WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    That is funny, squeezebox! At least there won't be 20 the day before and the day after...etc.

Treehugger and jimmyjam, you are both welcome to come by and/or stay a night. My wife and I are still hammering out the details. When we get details settled, I'll PM info to you here on WB.

Sounds great! Thank you!

Hi everyone. I'm strongly considering changing my plans from a SOBO to a Flip-Flop (Harpers Ferry) this year. If so, I'll begin around 18 May -- after Trail Days. Still not 100% certain though. Take care.
    WeatherGuy

Well i just did a big thing, I just booked my flight to DC for May 1. I'm almost tearing up. So excited.

Congratulations, Squeezebox!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    The way things are coming together for the 2015 Class of Flip-Floppers is so exciting. This year is going to be historic..

1936 - first section-hike completed - Myron Avery
    1948 - first thru-hike (northbound) - Earl Shaffer
    1951 - first southbound thru-hike - Chester Dziengielewski
    1952 - first female thru-hiker and part of first couple to flip-flop - Mildred Norman (who subsequently became "Peace Pilgrim")
    1955 - first solo female thru-hiker - Grandma Gatewood
    1990 - first blind thru-hiker - Bill Irwin
    2015 - first Flip-flop Kick Off - group of forward-thinking hikers choose alternative itinerary to avoid crowds and help conserve the A.T.
    Sure seems a bit of a stretch to compare successful trail completions of those accomplished hikers with folks that are just starting a hike.

Historic?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Sure seems a bit of a stretch to compare successful trail completions of those accomplished hikers with folks that are just starting a hike.

Historic?
    Bruh, I think you missed your station a few stops back. GET OFF THE HYPE TRAIN!!!

Default Flip Flop Meet and Greet 2015

Ok, Class of 2015, Flip Flop Division, here's the deal. Drum roll, please!

Announcing the First Annual (Unofficial) Flip Flop Meet and Greet! I have rented the Two Rivers Guest House in Harpers Ferry for May 1st and 2nd. I am unofficially extending an invitation to my fellow WB Flip Floppers, Class of 2015 to join my wife (Irish Jo) and I for wine and comradery at the House on one (or both) of those nights. Hopefully, we can get most of us together and have a toast to our impending adventure. There will most certainly be some food---as long as it might last---depending on what we can collectively throw together (I think Jo mentioned lasagna!). The House will sleep more than just us two, so anyone who needs a place to crash for one (or both) of those nights, just let me know (PM). It's $40 a head per night (includes wine!) until it's full. Comparable to the hostels in an awesome setting.

Two Rivers Guest House
    52 Jefferson Street
    Harpers Ferry, WV

Please Note (Official Stuff): This is not an open call to come stay at the "party house". I will be renting the House under my name, making me responsible. Anyone coming to visit or stay with us will be required to respect the House and everyone in it, without exception. I will personally eject anyone who causes the least bit of trouble (not that I expect any, quite the opposite). We are going to have a wonderful gathering (hopefully a bunch of you will stop by), enjoy some drinks (if you desire) and have a chance to hang out for the weekend before we depart on Sunday.

Back to the fun part! So far, we have squeezebox staying with us both nights and jimmyjam on Saturday night. We can hold a few more. You guys/gals get first pick, here, on this thread. If we're not full by May, we'll try to scrape up some hiker trash at the FFKO to fill the gaps---

Let's do this up right!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

that's awesome dangerdave!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Images

That's great dangerdave. We hope to see you there!

Default List/number of May 3 HF starters and first night out

Flip-Flopper Class of 2015 (those starting in Harpers Ferry and heading northbound):

If you are willing, would you start a list so we have at least a partial count so far? I have started an Excel spreadsheet of flip-floppers, but haven't had time to update the list from all sources that I learn about prospective flip-floppers starting their hikes May 3 (and other times). I know people have made declarations on this thread, but it would be nice to have all the WhiteBlazers in one place in list format.

We also need to make sure we are not getting too large a group at the Ed Garvey Shelter (7 miles from ATC) the night of May 3. I'm in discussions with the land managers now about what number they think is the maximum that's appropriate. I really don't think it will be a problem if we are thoughtful about it.

If the group at Garvey Shelter gets large (more than 10, or the threshold might be higher since the "group" is not a traditionally organized group that will necessarily be hiking together), we may ask if some of the hikers (those who feel fit, are more experienced, have lighter packs, less into the social aspect of the hike) would be willing to plan on going to the Crampton Gap Shelter, 4.4 miles beyond. The Crampton Gap Shelter is a tiny, old-style CCC shelter (sleeps 6, built in 1941), campsites around it. The first 3.7 between Ed Garvey Shelter and Crampton Gap are almost flat, but there is a modest climb and descent at the very end.

There are other off-trail options for the first night, too.

1) Maple Tree Campground, a small woodsy commercial campground 0.4 trail west at the Crampton Gap road crossing (3.7 north of the Ed Garvey Shelter)
    2) Slackpacking and returning to Harpers Ferry for the night
    3) Slackpacking back to the Harpers Ferry Hostel, the least expensive commercial option, located in Maryland a little north of Harpers Ferry. Those who wanted to really take it easy the first day could stay here; it's 4 miles and change from ATC, then 1.1 mostly uphill roadwalk (or you might want to arrange a shuttle).

In Maryland, you are required to stay at designated overnight sites, so the only overnight options in the A.T. corridor north of Harpers Ferry are the two shelters (unless you want to go to the Rocky Run Shelters, which are about 16 from Harpers Ferry and outside the range that would be sensible for all but the most fit, experienced hiker with a lightweight pack who is in a hurry.

Back to the list. Please provide (if you are comfortable doing so):

First name and first letter of last name and/or Trail name
    Date starting out
    Intended location first night: (Ed Garvey Shelter/Crampton Gap Shelter/Maple Tree Campground/slackpack-return to Harpers Ferry)
    Want to start out from Harpers Ferry as part of the group? (yes/maybe/no)

If you don't want the information so public, then I'd appreciate it if you'd email me at [email protected].

Also, we plan to post an online thru-hike voluntary registration, probably within the next week. It will have options for nobo, sobo, and the Harpers Ferry flip-flop starting northbound. This first year is serving as a trial run. The software that is being used does not allow you to see how many people have registered on what days, just what days are at the maximum capacity. Hopefully we can change that next year. For the Harpers Ferry flip-floppers, I may be able to post the numbers that have registered for each day periodically.

We would like to have a group of flip-floppers starting out together in Harpers Ferry with well-wishers walking along at the beginning. Maybe just through Harpers Ferry, maybe across the footbridge over the Potomac River as you cross your first state line, or maybe along the 2.7 miles along the C&O Towpath. The town of Harpers Ferry is excited about being part of the kick-off. We'll want to take some pictures and probably have some kind of ceremony. We know that not everyone will want to be a part of this; that's okay. Those folks can start a little earlier or later in the day or another day altogether. But we do hope to have at least one person who's willing to help us publicly promote the Harpers Ferry Flip-Flop, and it would be nice if there were more than one hiker!

Laurie P.

Hey Laurie! Great meeting you at the Ruck by the way. That was a really good talk you and Sisu gave too. So, I have a question for ya, since I (and possibly many others) will be starting out south of HF and heading north, arriving for the FFKO, do you still want our info? I may even be past HF by May 2 but will grab a ride back for the KO if that is the case. I'd love to be part of the celebration and anything I can do to promote HF and the ATC would be icing on the cake too.

Already got a bunk at the teahorse, but if there are plans for a meet and greet dinner count me in.

Laura,

Thanks for the info. Can't plan at this point where I'll end up my first day out if Harpers May 3rd.

I do like the idea of a class of 2015 Flipper photo. But given individual plans a time and place photo opt may be tricky, so I suggest making a sign "Flippers 2015" for folks to take individual pics in front if the ATC.

The way this is coming together, I see Flipping being a possible growing AT event like say a Trail Days. (Flipper Days).

Might be getting ahead of myself. The idea of flipping does hold merit for ecology, the recent college grad schedule crowd like me. Just very excited.

Images

You are an amazing organizing machine! My question is pretty much the same as Treehugger's; that is, if all goes well I'll start sectioning someplace south of Harper's Ferry but would hope to attend the kick off in order to connect with other flip-floppers. This is all still very tentative at this point for me. Because I live near the Trail, I can hop onboard at any time. Is the info you're collecting primarily to determine how much of an overnight load the first two shelters will be carrying? I'm certainly willing to adjust my camping location for the good of the group. I have a hammock and will be happy to hang anywhere that reduces impact according to ATC preferences. I'm following this thread with great enthusiasm!

Yea, I was thinking about the shelter issue north of Harpers Ferry. Good info, Laurie. For myself, I'm willing to do whatever I can to help this event come out positive, even if it means leaving a day later to reduce the load at the first couple of shelters. I am presuming that---given a presumptive yearly increase in the Flippers---these issues would be addressed early instead of late. If the goal is to encourage alternative hikes, the infrastructure for handling them must grow along side.

Not to mention, if good stats are kept for Alternative Hikers---meaning who starts where and whether they finish---I think the results would show a larger per capita chance for success. To be able to claim a higher rate of completion for Flip Flops would go a long way toward dispelling the myth that NOBO is the "traditional" or "best" way to hike. Apparently, a lot of prospective thrus out there in social media land (understanding most of which will fail), know of nothing else. It's a propaganda war!

Here you go, Laurie...

First name and first letter of last name and/or Trail name: David L ("Danger")
    Date starting out: May 3rd
    Intended location first night: (Ed Garvey Shelter/Crampton Gap Shelter/Maple Tree Campground/slackpack-return to Harpers Ferry): Not sure, but wherever there is room.
    Want to start out from Harpers Ferry as part of the group? (yes/maybe/no): Yes, but I'm willing to modify my plans to lessen the FF Bubble. It's so cool we're even talking about that!

I hope my talk of a meet & greet at the Guest House didn't scare everyone off! You gonna come have a glass of wine, Laurie? I make some awesome redneck fruit wines...in addition to more traditional vinos.

100_0903.jpg

Images

Yikes DDave, you bring all that wine and everyone will be crawling out of HF.lol

Bryce K. / Squeezebox
    will start: May 3rd
    1st night: Ed Garvey
    group: Yes

Thanks everyone for your input, and to those of you who emailed me. This is an amazingly supportive and creative group.

Danger Dave - thanks for your leadership! You have really made a huge difference in encouraging folks and setting things in motion. And yes, I (and maybe even my husband Dick, of “Mountain Laurel & Hardy”) will join you for a glass of redneck wine Saturday evening :-)

Treehugger - great to meet you too at The Ruck and I'm looking forward to your help May 2!

Bsteinberg - Love the idea of a “Flip Flop Class of 2015" sign to use in pics for those not participating in the group send-off on Sunday.

News flash: ATC's executive director, Ron Tipton, wants to be a part of the event! He may even walk along for the first leg when you guys set off. Ron’s a 1978 thru-hiker and has been involved in land conservation his entire career. He’s just a great guy. You will love meeting him and he will love meeting you. His bio is here.

Default Less Trail Magic for Flippers?

SaltyBiscuit, thanks for being up front about your doubts and being smart enough to ask for encouragement. Starting a flip-flop, you will definitely not see the organized pre-planned trail magic the nobos do. But I guarantee you there will be trail magic of the spontaneous, unexpected kind, as long as you don’t look for it or even hope for it. Trail magic will come when you least expect it. The trail magic that will come your way will be personal and memorable for both you and the person who gives it—you won’t be just another face in the crowd of nobos.

As you are hiking, it helps to think of all those volunteers, 6000 of them every year, who work on their own free time to make your hike possible. The move rocks, dig in the dirt, lug chainsaws for miles, and run weedwhackers. They attend meetings, write proposals, and balance budgets. They carry out trash and maintain privies. They monitor rugged boundary lines for activities that threaten the trail corridor. You won’t see many of them out there on the trail; they do their work before you get there or out of sight. If you ask me, these are the true trail angels. Be sure to thank them whenever you do meet them, and sing their praises in the trail registers when you particularly notice their good work.

As for Southern hospitality, won’t it be that much sweeter at the end, rather than to walk away from it as the nobos do? Besides, there are kind and generous people everywhere on the A.T., even if there is undeniably a certain special flavor of hospitality in the South.

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++