WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default hiking with a 5 lb chihuahua

Is it feasable for a slow hiker and one who does not hike more than 8 miles a day to take my dog with me on hikes, she is a puppy and not full grown now but has so much energy I have been thinking about training her to hike with me. I took her on a 1.7 mile hike so far she did wonderful and still ran around when we got home. She sleeps with me in a hammock with no problems . Even if I have to carry her some times it will not be too much of a burden she will top out at 5 lbs I have a dog pouch she fits in that just slings over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    Is it feasable for a slow hiker and one who does not hike more than 8 miles a day to take my dog with me on hikes, she is a puppy and not full grown now but has so much energy I have been thinking about training her to hike with me. I took her on a 1.7 mile hike so far she did wonderful and still ran around when we got home. She sleeps with me in a hammock with no problems . Even if I have to carry her some times it will not be too much of a burden she will top out at 5 lbs I have a dog pouch she fits in that just slings over your shoulder.
    See if can get her to chase shelter mice. Make her earn her dinner!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

How does she do with other people is the big question. It's not just you and the dog, other people fit into the mix. Every Chihuahua I've ever met is aggressive, yappy, and an ankle biter. If she does not bark and does not attack people, I'm okay. Otherwise!!!

actually she is a bit of a chicken she is shy of people and shy of other dogs but she will chase cats playfully she is still young though she would always be on a leash mainly for the fact that she would be food to several critters in the woods. , I would be doing more hiking on less traveled trails than the AT , I just wanted to see if anyone else hikes with such a small dog,

I don't see why not, as long as you match her pace and not vice versa. Check with your vet about mileage, still-growing pups need special consideration.

Images

Harness works for my son's 8 pounder. Better than a leash, as he's learned to duck and tug to get out of a collar.

5 extra pounds if she decides she's had it for the day !
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

A five pound Chihuahua is probably good for 8,000 calories if properly prepared.

keep the small dogs close, a big bird of prey would love to snack on a small dog. no joke!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    keep the small dogs close, a big bird of prey would love to snack on a small dog. no joke!
    Well being a Dog Lover myself, you seem to be of the same camp. I Appreciate your compassion, but the Birds have to Eat.

In march of 2013 we went on a trip to Amicaloa Falls the chihuahua only lasted the first 40 steps the Dauchsund only about the first 70 or so....
    carry a 9 lbs dog and then an 18lbs dog can be maddining at best. we now have a herd of dauchsunds and they are good for the low land 5 mile trip....after that well up high in the woods it could be a dinner bell for some kritters....
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Keep in mind that if your dog puts a tear in my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent etc. you owe me a new one.
    I'm glad you have a dog you love that much, I've had some some really good dogs in my life. I'm currently dogless but I'm waiting for the next wonderful dog to show up. My son just got a shepherd/boxer mix, nice dog, too excited, jumps on people, eventually calms down. She's okay for day hikes, nor for anything more. Talk to Dogtra she's the expert about dogs.

I think it's a mistake to take a puppy on anything but a one day hike for a few miles. I took an 18 month old dog on an attempted thru hike which lasted approx. 900 miles. I loved having him with me but it ruined his legs and shortened his life. My advice is don't do it.

Humans with a 5lb. Chinchillas are dangerous...give em a wide birth!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    How does she do with other people is the big question. It's not just you and the dog, other people fit into the mix. Every Chihuahua I've ever met is aggressive, yappy, and an ankle biter. If she does not bark and does not attack people, I'm okay. Otherwise!!!
    Keep in mind that if your dog puts a tear in my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent etc. you owe me a new one.
    I'm glad you have a dog you love that much, I've had some some really good dogs in my life. I'm currently dogless but I'm waiting for the next wonderful dog to show up. My son just got a shepherd/boxer mix, nice dog, too excited, jumps on people, eventually calms down. She's okay for day hikes, nor for anything more. Talk to Dogtra she's the expert about dogs.
    Good grief, the OP was asking about the feasibility of taking her dog, not asking to rehash the dogs on the trail debate.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I'd be reluctant to take a puppy for two reasons. First, I have no idea what such exertion on a growing body would have but it doesn't feel right. Your vet could probably give a more reasoned opinion. Second, it hasn't yet learned to be a "good dog" and you'll be putting it in an environment that is very distracting and works by a different set of rules than will be present during the rest of it's life. I like my dogs disciplined and obedient. That takes a focused effort for the first 12-18 months to make sure they learn the right lessons. In my opinion, life on the trail provides just a tad too much anarchy to train a dog. That said, you may like a dog that's slightly out of control. Many people do.

One thing I always kept in mind when I had to add my pup to my pack weight - An unexpected slip/trip and fall can happen at any time. If I wasn't willing to fall harder to protect little Jack, he would have got squashed.

the thought of falling and squishing my baby occured to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    the thought of falling and squishing my baby occured to me too.
    Falls on the trail are the number one cause of injury...for people. Hmmmm

I've been taking my sister's less than 1 yr old Chihuahua Dachshund 50/50 mix, a Chiweenie, named Yankee, out on short, 4 mile or less, leashed walks by myself. Although, I've recently been adding one of of my nieces or nephews into the dog walks. As such, the dynamic changes. I feel as I'm having to train not only a dog but now, also at the same time, a child and their relationship with the dog in a hiking(outside of the house) setting. He gets cold really easy and starts shaking with his short hair. I have to put a little dog coat on him even in 60* temps at very moderately paced walks. I have to pace myself carefully being that I'm 6'4" with a good hiker stride compared to Yankee who probably has to take 30 little dog steps to my one stride. It's been hard training him as my sister's three adolescent children(as well as my big mouth sister) regularly amps up this little excitable dog. He quickly naps after the walks. If I didn't restrain him teaching him pace I think he'd quickly tire after only a couple of miles resulting in carrying 5 lbs of animal. I have enough carrying this 200 lb animal down the trail. I'm trying to settle him down without having to always be held as I notice SO MANY chichi dog owners routinely doing. I guess it's the teddy bear/teddy dog/lap dog syndrome desired by humans. Chiweenies are a different hybrid anatomically though from 100% Chihuahuas ie; he has a deep stomach with a longish wheel base so I have to pace him getting his mileage up when I think he's up to it. Anatomically, the Chiweenie hybrid has much stress placed on its back/spine. Mostly, flat and very gradually graded short hikes on manicured soft tread at a slow pace are in order for Yankee, for now. We'll possibly see about dog booties in the future. When not around my sis or nieces and nephews he's responding exceptionally well to commands. It's when the chaos and commotion starts, like when conflicting orders are given to Yankee, or when around other dogs things get challenging fast - he gets out of hand. Maybe, it's because my dog training skills are lacking too. Heck, i could say the same about humans getting out of hand in such situations too.

I'm no dog expert but IMHO, based on what I know about Chihuahuas, this is not the best breed to take on long hikes. 8 miles may be too long of a hike for this breed to walk on flat terrain, even less should it be a hike on unmaintained, steeper, or rocky hikes or on multi day back to back longish mileage hikes. Little paws little legs. Think about it. This breed can certainly be yappy with a shrill bark that doesn't go over well should you encounter others where you are hiking. They are an excitable breed. When a lot is going on they usually don't stay calm unless much training has occurred. They can be aggressive to other dogs as well even to other breeds much larger than themselves. Chihuahuas can be a jealous breed very protective of their owners once the two become bonded. Again, sociability isn't one of this breed's strong points; take this context of sociability at home in your typical family setting verse the sociability that can play out/is likely to occur with strangers on hikes. It's my guess if you push/over stress/lack sufficient training your chichi you'll resort to carrying it, which makes me start questioning things, like whether you should be taking the dog on hikes where it's actually intended for the dog to also hike. And, as I said above about myself, it's not just the dog that needs to be trained but it is you(me, us) who needs to be trained on how to properly train your(our) dog! - in a hiking setting! - if it is you who is doing the dog training(sounds like it is). Dog owners are often ignorant about this part! It's often the dog owner that is at the heart of dog issues not necessarily the dog per say!@#

BTW, my sis currently lives on a lake in GA on the outskirts of Atlanta with a pr of, I think, Red Shouldered Hawks, an occasional Osprey or Bald Eagle(I've identified 100% these two), that cruise the area that I've noticed eyeballing Yankee. I don't let him wander around far from me or off leash. My sis already had a 100% Toy Chichi come up missing when she lived in Charleston on a lake with alligators, Ospreys, and resident Bald Eagles. I kept telling her to not let that dog wander around along the lake by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    I'd be reluctant to take a puppy for two reasons. First, I have no idea what such exertion on a growing body would have but it doesn't feel right. Your vet could probably give a more reasoned opinion. Second, it hasn't yet learned to be a "good dog" and you'll be putting it in an environment that is very distracting and works by a different set of rules than will be present during the rest of it's life. I like my dogs disciplined and obedient. That takes a focused effort for the first 12-18 months to make sure they learn the right lessons. In my opinion, life on the trail provides just a tad too much anarchy to train a dog. That said, you may like a dog that's slightly out of control. Many people do.
    http://www.chiwawadog.com/temperament.html

++ New Posts ++