WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canada, Eh?

Default Canada, Eh?

So I haven't (officially) crossed the border in many years, and not since 9/11.
    My family may be visiting some folks in Rochester, NY traveling via minivan from Chicago.

Looking at the map it appears we can perhaps take a swing through Canada via Detroit, save some time, see new country, and take a gander at the great Niagara in the bargain. Or swing via Cleveland if needed but going Canada bound sounds more fun eh?

My wife and I have passports, the two chitlens (4 year old and 6 month old) don't. When I crossed as a yout we simply presented birth certificates at the border for those of us too young to have photo ID.

So the question- is this still a viable option? Or does everyone need a passport and photo ID these days?
    Figured there's enough folks here with practical experience of visiting out neighbor to the north.

About the only thing we would have to declare might be some beers to take to transplanted friends and some dirty diapers.

Images

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/canada.html

I think this page has the information you need.

Quote Originally Posted by ocasey3 View Post
    http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/canada.html

I think this page has the information you need.
    It does- under 16 is still just a birth certificate.
    Thanks to you in lovely Baaaaahr Hahbar.

That was no fun though... was hoping at least there'd be some BS and funny stories before I got a serious post

Images

Sorry, Bill, wish I had something more interesting to add. I will say this, if you are looking at going to Niagara, do it from the Canadian side. I've done both and the Canadians are really doing it better. Oh, but do make sure your girlfriend isn't hiding contraband. That's all I'm gonna say about that...

Do not make jokes, at a border crossing. Not one joke. Not a shred of a sense of humor.

I live near the US-Canada border. No one says eh. No jokes, okay? Not at the border crossing.

Not later, much, either, if any: I don't get to share funny stories with my Canadian friends.

I don't know. Maybe it is "undignified".

I do know the US-Canada border is "sensitive" about traveling with children, that are not your children. My oldest brother and his wife liked to take the grandkids. The border officials explained they get grandparents bringing grandchildren over the border during a separation or a divorce. Traveling with children is a sensitive topic. Not a smirk. No jokes.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-06-2014 at 17:04.

Can't help with the kids. Ours our grown. But we drive to Canada all the time (sister-in-law lives in Ontario). I might suggest using the Blue Water Bridge (Port-Huron/Sarnia) rather than the bridge or tunnel in Detroit. I94 is the suckiest interstate I know. You can cut off some of it by picking up I69 by Marshall. Or you can cut off more but taking I196/96 via Grand Rapids (my town). When you get to GR, take the M6 south bypass, unless you want to stop in downtown BEER CITY USA (let me know if you need beer shopping/drinking info). Going this way you get to avoid Detroit (unless you really want to see Detroit aka NOT beer city), although you still have to drive through Flint (but you don't have to stop - really not beer city).

The view from the Blue Water Bridge is pretty nice. The Ambassador Bridge (view: meh) is owned by some rich guy who buys politicians to maintain his monopoly (blech). You can guess what the view from the tunnel is like. The drive to London (where you rejoin the southern route) on 196/96/402 is kind of boring, but I prefer it to dodging most of the semi-trucks in North America going across I94. The back-up at the border can be bad but sometimes there is none at all. It pretty unpredictable. It's been a long time since I've crossed at Niagra Falls. As pointed out above, view the falls from the Canada side. It's still a tourist trap, but at least it's an attractive tourist trap. We always crossed the Rainbow Bridge (right by the falls). Never had much problem. The other crossings are on the highway and much more crowded. But we always seemed to get lost in Niagra Fall NY trying to get back to the highway (pre-GPS days).

And when driving through Canada you can drive 110 mph on the highway. When the cops are hauling you off to jail, just say "but officer, the sign said speed limit 110". Let me know if that works. ;-)

Many years ago we were crossing into Canada at Niagara Falls. I was driving. When asked about the purpose of our visit, I answered truthfully that we were on our way to a karate tournament in Toronto. This seemed to concern the man in the booth. My wife leaned over to address the man in the booth. "But we're only white belts," she said. That brought a smile to his face and a moment later we were on our way.

I've traveled to many countries and, by far, the most intense "interrogations" have always been upon entry to Canada. I have no idea why. I had fewer questions entering Israel which really surprised me. And most other countries the bored customs agent simply rubber stamps the passport and that's that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Bill,

If your relatives suggest going to Wegman's supermarket as a fun outing, be sure not to make fun of them. It is thie version of Mecca. Feign excitement and ask them about Danny's new Ferrrari. Seriously, don't laugh at them.

You may also ask about where to find the best garbage plate.

110 KPH kilometers per hour = 68 MPH miles per hour

Seatbelts, etal. If you get a ticket, in Canada, it affects your insurance in the United States.

Not guilty, is not "good enough". If "The Crown" (prosecution) withdraws the charge, then no problem. They did for me, but the officer remembered he pushed the door shut. I was getting out of the vehicle.

I used to go up to Canada for cross-border shopping often. My favorite was "Super Tuesday". I called it Super Tuesday. It was the first Tuesday of the month: 40% to 60% off at the best grocery stores ever. Well, compared to Montana grocery stores, their grocery stores are fantastic. Extra Thick steaks in family packs. Muscovy duck. In comparison to greater San Francisco grocery stores, their grocery stores in Leithbridge, Alberta are excellent. Maybe that grocery store really is that good.

My amateur radio friends actually took me, after overnight at their house, on into Leithbridge for fish-and-chips and beer, then, shopping. It can be an event, especially if canadians are your host.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-06-2014 at 18:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I've traveled to many countries and, by far, the most intense "interrogations" have always been upon entry to Canada. I have no idea why. I had fewer questions entering Israel which really surprised me. And most other countries the bored customs agent simply rubber stamps the passport and that's that.
    Depends in large part on what you look like and where you've been. Decades ago my friend and I were detained for an hour or two at the border entering Switzerland from Italy at the St. Bernard tunnel in the Alps. The Swiss border agents could see from our passports that we'd been in Morocco a couple of months earlier and must have figured we were running drugs. They started taking our car apart, removed wheels and tail lights, etc.

If you want to do any hiking while you are here, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

I recently returned from a trip overseas. Border crossings even for the same country can be inconsistent. The two that have taken the longest for me were Russia and the U.S.

When I was a baby, my parents were driving to Canada by way of Niagara Falls. Since they looked like typical hippies, the border agent had them pull to the side and began detailed questioning. They also looked through the car, when the agent started to put his hand into a bag my father told him to stop, that he didn't want to do that. Abruptly, the agent asked why not. My father pointed to me and said he has soiled his share of diapers on this trip, you really don't want to put your hand in there.

I got something for you to think about before you cross the border you may want to fill your tank full of gas. They pay almost double than what we pay. If you happen to have to buy something while you're up there be sure to use your bank card or credit card so you don't have a handful of loonies and Tooney's. You will also get the exact exchange rate. On your way home if you go through Cleveland that should be right about the spot where you going to need to stretch your leg and the Rock 'n roll Hall of Fame is there. One more thing if you going to bring a pet be sure to have the vet papers or they'll turn you around.

Expect your car to be searched at customs.. going to Canada and possibly coming back into USA as well. They may not search but they often do. I presume you are clean (i.e. no criminal record) because if you aren't, they will know and you won't get into Canada. At the border be all business and be friendly.

Ditto about the gas. Way cheaper on this side of border. Exchange rate is now near par.

You do need a passport.

DavidNH

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Bill,

If your relatives suggest going to Wegman's supermarket as a fun outing, be sure not to make fun of them. It is thie version of Mecca. Feign excitement and ask them about Danny's new Ferrrari. Seriously, don't laugh at them.

You may also ask about where to find the best garbage plate.
    Funny- the husband in the family we are going to visit works for Wegman's. Least I have an inside joke to share now- though he is an Afgan Vet- so if the Ferrari line is fatal please let me know

OMO- as usual- your post may require a map and some research but thanks!

I believe my speedometer in the Honda has a metric setting, worst case I will wear my size 46 shoe to avoid a lead foot and declare a full tank of gas prior to entry.

My only official border crossing into Canada was in the boundary waters at ages 16 and 17, I was carrying a gun which like any good gun toting outdoorsman did not declare. No issues at all, but fairly irresponsible I suppose.

No one showed up when I relieved myself on Canada on the LT either for that matter.

Canadians were my favorite people to party with when my wife and I used to take the all inclusive style trips, with the exception of the one-legged swede who handily drank me under the swim up bar, the Canadians by far were the most fun. Or maybe it's just that their passivity allows them to take my abrasive humor without visible insult.

Excepting also the three mother/daughter pairs (40s and 18 year olds celebrating HS graduation) from Wisconsin we met in Jamaica. That was a pleasant border crossing, but as I am now a father with a daughter I don't believe I'm allowed to discuss such things any longer without being creepy.

Thanks and keep em coming- especially any Niagara Tips- or if it's even worth it? Sounds like I might be driving into Gatlinburg Eh?.

To me the best place to see the Falls is up in the needle. No matter how thick the glass floor is I just can't walk across it. I was going to say to stop in Ripley's believe it or not but it might not be the best place for a four-year-old and a six-year-old. With those two all I can say is good luck.

Gatlinburg is a good caparison. At NF, all you really need to do is get to the Table Rock Visitors Center.

http://goo.gl/maps/r8xOy
    http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-...k-complex.html

Take the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) highway to NF. Get off on route 420 (the main road into town). When you get the end of the highway, the road splits (left to USA, right to the falls). Go right. This will take you to Niagra Parkway - the road that goes through a rather nice park along the river. The Table Rock Visitor's Center is at the lip of the falls, 1.2 km on the left. Parking can be a problem sometimes.

http://www.niagaraparks.com/about-ni...ara-falls.html

At the visitor's center you can buy crap, eat at Tim Hortons (they won't let you out of the country unless you can prove you've eaten at TH), and get the absolute best view of both falls. From there you can walk pedestrian path down river with good views of the falls and very nice parks. The falls really are pretty impressive.

To get to USA, just retrace your steps to the bridge. But just before the bridge, turn left and go up Clfton Hill to see all the stupid stuff.

http://goo.gl/maps/rfY0X

All this silliness does have one redeeming value. It is said that the tacky commercial development at NF inspired the US to develop its National Parks to preserve its natural wonders and protect them from the same fate that Niagara Falls suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Canadians have the same thing ... in reverse.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I do know the US-Canada border is "sensitive" about traveling with children, that are not your children. My oldest brother and his wife liked to take the grandkids. The border officials explained they get grandparents bringing grandchildren over the border during a separation or a divorce. Traveling with children is a sensitive topic. Not a smirk. No jokes.
    Yes indeed. If you are traveling with a child and the other parent isn't along, bring along a notarized affidavit from the other parent giving the child permission to travel. If you're chaperoning other peoples kids, bring along affidavits from both parents. In the case where there's a widowed parent, bring along a certified death certificate for the dear departed.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++