WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

kushtakka,
    We'll be looking for you along the way. I know Swift Run Gap well. My car and my money passed over the gap for 4 years heading to JMU . I'm hoping to make HF by May 1st for a little get-together...

Charliehorse

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charliehorse View Post
    kushtakka,
    We'll be looking for you along the way. I know Swift Run Gap well. My car and my money passed over the gap for 4 years heading to JMU . I'm hoping to make HF by May 1st for a little get-together...

Charliehorse

I should see you guys on the trail as well. I'll be heading out from Elkwallow the last week of April.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charliehorse View Post
    kushtakka,

Charliehorse
    Hey you guys (Charliehorse, kushtakka, jimmy jam--and Praha, I think), I'll still be in short-hike mode in April with family visiting from the 18th to 26th, but I'll be out there in SNP often, adding up AT miles as schedule allows before longer trips, beginning
    with the HF kickoff. This seems like a strange and funny question, but how will I recognize you on the trail?

Also, I live 30 minutes from Rockfish and about 40 from Swift Run. If you need anything on short notice, give me a holler.

Images

I'm the one with green hiking shirt and green AT ball cap.

BSteinburg ; It is really cost effective to rent a storage locker and pay for the move back and forth rather than leaving your stuff where it is. Storage costs about the same per sq. ft. as less expensive apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbard View Post
    Hey you guys (Charliehorse, kushtakka, jimmy jam--and Praha, I think), I'll still be in short-hike mode in April with family visiting from the 18th to 26th, but I'll be out there in SNP often, adding up AT miles as schedule allows before longer trips, beginning
    with the HF kickoff. This seems like a strange and funny question, but how will I recognize you on the trail?

Also, I live 30 minutes from Rockfish and about 40 from Swift Run. If you need anything on short notice, give me a holler.
    Humminbard
    I'll be the old guy with the grey beard looking lost...

Charliehorse

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbard View Post

Hey Humminbard!

I may see you out there too. I plan on starting about two weeks south of Rockfish but tomorrow I have an MRI on my hip, which will tell me when and if I can leave at all. GULP. Anyway, thinking positively I WILL be the one with the white nurses shoes strapped to my pack. I know, weird, but they were cheaper and lighter than Crocs so I went for them! And thanks for the offer to help out, very nice to know someone is close by if needed.

Images

I hope that MRI turns out OK for you Treehugger.

Images

Ha! This is going to be so much fun! Me: No signature hiking outfit and no noticeable facial hair (I hope). Hmmm...Oh yeah, I always have bright pink surveyor's tape on my trekking poles (because I frequently leave them lying someplace), and sometimes on my pack too.

Treehugger, I'm sending all the healing energy I can generate and hope that you'll get the go-ahead after MRI results. My son just had his temperamental knee radiographed and was cleared for a NOBO from Springer starting in a couple of weeks. I'll keep an eye out for the white shoes! When are you planning to start? I've covered from Rt. 60 to Reed's Gap, but could join you for a day or two nearby if you want company.

And if any of you unexpectedly need an early Zero or Nero to make adjustments, I'm happy to give you a lift and/or a place to regroup.

As one of our group pictures I think we should each get a pair of flip flop shower shoes and a couple of feet of cord and tie the flip flops to the back of our heads like bunny ears. If you're gonna flip flop do it all the way'.

Hey, all you flip floppers! Wish you guys and gals the best of luck on your thru hike. I wish I could join you all since I am in the same age range as most of you. I will be hiking into HF on May 2 but will miss the festivities due to arriving about 6pm. Hopefully, I will run into some of you during my
    section hikes this year.

Thanks guys for the well wishes. I think I will wear flip flops as my good luck charms to my MRI. And Hummingbard I plan on starting April 4 from somewhere north of Roanoke. I will nail that down as soon as I get the word from the docs. I would love the company on the trail if we can swing it and the offer of help along the way is awesome. More later. Thx again.

Treehugger; when is your MRI ? I'll get a pair of flip flops and wear them in your support.
    I think we should all wear flip flops for the flip flop kick off, a funny comradery kind of thing.

My camp shoes are flip flops. Seemed appropriate. And, I have a FF patch on my Granite Gear backpack...sweeeeeet!

IMG_1080.jpg
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Treehugger; when is your MRI ? I'll get a pair of flip flops and wear them in your support.
    I think we should all wear flip flops for the flip flop kick off, a funny comradery kind of thing.
    That would be awesome! My MRI is this afternoon. So have to get a photo of all of us wearing flip flops at the KO! I love that idea and patches too!
    Cheered me right up Danger, thanks!

Last edited by Treehugger; 03-03-2015 at 10:54.

Hi all, Add me to the group. I'm SlingShot and 50 years young. Looking forward to seeing you all.
    I too am ready to get this thing underway.
    Good luck Treehugger!
    I like the patch DangerDave

Images

Welcome slingshot!

This is going to be quite the gathering! Don't forget, we're toasting our departure at the Two Rivers Guest House Saturday evening after the FFKO event. Everyone is welcome to stop by and sample some of my best home made wines. I'll probably be hiking with a hangover on Sunday.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Charliehorse - I lived in the 'burg for most of my 20's & 30's. I worked for about 10 years at the outfitter there (Wilderness Voyagers...closed down about a year ago :-(), and about 5 years at the JMU satellite library on the CISAT campus (east side of the interstate...before they build the new one).

Hummingbard - I'll be the middle-aged, borderline obese guy with longish blond hair (or will I shave it?) hiking with my wife in my Vibram 5-finger shoes :-). We will also be doing day & overnighters in the SNP during the first or second week of April as shake-down/training days...hoping to officially start north no later than the 15th, but we have no schedule...which, while a strange sensation, is starting to feel quite nice!

Images

I'm about to commit to making a reservation in Harper's Ferry for Saturday, May 2. Other than at dangerdave's Two Rivers wine-sampling shelter, where is everyone staying? I'm willing to spring for a comfortable room in town before spending subsequent nights hanging between trees in the woods. Any recommendations?

Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++