WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    Images

Ok, I will make it official. My wife and I are now proud members of the Flip Flop Class of 2015. We were planning a NOBO hike beginning at Springer Mtn. but are changing our plans to a HF start around May 1. We look forward to seeing many of you on the trail!

Geez!! So how many folks are planning on starting May 1 from Harpers Ferry. Just might have to jump back to Springer to avoid the big bubble. Just teasing!

Woah was pretty bummed to hear that I wouldn't be able to leave until May. But now that I have discovered the flip-flop route I couldn't be more happy. I am planning on heading to HF first week of May. The Workshop sounds like a plan!

You all are awesome! I never expected this level of enthusiasm for the Flip this year! I'm so glad I won't be totally lone! I'm very proud of you all! Class of 2015 Rocks!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Ok, Flippers, here's the deal. My wonderful wife had a great idea. We're interested in a vacation rental in Harpers Ferry to share with some of you. I have found a few in HF that are still available, and pretty nice. Hey, most of us are only doing this hike once, so we may as well do it up right and have a great send-off!

Here's an example: The Two Rivers Guest House. Sleeps six (or more). $240 a night (that's $40 a night). Full kitchen (so we can scarf our last homemade meals). Two bathrooms. Good ratings. Within walking distance to the ATC Headquarters and local amenities.

As a final incentive, I make wine. Ok, I make very good wine, some award winners. Needless to say, there will be lots of wine! So, heavy rich foods, many adult beverages, great setting, wonderful people.

I've got a thumbs up from squeezebox. We're making plans. Who's with us? First comers get a spot! If you prefer to respond in private, PM me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Ok, Flippers, here's the deal. My wonderful wife had a great idea. We're interested in a vacation rental in Harpers Ferry to share with some of you. I have found a few in HF that are still available, and pretty nice. Hey, most of us are only doing this hike once, so we may as well do it up right and have a great send-off!

Here's an example: The Two Rivers Guest House. Sleeps six (or more). $240 a night (that's $40 a night). Full kitchen (so we can scarf our last homemade meals). Two bathrooms. Good ratings. Within walking distance to the ATC Headquarters and local amenities.

As a final incentive, I make wine. Ok, I make very good wine, some award winners. Needless to say, there will be lots of wine! So, heavy rich foods, many adult beverages, great setting, wonderful people.

I've got a thumbs up from squeezebox. We're making plans. Who's with us? First comers get a spot! If you prefer to respond in private, PM me.

So which night are you renting it for 5/1 or 5/2?

The way things are coming together for the 2015 Class of Flip-Floppers is so exciting. This year is going to be historic..

1936 - first section-hike completed - Myron Avery
    1948 - first thru-hike (northbound) - Earl Shaffer
    1951 - first southbound thru-hike - Chester Dziengielewski
    1952 - first female thru-hiker and part of first couple to flip-flop - Mildred Norman (who subsequently became "Peace Pilgrim")
    1955 - first solo female thru-hiker - Grandma Gatewood
    1990 - first blind thru-hiker - Bill Irwin
    2015 - first Flip-flop Kick Off - group of forward-thinking hikers choose alternative itinerary to avoid crowds and help conserve the A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    So which night are you renting it for 5/1 or 5/2?
    I'm thinking both. Drive to HF on the 1st, attend Kick-Off on the 2nd, hike out on the morning of the third. Eat, drink, and be merry both nights!

I'm thinking both. Drive to HF on the 1st, attend Kick-Off on the 2nd, hike out on the morning of the third. Eat, drink, and be merry both nights!
    Did you say wine? I will be hiking already but am planning on showing up for the Kick Off no matter where I am, soooo....can I come too? I live nearby so i don't need a place to crash but the wine sounds good and meeting all of you fine people too, of course!! And I can bring some fun stuff to eat and drink to add to the merry!

Images

I'll be hiking into town from the south on the 2nd. So I could only stay there the 2nd, don't know if that works. But hey if it doesn't I'd still like to maybe have a glass of wine with everyone.

Images

I took a quick count and it looks like there are about 17 of us headed NOBO from HF about 5/2 and 3 maybes. This is going to be the start of something great!

Images

Howdy Everybody! This is my first post, because it's a far-fetched fantasy that I'll be able to complete the entire trail before 2016 rolls in, but my plan is to start collecting miles NOW, beginning just south of the middle near my home. Who knows, maybe I can collect them all before year end Prior to the HF kickoff May 2, I'll be re-hiking (so it counts for 2015 as much as possible of the familiar ground on the trail both south and north from Rockfish Gap, and from the other places to access the AT when the Parkway and Drive are closed to vehicles. Looking forward to meeting many of you as the journey unfolds. Gotta connect with the Tribe!

Interesting how our flip start will be about the same number of people as most Mar. or April days from Springer.

That is funny, squeezebox! At least there won't be 20 the day before and the day after...etc.

Treehugger and jimmyjam, you are both welcome to come by and/or stay a night. My wife and I are still hammering out the details. When we get details settled, I'll PM info to you here on WB.

Looks like there might be around 20 of us hiking out around May 3. I'll be in that group.

I'm really excited. This Flipper enthusiasm was unexpected. Because of my school schedule I couldn't start earlier at Springer. I figured I'd be alone on my hike until the pack eventually over took me say by June.

But looks like our noble little ban of Flippers will provide some hiker companionship.

And like mentioned, our Flip can be a trend setter.

Am I the only one slightly concerned about missing the southern hospitality during the first leg? I'm concerned that we will miss out on the trail magic a little. Plus from what I read the mid-atlatnic tends to be the least favorite of of thru-hikers. I think a Flip-Flop is most definitely away to go, just been thinking about what I may miss the past day or two. Some reassurance would be great! haha

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyBiscuit View Post
    Am I the only one slightly concerned about missing the southern hospitality during the first leg? I'm concerned that we will miss out on the trail magic a little. Plus from what I read the mid-atlatnic tends to be the least favorite of of thru-hikers. I think a Flip-Flop is most definitely away to go, just been thinking about what I may miss the past day or two. Some reassurance would be great! haha
    I'm not doing a thru hike because of hospitality and I'm not worried that on my flip-flop that I might "miss" something in the south by not starting with the masses. Trail magic happens when trail magic happens and that happens the entire length of the trail. Sure, you won't get hiker feeds going through mid-Atlantic in April or May. But so what ?? If that's important to you well then ...
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I started a flip from from Harper's Ferry last year on June 1st. There was plenty of trail magic and a few hiker feeds in PA and NJ/NY. The magic seemed to stopp once I got into Connecticut.

Sounds good Fairway! My reasons for hiking are my own and are irrelevant to anyone and it seems odd to for someone, particularly a fellow hiker, to question them. I suppose I am just anxious about the Flip Flop since I have planned for years to leave from Springer. I think that feeling is perfectly natural. Regardless I'm beyond excited to embark on a Flip Flop.

My wife & I are hoping to be on the trail (SNP @ Hwy33) no later than the 15th of April...so we will probably be north of HF on the 1st of May. That said, we may hitch back for the festivities :-)

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++