Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking Skirt

Default Hiking Skirt

I have long wanted to wear a hiking skirt. Where in the world do you find one? Are there any with pockets? I wear mens hiking pants with zip off legs so I have something to wear no matter what the weather and they have a lot of pockets (which I use). I don't sew, so I need to find one already made.
    Anita
    kncats other half

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

mountain hardwear used to make one, and may come out with a new one before next summer. Nike makes one, Royal Robbins makes one. Just google women's hiking skirts and that should give you several choices. My wife hikes too, so I have become well versed in both mens and womens hiker fashions. The royal robbins one looks very similiar to the old mountain hardwear pack wrap skirt.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

I just went to rei.com - clicked on women's apparel then did a search for "skirt" - came up with a page full
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Another alternative is a "board skirt" It is made out of the same material as men's board shorts. (Surfer's trunks)

Lightweight, snag resistant and dries in a flash.

I lucked out and found 2 for sale, $5.00 each. I have worn the blue one on every hike since and wear the orange one during hunt season. This particular skirt is great becasue it came with a large pocket on the side.

good luck in your search, hope you find a skirt as comfy on the trail as I do.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

I have a Columbia Sportswear greenish khaki hiking skort WITH pockets that I love. It has a front flap with a "pinch-in" buckle; it holds up well and looks pretty decent even after several days on the trail. I'm not sure how old it is (probably at least 2-3 years is my guess) but hopefully you could find one like it. It has become one of my great hiking garments, where when I put it on I get all fired up for hiking!

Jane in CT

MEC sells a couple of versions.

PKH
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Images

Just bought a Patagonia skirt on ebay for less than $10 with one zip pocket and buttons and a buckle to adjust the waist.
    Turtle2

Images

Also, check out sportkilt.com if you're interested in a kilt.
    Greg P.

Images

Sorry to read a pink post but I sometimes hike in one of these. The male model and it has pockets.

http://www.macabiskirt.com/
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

lol...I love the patterns on that sportkilt.com but man are the women's skirts a little short or am I turning into my mother?

there are great reviews about those Macabi skirts on BGT
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I"ve been looking at the Macabi skirt on line and have read the reviews on BGT. My husband wonders if the strap hanging between your legs when you have it hiked up is annoying. I wonder if it catches on brush etc. as you walk by. I am seriously considering getting one.

I have found that men's hiking pants have better pockets (bigger and more) than women's. I wonder if the pocket configuration is the same for the man's skirt and the woman's skirt.

I think a skirt would be easier for peeing and I wear skirts when I can since I think they are cooler than shorts. I figure I could always put on pants if it was too cool outside.
    Anita
    kncats other half

Please forgive yet another invasion of the female domain . . . . . . .

But my wife did all of her hikes this past summer in a skirt - just above knee length I believe. She was amazed at the freedom and coolness, and wonders why all women don't do the same.

I'm sure I don't know.

Cheers,

PKH
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PKH
    Please forgive yet another invasion of the female domain . . . . . . .

But my wife did all of her hikes this past summer in a skirt - just above knee length I believe. She was amazed at the freedom and coolness, and wonders why all women don't do the same.

I'm sure I don't know.

Cheers,

PKH
    PKH, you could get a kilt.....
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

I have recently discovered tennis skirts as a alternative. I don't enjoy wearing underwear, so that pretty much ruled out any regular skirt or kilt. With the tennis skirt, the spandex-ish shorts provide coverage, but I have found it is still more comfortable than shorts. You can even pee without having to pull it down. May be a little TMI, but it works!
    The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. --- Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)

Images
    See ya when I get there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soulrebel
    Interesting... I think my hiking partner would like the one that slits up to the waist!!

This summer while on the AT, I switched from my convertible pants to a skirt. It was a great decision. Actually it was my husband, Snowman, who convinced me... He purchased a Mountain Hardwear Kilt, called a Mountain Kilt, in Damascus, and loved it! So, I had my parent's send me a skirt I already owned, and traded in my pants. The skirt was a Cloudveil skirt, very light, had one side pocket. Not necessarily meant for hiking, but I really enjoyed hiking in it. It was light and airy, and I could actually dry out if we stopped for a long lunch after a sweaty morning (there were many on the AT this summer, let me tell you!), which was wonderful. I found wearing a skirt very comfy, and I know Snowman did too, although he did get some funny looks while wearing the skirt in town :-)
    -Sparkplug

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger
    I lucked out and found 2 for sale, $5.00 each. I have worn the blue one on every hike since and wear the orange one during hunt season. This particular skirt is great becasue it came with a large pocket on the side.

good luck in your search, hope you find a skirt as comfy on the trail as I do.
    Hey HH ~ what brand of board skirt is that? I love board skirts but haven't been able to find them with pockets! Thanks in advance.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matter compared to what lies within us.":jump

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lilmountaingirl
    Hey HH ~ what brand of board skirt is that? I love board skirts but haven't been able to find them with pockets! Thanks in advance.
    Unfortunately I can't tell you the brand a I cut the labesl out and they are now about 4 years old.

I got a Columbia with pockets, not as big but more of them at Sports Authority.

And 2 on sale at Seirra Trading posy, they were Allegheny Trails.

Sue

Thank ya much for the info, HH! I'll have to check STP and maybe Dick's.

Cutting the labels out...imagine that...
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matter compared to what lies within us.":jump

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++