WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Default Starting in early April from Harpers Ferry

Quote Originally Posted by Charliehorse View Post
    laurie,
    Add one more to the mix; i made the decision recently to do the flip-flop out of HF. Your argument is solid. I'm planning on a April start and have some concerns about weather, but if it's nasty then i can push it back as needed, or move the start point south; maybe Rock Fish Gap...just depends on the wx. Do you have any data on early April starts from HF to Me? Thanks for all your work!
    Charliehorse
    Hey Charliehorse,

I have just anecdotal information from a few thru-hikers and my own experience to draw from. Those who start in early or mid-April have said it was basically really cold for a long, long time. Plus, you'll be hiking amid bare trees and bare forest, and very few other long-distance hikers that far north at that time. It might not be below freezing too often, but hiking in 40- or 50-degree rain isn't very pleasant either. Weekenders and day-hikers are out, and even "spring breakers" so it's not like you wouldn't be seeing other people, it's just you might not have anyone to share the journey with.

You also don't want to reach Vermont before the end of May, due to mud season, which ends about then. Hiking during mud season is unpleasant for the hiker and very hard on the trails: www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60. Avoiding Vermont mud season does not mean you won't be hiking in mud in Vermont later or hiking in mud in New Hampshire and especially Maine, but you'll be reducing damage to the trail in a particularly vulnerable area and should avoid the worst of the mud.

If you start further south in early or mid-April, it will be even colder than starting in Harpers Ferry, since the elevations are significantly higher (mostly 2000-4000 feet, as opposed to mostly 1500 and under all the way north from Harpers Ferry to Connecticut). But, all things considered, if you want to start in early April, it's probably better to move your starting point south. I know of 2 or 3 people starting around Roanoke/Daleville the first week of April, and a handful of others starting at points in Shenandoah a little later, and a few assorted other place in between. Some are starting at points even further south, but the numbers of nobos don't really thin a great deal for a while.

Starting in Front Royal, VA (54 miles south of Harpers Ferry) makes sense weather-wise, but northern Virginia is a lot more challenging than Maryland, so Harpers Ferry just makes a good starting point for a lot of reasons.

Charliehorse, my wife & I are hoping to start at about the same time as you (maybe a few days earlier) from just to the north @ Swift Run Gap (just east of Harrisonburg, where I have family). We'll be going pretty slow for the first weeks, so we'll probably see you before we all get to HF. :-)

Registered User BrandtCantWatch's Avatar

I will be leaving nobo from harpers ferry april 27th if anyone wants to join. I am starting slow and trying to stay out of town.
    "Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man"

Dude! You'll miss the first ever Flip Flop Kick Off on May 2nd!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

I hate the dancing banana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default ATC Blog post about Thru-Hike registration (and flip-flopping)

Have you all seen our latest blog post at atconservancy.wordpress.com:

A new (voluntary) step for thru-hikers
    by Anne Baker, ATC marketing assistant

Thru-hiker fever has officially set in. And with the general preparations like gear shakedowns, meal planning, mail drop logistics and (in some cases) quitting your job to hike thousands of miles, there’s another way the class of 2015 is getting ready for a thru-hike: voluntary registration.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) launched its Thru-Hiker Voluntary Registration system this year with the goal of not only better managing the Appalachian Trail (A.T.), but also enhancing the thru-hiker experience. With movies like “Wild” and “A Walk in the Woods” drawing attention to two of America’s national scenic trails, something had to be done to spread out the volume of thru-hikers who hit the A.T. at peak times. This voluntary registration system is one way the ATC hopes to address potential overcrowding, especially at the southern end of the A.T. in March and April

Currently, more than 800 people have registered their thru-hikes through this system, allowing hikers to see how many have plan to start their thru-hike on a particular day and giving them a chance to see when crowded conditions will exist. Prospective thru-hikers can see on what days thru-hikers have registered not only for northbound and southbound thru-hikes, but also for thru-hikes starting in Harpers Ferry or other locations.

This planning feature is especially appealing to hikers like Barbara “Firefly,” who will set out on a thru-hike this year with her 26-year-old son:

“When we started planning, we intentionally looked into the traditionally crowded start days and tried to avoid those as well as avoiding a weekend start. I really think for many people, being able to look and visually see days that are already packed will help future thru-hikers spread themselves out.”

Hiking the A.T. is practically a lifelong dream for Firefly, who began planning her hike when she was 12. Back then, she was using the library and snail mail to gather information while also getting firsthand experience by working on trail crews. Yet it wasn’t until now that she felt like she could to take the amount of time off that’s required for a thru-hike, and when she began planning again, she realized that the A.T.—and the process of planning—had changed.

“I was a bit sad at a lot of the negatives I’ve heard concerning problems resulting from overcrowding, especially at the both ends of the Trail. As a lifelong dream I couldn’t let go of the idea of a traditional thru-hike, even though the cool breeze option looks awesome. The reality is we are approaching our hike with a degree of flexibility, evaluating our progress along the way and if needed changing to an alternative itinerary.”

Firefly’s willingness to embrace an alternative plan if necessary is a sentiment that is growing among potential thru-hikers. It’s good timing, too—as the popularity of long-distance hiking trails increases, the A.T. will benefit from those who recognize that a thru-hike doesn’t have to start at Springer Mountain, or even Katahdin. After all, the journey isn’t so much about the destination, but the process of getting there.

To everyone who has registered their thru-hike, and especially those who made an effort to avoid popular start dates or even selected an alternative starting location, thanks for making the A.T. an incredible hiking and camping experience—and for helping it stay that way.

Have a comment about our voluntary registration system? Email [email protected]
    Last edited by Lauriep; 02-26-2015 at 20:05.

Images

Only 64 days. Not that I am counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Waynesboro would be a logical place to start a bit south of HF. Pretty easy to access and you would start with the relatively easy SNP, although I don't know how many of the seasonal facilities there would be open on the first week of May.
    The SNP facilities open for the Season March 28, 2015; until then only the Byrd Visitor Center and Big Meadows is open Friday, Sat, and Sun, and Monday Federal Holidays. As a result, SNP has had a big revenue and visitor increase this past winter so far. We live about 45 min away from SNP.

Default Shenandoah facilities schedule

GrayGhost, thanks for the Shenandoah info. Great to learn the weekend winter opening has been successful.

For those who haven't seen the link, the complete schedule for all facilities in Shenandoah National Park can be found at http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...g-schedule.htm. A lot of facilities will be open full-time by the end of March, but some don't open until April, and a few not until May.

Thanks again, Laurie! More great info!

I'll be in Harpers Ferry nine weeks from today, along with most of the rest of you. Jimmyjam's double banana dance makes me jealous. He's gonna be almost a whole month ahead of us when he gets there! Bugger!

I've got a month's worth of prep here at the house to get everything ready for my long term absence. To Do: Carpets cleaned, vehicle maintenance, wine made, lawn care arranged, hiking clothes treated, mail drops organized, bills scheduled, etc, etc, etc. I plan to make my absence as easy on my wife as possible. This is an adventure for her, too! I've been very busy---trying to throw in some fun along the way---and still have a lot to do. While my natural tendency is to procrastinate, I can't do that this time. I must be ready when the time comes.

No pressure...

Images

A lot of prep to do here also. I did the voluntary registration with the ATC for May 3. It really depends on everything coming together for that date, and everything looks good so far. I have to keep telling myself this is just a long walk in the woods, not a space launch to Mars!

Good luck to all, hope to meet you.
    Simple is good.

36 days to go for me! I have to admit I am freaking out a bit. It seemed like I had so much time to get ready and now it feels like I don't have enough! I have most things covered but I feel like I am less ready than I was back in December. More apprehensive and less sure of myself too. I think this is because I am a Mom, always doing stuff for the family and stuff and not as much for just me. Feels foreign. I also think some of that stems from being somewhat snowed/iced in and injured lately. I always feel better once I get out in the woods. I really want to put my backpack on and get out of here but haven't been able to for a while now. I want to do a last shake down hike in a couple weeks, maybe to the Foothills Trail (less cold, snow, ice) but I have hurt my hip so now I am not sure I will be able to do anything more than go to PT, go to the gym and walk around Northern VA for a few more weeks. I will see how I feel next week. In the mean time I go thru my pack again and again trying to decide if i've made the right choices in gear. I am just now going over food choices and getting at least one food box ready for perhaps Clinton, PA or maybe Del Water Gap or even Bear Mtn, NY. I've heard these are a few locations that aren't great for resupply in the beginning. Not sure. I am getting cars fixed, taxes done, pets to the vet, dentist and drs visits done, and some projects finished around the house. I got my CPR updated and am doing Wilderness 1st Aid this month. Basically trying to dot the I's and cross the T's before i go so I feel more ready to leave and my husband doesn't have as much to worry about. whew! I am looking forward to meeting you all in HF at the FFKO. I will be walking already but hope to be near HF by the first of May. I like this quote, kinda sums up how I feel lately.
    “It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.”
    John Green, Paper Towns

While I'm new to this type of adventure, I imagine the sense of impending doom is "normal". It sounds to me, Treehugger, like your preparations are moving along. IMO, what you must not do is hurry your recovery. You've got to give your body time to heal before you hurt it some more.

I stood outside this morning, breathing the cold (7F) air, wishing Spring were here, longing to give up this wait. I get my hands on my future home (my pack) at least once per day. I have all my gear spaced out on my pool table. I run my eyes over it every time I walk by. I pick up items, modify bindings, snug down compression sacks, peruse my guidebook, shuffle through my dried goods. I feel you. It all seems like busy work. I'm ready to go. For good or bad. Ready or not. My feet crave the trail.

Relax. Heal. It will come. Hurry not into tomorrow.

Images

Treehugger, if an experienced backpacker like you is feeling pre-launch pressure, I ought to be having a full-blown anxiety attack out of ignorance of what lies ahead. Maybe my total lack of long-haul backpacking knowledge is psychologically a good thing (until I start actually doing it!). More likely it's knowing that I have to return home from time to time so will have the luxury of correcting any gear mistakes I've made, and handling the business of daily life, since I have no one at home to do it in my absence. A frustrating inconvenience, but also reassuring in some ways.

Sometimes knowing too much causes too much worrying. I agree with dangerdave's soothing advice: Don't rush the recovery. The Trail is not going anywhere and we are not racing to the finish. That said, I find myself wanting desperately to finish climbing the mountain of domestic and financial chores inside so that I can suit up to explore the snow-dappled mountains outside NOW.

Thanks for sharing your pre-flight "freak out." It's helpful to hear how fellow FlipFloppers are feeling as departure dates take on an exciting/intimidating reality. We might be often alone once out on the trail, but we are deeply connected always by the call of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    While I'm new to this type of adventure, I imagine the sense of impending doom is "normal". It sounds to me, Treehugger, like your preparations are moving along. IMO, what you must not do is hurry your recovery. You've got to give your body time to heal before you hurt it some more.

I stood outside this morning, breathing the cold (7F) air, wishing Spring were here, longing to give up this wait. I get my hands on my future home (my pack) at least once per day. I have all my gear spaced out on my pool table. I run my eyes over it every time I walk by. I pick up items, modify bindings, snug down compression sacks, peruse my guidebook, shuffle through my dried goods. I feel you. It all seems like busy work. I'm ready to go. For good or bad. Ready or not. My feet crave the trail.

Relax. Heal. It will come. Hurry not into tomorrow.
    Dude, relax. Sounds like you're all ready to attack the trail. Don't. It will beat you. Just relax and let the trail take you.

Remember the immortal words of Bob Marley: "Some people FEEL the rain. Others just get wet."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    Dude, relax. Sounds like you're all ready to attack the trail. Don't. It will beat you. Just relax and let the trail take you.

Remember the immortal words of Bob Marley: "Some people FEEL the rain. Others just get wet."
    Good advice for many things in life. As I was reading your comment I was listening to the song "Slip Slidin' Away", the part "... a good day ain't got no rain... a bad day is when I lie in bed and think of the things that might have been" struck me as an interesting coincidence. Just let things happen and go with it.
    Simple is good.

Thanks for the advice, Carbo and brancher. As an avid whitewater kayaker, I think the mentality should be the same. You don't jump on the Gauley River with the idea that you will conquer the river. It will eat your lunch. A kayaker joins the river, using it's flow and it's power, not fighting it. Being "one with the river" may sound passe, but there is no better way to say it. The Trail is much the same, in that way, and yet completely different in it's own right.

Believe me, I have a firm understanding of what I am in for. I have spent some days hiking by myself, in the rain and cold. Don't mistake enthusiasm for fool-heartiness.

Just cued up Tom Petty, "The Waiting (is the Hardest Part)". Seems appropriate.

I am in anything but attack mode I assure you. I have nothing but love and longing for the adventure that awaits me. It's just the standard butterflies one gets before stepping off into the unknown. Me being the biggest unknown in this scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing a section hike with my brother-in-law from Waynesboro to HF starting in mid-April, will look for the Flip-Flop class of 2015 in HF area, and wishing all of you best of luck. (be glad you won't be in the middle of the NoBo "mob" leaving Springer in March-April) Looks like there will be a nice group of FF hikers this year. Spring will be upon us in no time, and before long we will be wishing we still had cooler hiking weather!

62 Days. I'm looking around the room I rent, that has to be packed up, and how out of shape I am, and at the snow outside, and I can't picture me on the trail with my stuff in storage in 62 days.

My brother thinks I'm crazy (my whole family really), thinks I should wait a year to get in better shape. Not buying it. The trail gets you in shape (or it bets you). I've met runners who had to leave the trail after a few days on, while chubby gut me was still going.

The countdown starts!!!!

Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++