WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hikers rescued from Mt Chocorua

http://www.wmur.com/news/hikers-resc...corua/29980242

Gezz, they hiked up 3 miles to a shelter, got cold and called for a rescue at 8 PM. Ya think if ya gonna climb a mountain in a snow storm, you'd be a bit more prepared to handle the conditions.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

So would the $25 rescue card cover their rescue costs. Reckless or negligent?. I would speculate its negligence so the rescue card covers it.

Journal Entries

3 miles? To quote Samuel L Jackson "Yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in hell!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Any weather report could have told them how cold it was going to be last night. Perhaps they thought they were hiking to a cabin and not an open face shelter? From the article, it sounds like they were in good enough shape to walk out themselves. So why didn't they just walk out themselves? No head lamps perhaps?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    3 miles? To quote Samuel L Jackson "Yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in hell!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A bit harsh but I also agree. Seems like this kind of thing happens more in the last few years.....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I like the fact the article had the link to hikesafe.com

Images

Like during the day, keep putting one foot in front of the other. Just slower and more carefully. Night hiking works in most areas. Vermont??

Another useless cell phone "rescue". Should have just stayed home and played video games. If they didn't have a cell phone what would they have done? Spent a night in the shelter or walked out?

So are people charged for rescues? I think they should be. Much cheaper to buy and carry the right gear than pay the cost of being rescued. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I like the fact the article had the link to hikesafe.com
    +1 on this. How convenient.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Maybe you guys are being a little harsh and jumping to conclusions. As far as we know, it could have been really bad. Maybe they forgot their fuzzy bunny slippers.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the term Hikers is misused by the journalist.

Images

I really do miss the days BEFORE cell phones and all of the new-fangled rescue alert devices...back when you either went out "prepared to stay out" or you became a "search and recovery" statistic. Harsh? Maybe, but there are too many people in the world today who expect "somebody" to come and bail them out of bad choices, instead of being forced to "own" their mistakes (and hopefully learn from them).
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Hence the need to charge for rescues, If there were house liens, wage garnishments etc. maybe people would take it a bit more seriously. If you really don't know what you're doing hire a guide. Way cheaper than the hospital bill for hypothermia. I'm probably over-afraid of hypothermia, better that than carrying a 40* bag and no down jacket into the Smokies in March. I'm currently reading Hobo's 2013 trail journal, and a bunch of people were pulled out of the Smokies with hypothermia in March 2013. Without experience ultra light can easily turn into stupid light.

Also! If it's; I'm cold and I can't get a fire started is not an emergency. If they could operate a cell phone they were probably warm enough to hike out.

++ New Posts ++