WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52
Results 1,021 to 1,038 of 1038
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Hey Eveready! Jimmyjam and myself are making long range plans to head south from HF after next Springs FFKO. I'll likely stay out for a couple of weeks (+). I still have about 200 miles of Maine to finish on the north end. If Virginia is kind to my feet, I'll knock Katahdin out next Summer. Since I'll NOT be rehiking the 909 miles I completed, I'm now a burgeoning section hike. Piecemeal rocks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LASHers Rule!!!

"Those Flippin' Milanders" Update - In Cherokee for supplies and a bed (if you come here wanting a beer, DON'T get a room within the reservation :-p). Final push starts tomorrow...about 200 miles and aiming for Springer on the 28th.

Shelters on north side of Smokies do not have tenting...maybe to south as well, which stinks because this park is full of sections & weekender in the fall. Can't imagine what it's like during the spring bubbles (shudder at the thought). Town's accommodations from Hot Springs through Smokies are booked way in advance during leaf changing season on weekends. Try to avoid...wish we had thought of that earlier. :-p

Hit much hurricane rain in northern Tennessee...but moly light drizzle. Roan Highlands were outstanding, even when wet. Encountered a family with their freshly shot bear just north of the Smokies. Weren't the first hunters we've seen utilizing the trail...is it legal?

I'll post our Springer pic in a few weeks (barring catastrophic injury)...

You guys are awesome! We're all rooting for you. Hang in there, it's about to get CHILLY!

AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Way to go Kushtakaa!! I was telling someone about you guys still going and couldn't remember your name. I think I told him The Filandering Mirauders or Mirauding Filanderers! Haha!! So happy your still representing!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Default It's hunting season - Time to Wear Blaze Orange!

Yes, Kushtakaa, hunting is legal along the majority of the A.T. In fact, the A.T. passes through some game lands that are specifically for hunting (a significant portion of Pennsylvania).

Wear blaze (fluorescent) orange that is visible from 360 degrees. Be especially careful to be visible at dawn and dusk.

More in depth information about hunting safety is on ATC's website at www.appalachiantrail.org/hunting.

We'll be posting an updated hunting season chart soon.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Journal Entries

Hey danger dave, look me up on your nexts year hike, I'd be honored to hike with you..... I've done 800 miles, so maybe us older farts could do some miles>>> EVEREADY
    eveready

Hello All,

I apologise for coming rather late to the flip-floppers' party; I hope late is better than never.

My flip-flop, like a number of others, it seems, began at Springer as a northbound through-hike on February 24 this year, only to be de-railed after a week by snow, snow-downs and blow-downs after I'd completed just three sections (Approach Trail, Woody Gap to Gooch Mt Shelter and GMS to Hawk Mt Shelter). At this point discretion seemed the better part of valour and I re-started at Rockfish Gap on March 26. I reached Katahdin/Baxter Peak on August 6, returned to Rockfish Gap on August 10 and finished at Springer on October 17.

I'm not sure I can add anything to what I've read of this thread, which contains excellent advice and information, but I'll happily to answer specific questions anyone has. For example, I kept a log of mileages and hiking times from Cooper Falls Lean-to north and for the whole southbound leg. (Prior to that, I logged mileages but recorded time for the whole day's hike, not distinguishing between time spent walking and time spent chatting, snacking or gazing at the scenery.)

Good luck to 2016's crop of hikers, flip-floppers and otherwise.

Noctambulant (trail name: Better Than Expected)

Better Than Expected,

I'm so glad you completed the trail and I really enjoyed hiking with you. You are an inspiration to me that there are more years for me to be able to get back on the trail and to not let go of the goal. Good luck you to my friend.

R/ SlingShot

Hi Slingshot,

Thank you for your kind words . . . not least for leaving out the word 'many' before "more years . . . "!

I very much enjoyed your company on the trail, too, and remember the sections we hiked together with pleasure. You know where we live, so be sure to drop to drop in anytime you're in these parts and perhaps we can spend a little more time on a trail together.

B.T.E.

If you completed your flip-flop thru-hike this year (or any other type of thru or section-hike) and haven't yet sent in your 2,000-miler application to ATC, please download the form at www.appalachiantrail.org/ATcompletion.

If you get it in right away, we should still be able to get you in the listing in the spring issue of A.T. Journeys. The winter issue of the magazine (which may still be en route to members who haven't received it) says the cut-off is Jan. 22. We can give you a few days beyond that, but try to get in the mail right away. You can also email it to [email protected].

Laurie P.

Greetings, my long lost wayward band of hikers. I will be making my (not so) triumphant return to HF after my 909 mile hike last year. Since my thu fell short, I'll be section hiking the rest. Jimmyjam and myself will be at this year's FFKO, them hiking south into Virginia for a couple of weeks. Maybe some of you will be at the festival. Watch out for Danger!

See ya there. This year I'm heading north to NH, last year I headed south to Daleville. If your staying at the Teahorse Hostel Sat, I'll have some fresh NH Maple syrup for the waffles in the morning
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yeah! Flip-flopping is the way to go! If you look at the most recent ATC data, you'll see 50% of flip-floppers succeed on our thru-hikes. http://appalachiantrailclarity.com/2016/02/17/why-a-flip-flop-is-more-comfortable/
    Great blog site for new and/or female hikers! www.appalachiantrailclarity.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Greetings, my long lost wayward band of hikers. I will be making my (not so) triumphant return to HF after my 909 mile hike last year. Since my thu fell short, I'll be section hiking the rest. Jimmyjam and myself will be at this year's FFKO, them hiking south into Virginia for a couple of weeks. Maybe some of you will be at the festival. Watch out for Danger!
    Good luck Danger...recall good times meeting you in Vermont.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

I too will be at the HF kick-off this year. Last year I only made it to the 501 shelter in PA. After this kick-off I'll be heading back to the 501 to restart my thru. Looking forward to meeting you all again as well as the new starters.

Good luck to all!
    Simple is good.

Great to hear from you guys. Looking very much forward to seeing the old and the new hikers...and have some delicious maple syrup! Sweeeeet!

Hello from Manassas Gap Shelter! Danger and Jimmyjam on the AT once again!

GrayGhost here in Vienna Virginia from Flip Flop Class of 2015. Made 600 miles last year and had a bad fall Aug 25 south of Parisberg, breaking wrist and left leg. After 10 mos of surgery, arm and leg therapy and training on the AT, I am starting SoBo Sun June 26 2016 below Pearisberg heading to Springer Mtn with plan to reach the summit by Sept 15 2016, then flip back to my northern most point in PA and continue North till Halloween 2016. Then in summer 2017, continue from there (NJ, NY or CN) to Baxter State park in ME. Wish all u the best that restarted this year, and hope to see some of u on the AT!
    GrayGhost
    [email protected]

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52
++ New Posts ++