WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    To give an example, the AWOL guide book shows a unreliable spring on Frosty Mt @ mm 4.3 on the Springer approach trail but it's not on your map. I understand the difficulty of mapping a unreliable water source if the water isn't running but I do believe the unreliable water sources should be marked as well, and here's why. If I'm thru hiking a section of trail, I kinda know how much it's been raining in that area the last couple of weeks and I would have a pretty good idea if the unreliable sources are running or not. By the way, I'd still buy your app the way it is and I look forward to your new release. I just looked at the app store and it looks like you pulled the old AT apps off.
    Agreed. My plan for updating trail info in large batches is going to be the subject of another post sometime in January, but I am going to try to fully update the entire trail's data over the next two or three years, and try to keep cycling through like that. Until then, it's all a matter of what I can get from individuals who can send me GPS coordinates of points.

As for the old apps being pulled off, the only AT app I've ever been associated with is AT Hiker: Guthook's Guide, which is still in the Apple and Google App Stores. If you're referring to the old ATTrail apps, I was never associated with them and don't really know much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    Rather than showing every type of terrain, it would just highlight major anomalies like road walks, PA rock fields, alpine zones, etc. Still, that's a long way off at this point. But it is on my mind :-)
    More photos? Why not, have noteworthy trail conditions photos, then. Not GPS, except perhaps GPS data in with the digital photo data to place the photo properly.

Images

The metric contour lines on the map were because I didn't have access to a good base map in feet. But the new map sets in the updates will give you the ability to choose between a metric base map and an American base map, so that will finally be taken care of.
    Excellent! And thanks for the explanations.

I have your app on my Samsung S3 and just bought a new S5. Any advice on how I will transfer the app or will that be done for me when I take it in to be activated and have my data transferred?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

If you're making a list - and checking it twice, I had sent you this suggestion 20 months ago.
    Add Hostels located near crossings (with phone numbers) that will shuttle hikers. I thought of creating some virtual trail journal postings at Dicks Creek Gap for the Blueberry Patch Hostel, Stecoah Gap for The Cabin in the Woods, etc. etc. but decided it really needs icons on the map so hikers could see how far away the hostels are.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

I may have some food for thought for the future. It would be nice to have a quick way to find a shuttle into town. Some female thru hikers don't really like to hitchhike into town and are always looking for a safe ride. Then there's those days when it's pouring rain and all you want to do is get in town but who's going to stop and pick up a smelly soaking wet thru hiker. With your awesome app it would be as simple as just pressing the highlighted phone number.

Okay now I know I'm reaching for the stars but wouldn't it be cool also to have a way to know that I could get pizza delivered to trailhead/crossings. You could call a mile out and just be waiting a little while for it to get delivered piping hot.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    If you're making a list - and checking it twice, I had sent you this suggestion 20 months ago.
    Add Hostels located near crossings (with phone numbers) that will shuttle hikers. I thought of creating some virtual trail journal postings at Dicks Creek Gap for the Blueberry Patch Hostel, Stecoah Gap for The Cabin in the Woods, etc. etc. but decided it really needs icons on the map so hikers could see how far away the hostels are.
    Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    I may have some food for thought for the future. It would be nice to have a quick way to find a shuttle into town. Some female thru hikers don't really like to hitchhike into town and are always looking for a safe ride. Then there's those days when it's pouring rain and all you want to do is get in town but who's going to stop and pick up a smelly soaking wet thru hiker. With your awesome app it would be as simple as just pressing the highlighted phone number.

Okay now I know I'm reaching for the stars but wouldn't it be cool also to have a way to know that I could get pizza delivered to trailhead/crossings. You could call a mile out and just be waiting a little while for it to get delivered piping hot.
    That's a good suggestion for Guthook, but paper guides have this information. Of course, you could hike the trail without them but I would think paper is a lot quicker to reference, or safer than pulling out an expensive device in the rain.

Oooh, good catch. I just tested it out on iPhone, and see what you mean about the data book view while southbound. Added to the to-do list. This one may take some tedious work to fix, but shouldn't be particularly hard.
    wouldn't it just be a very simple line of code like if (goinSOBO) mileage=AT_length - NOBO_mileage ?

As for the android issue, would you mind emailing [email protected] with the details of that? That's Alice's email address-- she does all the android programming, and she is reading this thread but might be able to pick out the problem better if you can discuss it with her.
    Now done. Happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post

+1 another vote for both those ideas! I hope us male thru hikers will be allowed to use it as well. grin

Quote Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
    wouldn't it just be a very simple line of code like if (goinSOBO) mileage=AT_length - NOBO_mileage ?
    Yes-- that is more or less how it works, which is why it's going to take some doing to find out why it's not doing that on the databook view specifically in search mode. I'm also noticing that in Southbound mode, the databook still lists the waypoints in northbound order, though with southbound mileage. And the GPS puts the user in the wrong location when southbound in the data book, too. Time for more debugging :-)

I have the thru hiker PCT package (android) and noticed that many waypoints seem to not have photos. I realize that not all waypoints have photos but I recall more photos the last time I browsed the app. So I cleared all data from the cache and re downloaded photos and still not seeing photos. For example, in the SoCal section, there is not photo appearing for the Saddlebqck junction waypoint at Saddle Junction/Devils Slide (mile 179.4) even though I know there is a photo since this is the screen shot featured in the Google play page for the app. See photo attached.

PS: I'm cyber hiking today.

image.jpg
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

I have both the AT and Florida Trail apps. I find that when I reverse trail directions, the mileages listed to next reliable water are sometimes wildly incorrect. I would like to see those bugs fixed.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That's a good suggestion for Guthook, but paper guides have this information. Of course, you could hike the trail without them but I would think paper is a lot quicker to reference, or safer than pulling out an expensive device in the rain.
    Some people have water resistant devices (i.e. Sony), and do not want to cary a guide book at all, or have the guide books in pdfs. Peronally i am looking at the Sony xperia z3 compact tablet, that I think would be perfect for the AT.

Hi there -- I just became aware of that issue and will post an update to the app tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience -- photos will be back after the next update. ~Alice (Guthook's Guide Android Developer)

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I have the thru hiker PCT package (android) and noticed that many waypoints seem to not have photos. I realize that not all waypoints have photos but I recall more photos the last time I browsed the app. So I cleared all data from the cache and re downloaded photos and still not seeing photos. For example, in the SoCal section, there is not photo appearing for the Saddlebqck junction waypoint at Saddle Junction/Devils Slide (mile 179.4) even though I know there is a photo since this is the screen shot featured in the Google play page for the app. See photo attached.

PS: I'm cyber hiking today.

image.jpg

Guthook ans Sly - thanks for your great work for those hiking the trail.

I personally do not want any pictures when a view your APP or trail guide. i want to experience the trail as it is. I want to be able to figure if I should make right or a left. If I makes wrong turn then I half to back track.

Its pretty sad people want pictures of a split in the trail! Why are you hiking? I mean you could just watch thousands of youtube videos showing every turn, rock, tree, and dead leaf on the trail.

Maybe we need two APPS for the AT! One for the hikers that actually experience the trail and one for those with that need to be guided at every turn, warned of water on the trail from rain, god forbid I didn't know a small creek was ahead, or sunny area so I can apply sun screen, help the shelter is full!, I've never set up my tent!.

Well I guess I could go on. Guess I'll just follow a paperback guide as the pictures on theses APP's will ruin the whole experience.

The youth should think about doing something on their own and not following pictures on their phones. Pretty sad in my mind.

I'm only 41 so I'm not against technology, but you are out hiking! Enjoy the wilderness! If you turn off your super phone you may actually see what life is all about!
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 12-21-2014 at 06:13.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    I have both the AT and Florida Trail apps. I find that when I reverse trail directions, the mileages listed to next reliable water are sometimes wildly incorrect. I would like to see those bugs fixed.
    Hey SteelCut. I found the problem a few weeks ago, so when the new update comes out, that will be a part of it. We're in the testing phase for the update a little ahead of schedule, happily. I'm anticipating a mid-January release.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySnook View Post
    Guthook ans Sly - thanks for your great work for those hiking the trail. I personally do not want any pictures when a view your APP or trail guide. i want to experience the trail as it is. I want to be able to figure if I should make right or a left. If I makes wrong turn then I half to back track. Its pretty sad people want pictures of a split in the trail! Why are you hiking? I mean you could just watch thousands of youtube videos showing every turn, rock, tree, and dead leaf on the trail. Maybe we need two APPS for the AT! One for the hikers that actually experience the trail and one for those with that need to be guided at every turn, warned of water on the trail from rain, god forbid I didn't know a small creek was ahead, or sunny area so I can apply sun screen, help the shelter is full!, I've never set up my tent!. Well I guess I could go on. Guess I'll just follow a paperback guide as the pictures on theses APP's will ruin the whole experience. The youth should think about doing something on their own and not following pictures on their phones. Pretty sad in my mind. I'm only 41 so I'm not against technology, but you are out hiking! Enjoy the wilderness! If you turn off your super phone you may actually see what life is all about!
    Johnny, you can choose not to download the photos in any of the apps.

Images

Hey SteelCut. I found the problem a few weeks ago, so when the new update comes out, that will be a part of it. We're in the testing phase for the update a little ahead of schedule, happily. I'm anticipating a mid-January release.
    That's great to hear. I'll be looking forward to the updates.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by alicebodnar View Post
    Hi there -- I just became aware of that issue and will post an update to the app tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience -- photos will be back after the next update. ~Alice (Guthook's Guide Android Developer)
    That's great news. I'll look forward to the update!

Johnny, I use the app for planning purposes and my phone will be off for most of the PCT. I found the Colorado Trail app useful this year at times. You could choose to not even download photos. The situation isn't as binary as you make it seem.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Just got section 1 for the AT and it looks awesome. Im doing Davenport Gap to Springer in March and its exactly section one of the app. Can't wait to use it!

While checking out the app the first thing I thought of was having the ability of deleting some of the comments in the trail register. I suppose having the choice to delete certain photos, such as the one with car and road at Neel Gap would be a nice option as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++