WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Synthetic Stink?

I'm looking at the Patagonia Nano Puff as a light winter midlayer. However, I worry it'll start to stink if I sweat in it... A four mile hike can leave my fleeces unsuitable for wear around anyone off trail. I love that my thicker down jackets take a while longer to develop an odor. Any opinions on this synthetic material?

Journal Entries
    Images

CLICK here...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I cant edit my posts - and I just realized the Nano puff is nothing more than a synthetic thin sleeping bag. It is not Down, like you other jackets of which I have several. Yes synthetic clothing is resistant to odor but eventually the oil & salt we secrete must be removed from the clothing. Most Fleeses and the Nano puff can just be washed and dried with mild soaps.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=2797

TO get rid of bad hiker funk - after a wash & dry and you still think it has hiker funk? try this...

counter_ozium_large.jpgspray the garment and hang inside a garment bag for a day after you pull it out let hang for another and the odor will be gone. Will remove 420, dead animals, nasty feet etc.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Ozium is the best stuff around! Would carrying the travel size bottle (.08oz) get you funny looks?

Journal Entries
    Images

No funny looks, most people have forgot what it is... I use it at work to remove dead animal smell from upstairs bathrooms. Squirrels do get into the exhaust vent & get trapped. It's a deer in the headlight moment for most homeowners. Its part of a kit - there are other things one has to do to get rid of the smell.

Woo

Images

I've got a Nano Puff too. I'd never wear it while hiking unless I was in arctic conditions. I've found that a merino baselayer and a windshirt or softshell are good while hiking in the winter. Merino still feels warm when damp from perspiration and you can wear it dry at camp if it's not soaking wet from rain. Synthetics, to me, tend to feel cold as soon as you stop moving and are harder to "wear" dry. Merino does not have a stink factor until many days of use.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries

Im wearing my nanopuff right now.
    I wouldnt wear it to hike unless it was in teens or something. Fleece and baselayer breathes and works into mid 20s.
    It also, is not that warm of a garment. Jusy sitting around, maybe 55F. Definitely cold in 40s. I wear it in house with temp in mid 60s. It is more of a daily wear garment than a trail garment for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I've got a Nano Puff too. I'd never wear it while hiking unless I was in arctic conditions.
    Yeah, this. I don't wear a puffy layer for hiking. Of course all my puffies are down, so I really don't want them to get damp from sweat, but when I used synthetic I did the same thing. My puffy is my really warm layer for when I'm stopped - if it's cold enough that I need to wear that layer while hiking, then it's really really cold, and I didn't bring enough clothing
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Still thinkin....pony .,...

++ New Posts ++