WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Still searching for the right tent

About a month ago I narrowed down my decision on a shelter between the StratoSpire 2 and the Lunar Duo. My section hiking plans have changed some and as of now it looks like I'll be going alone so I'm considering a smaller shelter. Some of the things that are important to me are weight, quality and size. Being 6'2" I can't have to short of a shelter I either length or height. I worry some with water splashing up around the floor on the SMD. If I'm only saving 5 or 6oz is it even worth downsizing to a 1+ shelter such as the StratoSpire 1? Any input I greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have you looked at the Light Heart Gear So Long 6? It weighs about the same as the Stratospire 1, but is longer and wider.
    http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/...ong-6-standard
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

If you're back to a single person shelter I think the Tarptent Notch would be long enough to suit you, though it's a tighter fitting shelter (narrow). Sticking with just the ones you listed, if you haven't yet purchased the SS2, the savings in in weight (and cost) of the SS1 would be an easy "yes" for me. The SS2 is absolutely huge for one person.

For what it's worth I own an SS2 (when I backpack with my daughter) and Notch (when I go solo).

If you're really worried about getting wet from the ground, don't be afraid to look at hammocks. www.hennessyhammock.com has some good starter hammocks. Additionally, you can learn a lot from www.hammockforums.net

I have used SMD SKytrekker Scout and I am very happy with it. Used it on moderate rain days with no problems. Never in prolonged, heavy downpour. I am 6 foot. My feet generally hit the wall of the tent which poses a very minor problem with condensation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Have you looked at the Light Heart Gear So Long 6? It weighs about the same as the Stratospire 1, but is longer and wider.
    http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/...ong-6-standard
    Great set up, I've used it for the past two years. I would buy another if I ever needed to replace it.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries

I suggest weight not be the biggest issue for a tent on the AT. Rain and wet ground protection should be crucial. I wish I did better in this way. This is not the PCT or whatever. In a 150 day hike it's gonna be wet 50 days. Ground protection is important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Thanks for your input. I'm very impressed with Tarptent and like the roominess of the StratoSpire. Do you have any problems with condensation or with water splashing in near the top of the bathtub floor by the mesh? Are you happy using trekking poles rather then a standard tent pole?

Just ordered the SMD Lunar Solo SE for only $140 (a $40 savings) from their website and am really looking forward to receiving it.

I'm only 5' 10" so the length isn't too much of a factor. The price seemed attractive compared to many other offerings.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianOH72 View Post
    Thanks for your input. I'm very impressed with Tarptent and like the roominess of the StratoSpire. Do you have any problems with condensation or with water splashing in near the top of the bathtub floor by the mesh? Are you happy using trekking poles rather then a standard tent pole?
    The lightheart so long? Is made for taller hikers. You may want to look at that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

I've only had condensation when camping in lousy conditions (on grass, open sky, low lying areas next to lakes, no wind, etc.) I'd expect condensation in any tent in those conditions. It was never enough to wet out my quilt though. I usually leave half a door open on either side so I get a solid cross breeze which avoids the condensation issue. If it's really windy I'll button up, but open the end vents.

I've never had water anywhere near the bathtub floor. The vestibules are so large in the Notch and SS2 that the floor is quite far from the edges of the drip line. I've been in all night rain in both tents without issue.

I'm quite happy with using my trekking poles. I always hike with two anyway. I have no desire to carry an extra set of poles that are even weaker than my trekking poles.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default StratoSpire 1

[QUOTE=BrianOH72;1927137]Thanks for your input. I'm very impressed with Tarptent and like the roominess of the StratoSpire. Do you have any problems with condensation or with water splashing in near the top of the bathtub floor by the mesh? Are you happy using trekking poles rather then a standard tent pole?[/QUOTE
    Ive been training/ testing (at a campground) for the "AT" for 4 months now. I've used my Clark hammock , MSR carbon reflex 2, and the Stratospire 1. Hands down the Stratospire 1 is my goto tent,second is the Msr Carbon reflex 2. Never had my down bag get wet due to condensation or splashing,there was sign of splashing on the netting but no sign of water inside. I've been at this campground for 4 months, tent,pad,down bag been there all 4 months.

So I've been looking at the SoLong 6 and can say that I'm pretty impressed. I was wondering if you went with the standard or the custom? Also do you have any issues with condensation? Do you use a ground cover with it such as Tyvek or is the floor durable enough? Thanks!

I have thought cuben may be helpful, as a tent "footprint" or as a bathtub floor for a tent or an inner net tent.

The idea: it would be relatively easy to shake off water and wipe down, if necessary.

Does anyone have experience with abrasion resistance or puncture resistance, for this "application"?

So I've been looking at the SoLong 6 and can say that I'm pretty impressed. I was wondering if you went with the standard or the custom? Also do you have any issues with condensation? Do you use a ground cover with it such as Tyvek or is the floor durable enough? Thanks!
    I have a SoLong 6 that I used to replace a Big Agnes Fly Creek 1. It has so much more room. I used a tyvek sheet under my pad, but not under the whole tent. I figured it cut down on the mud and such while giving me a little more insulation and protection.

Like others have said, I'd buy another one-- seems like a solid design. -- Well, actually, I had to add a loop of red string to one of the tieouts so I could easily find the right hand corner to help aid setup. They all looked
    the same in the fading darkness.

Im 6'2" and I love my Zpacks Duplex. I have tons of room in it length wise and sitting up as well. Plus with two doors and an awesome design to keep the doors open even in a light rain its amazing. Plus at 21 oz. with stakes its not that heavy. =) Tons of room for all my gear inside the tent in the bathtub floor.

The Zpacks Duplex is durable, long, tall and very weather proof. In addition, I have very little condensation issues due to its superb ventilation.

Images

If you can afford it, go with cuben fiber. Packs almost dry, waterproof, light...............a great fabric. I had a tent made of sil nylon, did NOT like the "misting", waking up damp, just not ideal. Combining really light & dry = cuben fiber

GA-ME 2011
    Images
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    We just snapped one of these up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++