WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Night Hiking??

Rangers "hike" at night all the time. We don't need headlamps. Not many birds on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    By by the way, we're neighbors. I'm in Hershey.
    I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Lititz, PA. The round chocolate bars in 1970's era MCIs were made there. They were packed with the crackers. in a B-1 unit.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Rangers "hike" at night all the time. We don't need headlamps. Not many birds on the AT.
    We just follow the cat eye on the back of your head.

my hiking partner was a big black fury dog, we hiked in the shadows as much as possible,very early mornings & evening hikes too. she could over heat if we didn't pay close attention, we enjoyed the cool weather of night hiking,we hiked 100's of miles hiking at night, with her it was fun, without her not so much in the dark, she would alarm me even if a squirrel farted in the distance, i felt safer with her around night hiking and she didn't heat up nearly as much, fun times!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    my hiking partner was a big black fury dog, we hiked in the shadows as much as possible,very early mornings & evening hikes too. she could over heat if we didn't pay close attention, we enjoyed the cool weather of night hiking,we hiked 100's of miles hiking at night, with her it was fun, without her not so much in the dark, she would alarm me even if a squirrel farted in the distance, i felt safer with her around night hiking and she didn't heat up nearly as much, fun times!
    Dogs akin to Wolves, tend to be nocturnal in Nature. They like to sleep during the day, and hunt at night. Must be some long ago neurological wiring.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Be flexible and ready to stop if you get confused about which way to go. A couple of times I've come to an intersection or road crossing at night and it wasn't obvious in the dark which way to go or where the trail went back in the woods at a road crossing and I had to camp and look at it again in the daylight.
    Yep. I got to a road one morning about 45 min before light. Walked out of woods, went one way, then other looking for blazes on other side. None found. Went farther, 100 yds each way, nothing. Got pissed and looked at map, it showed trail very close to directly across from where i came out, just little to left. Walked down road again, nothing. Sat and waited for it to get light. Walked up and down road again, nothing. Pretty bewildered at this point.

Crossed road and looked close, there was the trail exactly where it was supposed to be. No blazes. Trail went up hill parallel to the road thru high weeds, unless were looking down the trail couldnt see it. Looking straight at hillside from the road it was not visible.

Images

I live in the Lititz area and know that section very well. It is the first spot I hiked on the AT, some 1900 miles later. That would be a pretty easy section to try hiking at night for the first time. Only turn is shortly after the trailhead at a small monument, headstone looking thing. 3.5 miles puts you in the Shuperts Gap where there are plenty of campsites. Some are right on the trail. Some are to your left 1/8 mi. down the blue blazed trail around the old power dam. Pm me if you have any specific questions on that area. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by gwb View Post
    I live in the Lititz area and know that section very well. It is the first spot I hiked on the AT, some 1900 miles later. That would be a pretty easy section to try hiking at night for the first time. Only turn is shortly after the trailhead at a small monument, headstone looking thing. 3.5 miles puts you in the Shuperts Gap where there are plenty of campsites. Some are right on the trail. Some are to your left 1/8 mi. down the blue blazed trail around the old power dam. Pm me if you have any specific questions on that area. Have fun!

thanks for imput

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Just did a hike near 501 last week. Heading South from 183 is fairly easy. Campsite in Shuberts gap with water. I love night hiking in winter (no bugs attracted by headlamp).
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++