marmot Tempo hooded softshell.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Are you wearing a shell with that? If not, adding a breathable shell and a warm balaclava should make a big difference to a properly layered combo of what you already own. A good balaclava is one of the best items for warmth you can carry.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd probably add a mid-layer so you can get a bit more flexibility as temps shift around.

You should also have some sort of wind-cutting layer, which I would go to in lieu of a breathable softshell like the Marmot Tempo (which doesn't appear to have a hood by the way). You could use a lightweight hooded rain jacket like the Marmot SuperMica if you want to be prepared to walk in a downpour, but if you are focused on sub-freezing temps then a lightweight windshell might be the ticket. Montbell makes some highly compressible lightweight products such as the Dynamo Wind Park and Wind Pants, an advantage being that their DWR coating will repel light, limited rain and the pants at least are light enough to stash in a pocket if you don't need them.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

For rain I have a Patagonia Torrent Shell.

A good balaclava would probably help out a lot. I have a wool Buff, but wind whips right through it. Any suggestions for a good balaclava?

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I'll take a look at the Marmot Tempo and Montebell items.

the R1 hoody is the best fleece for hiking

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-r...onic-balaclava

has WindStopper. Otherwise, Search online "windproof balaclava".

Journal Entries
    Images

Well that answers it... beat me too it... balaclava or fleece turtle fur beanie
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

what band do ya tour with?

Images

I've found that wearing any type of rain jacket unless it's extremely cold I tend to find condensation on the inside. This reduces the lifespan of a waterproof/breathable jacket by "sweating up" the garment. The Marmot Tempo I have is the hooded version and blocks wind very well and breathes well too. I also wear, in winter, Marmot Scree pants which are made from the same fabric as the jacket. Yes it's something extra to carry but I don't mind the extra weight for the winter months.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

++ New Posts ++