WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default *Video* DIY Trail Food: Quinoa for the Trail, from package to freezer bag

Hi there! I had an overwhelmingly positive response on my DIY Trail Food series. I was so surprised by the comments about "I didn't know it was so easy to make my own meals." So I decided to follow up with a series on making your own trail meal "bases" by showing how cooking at home is simple and nutritious.

Quinoa is extremely versatile and I use it in a lot of my meals. Here I take it step-by-step; cooking, dehydration, storage, a couple of recipes. Enjoy! ~ Demeter

Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nicely done Demeter.

That b-fast recipe with all those great grains, blueberries and powdered coconut milk sounds healthy delish suitable for wt conscious backpacking. Have you considered adding crystalized ginger and/or nuts and/or a nut butter to that existing recipe?

Since not everyone always has access to a dehydrator could you describe how the dehydrating process could be accomplished with a oven?

Do you advise placing small FDA approved desiccant packets like found in packages of jerky, vitamin bottles, dehydrated pricey prepacked name brand backpacking meals, etc into DIY dehydrated foods. I've accumulated quite a few of these type of packets that came from dried foods.

Thank you, for having a video like this.

More, please.

I have not done this, but I want to.

I would like to know how much time, at what wattage,and, setting for the dehydrator you have.

I would like to see the finished ingredient, with a closeup, you telling how you know it is dry enough not to mold, not to ruin the rest of it in the jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Nicely done Demeter.

That b-fast recipe with all those great grains, blueberries and powdered coconut milk sounds healthy delish suitable for wt conscious backpacking. Have you considered adding crystalized ginger and/or nuts and/or a nut butter to that existing recipe?

Since not everyone always has access to a dehydrator could you describe how the dehydrating process could be accomplished with a oven?

Do you advise placing small FDA approved desiccant packets like found in packages of jerky, vitamin bottles, dehydrated pricey prepacked name brand backpacking meals, etc into DIY dehydrated foods. I've accumulated quite a few of these type of packets that came from dried foods.
    Thank you, Dogwood. I add chopped nuts to a lot of foods. But I recommend packaging them separately if you will be storing the food for a while, since the fats in the nuts could go rancid and spoil the whole meal. Toasting the nuts will help, too.

I briefly describe the difference between dehydrating and oven-drying in this post. Oven drying is less reliable because you don't have as much flexibility in temp control. Foods can easily burn if not tended.

I use oxygen absorbers frequently in food storage, and currently have a post in the works about a great way to use them for preserving your meals for long-term storage (i.e. if you want to make up a ton of meals and store them for future trips, or want to mail drop-boxes of food). Unfortunately, they go bad very quickly once exposed to air, so must be stored in an oxygen-free environment. I use a vacuum sealer and mason jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Thank you, for having a video like this.

More, please.

I have not done this, but I want to.

I would like to know how much time, at what wattage,and, setting for the dehydrator you have.

I would like to see the finished ingredient, with a closeup, you telling how you know it is dry enough not to mold, not to ruin the rest of it in the jar.
    Connie, I have the Excalibur Economy 2500 9-Tray Dehydrator. Not sure of the wattage, because it has been replaced by the 3500 model, but it looks to be the same dehydrator. 600 watts, 7 inch rear fan, 15 sq. feet of drying space. Probably too much for an intro dehydrator, but this thing is a beast. I can't imaging how many hours of time I have on it over the last 3 years.

The quinoa is dry enough when it is crumbly to the touch. I dry until crisp and crumbly, then a couple extra hours to be safe. Unfortunately it's not an exact science unless I get major $ food processing equipment.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Demeter. I'm with Connie. Keep these ideas coming to stir up some imaginations. It's needed. This simple suggestion, " I recommend packaging them(nuts) separately if you will be storing the food for a while, since the fats in the nuts could go rancid and spoil the whole meal. Toasting the nuts will help, too is a good one. Been there as someone who also makes food up ahead of time pre hike.

++ New Posts ++