WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

The A.T. is managed as a national scenic trail. Overnight sites are designed for hikers, not the homeless. Homeless people who take up residence in shelters along the A.T. often have mental health issues.

Limits of stay for most overnight sites on the A.T. are two or three nights at most.

If you encounter a person who appears to a squatter at a shelter on the A.T., please fill out an A.T. incident report form, which is available at www.appalachiantrail.org/incidents. This will reach various ATC employees and the National Park Service A.T. Chief Ranger, who can then coordinate with local law enforcement or other agencies as appropriate. If you don't have access to a computer to which you can download the form and fill out, please send an email with a detailed description of the person, situation, and location to [email protected].

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

Sorry to hear aboutu and Ed Carbo! I know you will be back. You were both doing so well. Take care and we will see u later up ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Willow2015 View Post
    Namaste7, I was going to go southbound starting June 13 but developed a bursa in my foot. I haven't been able to train like I wanted before climbing Kahtadin so I may do a flip flop starting in Harpers Ferry. If I do that I will probably start around the 13th of June.
    Willow2015, let me know. I can wait until the 13th if you want to start together.

Carbo, what part of New Jersey are you in? I'm looking for some shuttle service either tomorrow, Friday or on Sunday. Mellon is coming up tonight with her car. We are at the Mohican outdoor center tonight and going to hike to High Point State park on Saturday night. Sunday or tomorrow we need to get her car up there or shuttled back Sunday morning to pick it up. JimmyJam and I are talking our first zero that day.
    Any help from any one would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you. R/ SlingShot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Sling Shot, I'm about 90 mi from the DWG. Not sure what day I will be heading back to the trail. Depends on how quickly I can get rid of this bug.
    Simple is good.

Images

Tree Hugger, looking forward to catching up to you guys... again :-)
    Simple is good.

Carbo,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling up to snuff! Could it be Lyme or some other tick-borne illness? Many hikers who are infected never see the tick that bit them. They are really, really tiny, especially the nymphs this time of year. Lyme is the big tick-borne disease, but ATC has received reports of hikers who have contracted anaplasmosis, erlichiosis, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Early treatment if you have one of these is critical.

Take care and enjoy the holiday weekend with your family! Best to Ed, and all the rest of you guys.

We've been having lots of flip-floppers continuing to start in Harpers Ferry. Seems like one or two a day, we are now up to about 120 plus.

- Laurie

Carbo, thanks I got in contact with Bob Boyle.

Images

Laurie P,

Thanks for the info, talking to my Doc this afternoon.

Related to the flip-floppers and how it spreads out the number of hikers coming through sections: I spoke to Pat (part owner of the Doyle) and the waitress across the street from the Doyle at Goodies restaurant. They love the idea since it extends their "busy season". Just our small bubble of flippers caused the Doyle to run out of available rooms on the day I came through Duncannon. Can't imagine what happens when the main group of thru's hit the area.
    Simple is good.

I'm still with Spice Girl and Bourbon Bill and crew. Nutz (a good section hiker who's been with us for some time) will leave us tomorrow. We're going to rest with a Nero in Delaware Water Gap (PA/NJ line). We've got some ankle issues after the rocks of PA. Need some heal time. This group is hanging together because we all hike about the same speed.

AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

namaste7, I have decided to go ahead and do the flip flop instead of southbound. If you want to wait until the 13th to start, it will be great to have someone to start with.

Heading into NJ in the morning...

AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Squeezebox here!
    Here's what happened. I was so tired I spent a zero at Dahlgren campsite. Wed I took off to Pine Knob, met rocket man there. Thurs was to Ensign Cowall, rocket man there before me and a bunch of folks camping. Fri tried to get to Waynesboro, should have stopped at Raven Rock but did not see the turn off. Started down the hill to Pen Mar I thought it was not marked very well. I took a turn past a tree instead of in front of it. I stepped on a rock that pivited and I fell about 3 ft square on my shoulder with a too full park, real broken collar bone stuff. My shoulder hurt enough that I couldn't carry my pack, so I found a fairly flat spot and set up my tent for the night. So Sat am I started to pack up wondering what would happen. 4 day hikers came by and I explained i was injured, they agreed to carry out my pack and help me back up the rock field. 911 wanted to do a full blown rescue. So I got to high rock earlier enough to call the B&B that Rocket man stayed at. I rested a while and she took me to a new Walk in Health center. No break but obvious trauma, I didn't want to here the DR. talk about rotator cuff stuff. Also my heel blisters were pretty painful. Obviously I needed time to heal. So I bailed. I was obviously over weight, skin out & skin in. Not enough prep. So I'm home with the intent of getting into physical shape, Get some hiking experience, get some distance on being sober. And trying again when I'm ready, my guess in the next year or 2. My guess is something like this was inevitable seeing my background.
    So now my heels are pretty good, ready for regular shoes from crocs, my shoulder is much better I strained it pushing the lawn mower too much yesterday, sober, out for an hour or more walking in the park every day. will join the gym next week. eating better so to lose weight. So that's pretty much the full story.

Good to hear from u Squeezebox! Good luck to you also!! Take care.

Images

Squeezebox, hang in there. Sounds like you have a good plan for coming back to the trail. One step at a time!
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow2015 View Post
    namaste7, I have decided to go ahead and do the flip flop instead of southbound. If you want to wait until the 13th to start, it will be great to have someone to start with.
    Willow2015 my time table has been pushed back. I'm going to have to do the SOBO starting 16-17 July. We should cross paths at some point. Hope to see you out there.

Squeezebox,

Thanks so much for the update, though I'm really sorry to hear things happened as they did. Sounds like you are in the right place and right frame of mind. Take care, and keep up posted!

Images

Hey Squeeze box sorry to hear of your injury. The trail will be here when you are ready. Best wishes my friend.

Images

Slingshot and I have made it to High Point Park NJ and are taking a nero.

It is so great to catch up on where & how you all are doing. SqueezeBox, I'm so sorry, but it was good to hear from you and hear how positive you sound! Don't give up...
    Has anyone heard from Scout, Faith, Buck & Fuzz? I hope all are doing great and no major 'boo-boo's!! You are all in my thoughts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++