WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If Texaco added his gear, Transportation cost it would have been more like $5000 or more, that's about right. after a person buys all the gear and transportation you'll spend around $4000+ on the trail. $3300 seemed a little low for a 4 month hike

I seriously think he had a few Mail Drops mixed in their, and supplemented the food with food he bought at stores, the reason I say this is some of the cost at a few of the resupply stops seemed way low for the distances he was covering between some of the stops.

On my 2012 thru I spent $5700 total cost that includes Gear and transportation, so on trail I spent roughly around $4300, and it took me 4.5 months

Thanks Texaco this gives prospective thru-hikers a rough idea on how much they should expect to spend on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I seriously think he had a few Mail Drops mixed in their, and supplemented the food with food he bought at stores, the reason I say this is some of the cost at a few of the resupply stops seemed way low for the distances he was covering between some of the stops.
    This is in fact the internet, and context is tough... but are you implying that I'm not telling the truth?

I've stated more than once now that I never once got mail drops with food. I purchased everything I ate, and everything is detailed above. I received two boxes on the trail, each with a pair of new Trail Runners and a 2lb bag of twizzlers or Mike & Ikes. I literally have zero reason to exaggerate or leave out details here - this post is to help other people planning, not to make myself look like a godsend of A.T. Finances. I booked my travel with air miles, as I travel for a living, so that cost me nothing out of pocket. Gear was easily less than $2k. I spent just over $2,000 on the trail.

If you want to get into what I spent on gear, we can. That's a whole other thing. In the mean time, I'd ask that you please read what I've said and make note that I DID NOT RECEIVE FOOD FROM MAIL DROPS ON THE TRAIL. I hiked long distances and did them quickly. There's an entire page on my blog dedicated to mileage - feel free to review it:

http://www.2180miles.com/hike-stats.html

In the mean time... I continue to hope that this provides assistance for people planning. My financial numbers are only those pertaining to the first post on this thread, and any additional details I've provided in my own posts since... Let's keep this clear and understood.
    Last edited by Texaco; 12-17-2014 at 20:57.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Garlic
    Images

Texaco, as I said in a previous post your numbers on food are nearly exactly what I spent for a similar-paced AT hike. I'll back you up with my experience on the AT and several other long hikes.

I hiked with a partner on the AT. We shopped at the same stores and ate at the same restaurants. He spent nearly twice what I did on food. My typical grocery bill for an 80-mile four day resupply would be about $25. His would be $50 or over, and would include lots of expensive packaged stuff. At the restaurant, I'd spend less than $10 and he'd spend a minimum of $20. Yet we both had excellent, fun hikes, we both stayed strong and healthy, and we both stayed within our budgets. Neither of us cared what the other was spending.

Texaco - I'm glad you have come back to whiteblaze.com and discuss your hike and and share your side and results of your hike. I know I posted some negative posts about your hike.

It really impresses me that you have donated to this site so I have no doubt your a ATC donating member!

It really impresses me to see you posting here after your hike. I truly didn't think that you would. I'll have to look into your gear. I really wanted a ZPack tent and a good sleeping bag but i don't that is in going to happen. Looks like I have down size my dreams regarding gear. I will be spending $300+ on my fishing gear.

If anything we need more hikers like Texaco.

I signed up to your RSS but never got any updates? Was I banned?
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 12-21-2014 at 05:53.

Forest just completed his Thru and it cost way more than I have seen so far. He did not list what all was included, but he must have bought a small car to get to the trail. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=479232

Forest just completed his Thru and it cost way more than I have seen so far. He did not list per item included, but he must have bought a small car to get to the trail. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=479232

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

He mentioned going to the ER. Unfortunately, anything medical is expensive. I had to take the Mrs to the ER earlier this week. Even with insurance, it was still a $200 co-pay. ouch.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySnook View Post
    I will be spending $300+ on my fishing gear.
    Why? If your going on an AT hike, the money is best spent on a good sleeping bag and/or tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Why? If your going on an AT hike, the money is best spent on a good sleeping bag and/or tent.
    Exactly!!! The fishing is not that great (if at all) on the AT. Why would you even think about spending that much to go hiking with. If you want to go fishing on the trail simply get a stick and bring some line and hooks or flys and for a buck you have your fishing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    He mentioned going to the ER. Unfortunately, anything medical is expensive. I had to take the Mrs to the ER earlier this week. Even with insurance, it was still a $200 co-pay. ouch.
    Forrest also had to return home for a week which doubled his travel costs

Texico, thanks for sharing. I don't know why folks have to be skeptical of someones hike because that was not their experience. Glad you had the disepline to keep your costs down.

I will be bring a Tenkara rod which weighs 2.1 ounces. Add in the rest of the gear it should weigh less than 8 ounces. I thought a fly rod would be better but Tenkara is the way to go. Very light and backpacker friendly. I've even found a few tenkara guides that are very into hiking.
    Many have commented that fisherman have been very kind to them as the thru hike. Giving them the fish they caught etc. As I research and join fishing forums I feel the trail magic provided by fisherman in different states might be quite enjoyable. Nothing like swapping fishing stories and grilling trout over a hot fire.

Yes, I know the fishing opportunities are few and far between but it is something to look forward to for me. HYOH? Right? If I don't want to spend 2 days in town parting should I feel guilty for fishing a close by stream? Sounds like it.

I won't be skimping on gear. The difference in price between a Zpack Duo tent and Big Agnus copper spur or Fly creek will cover the tenkara expenses.

Are the Big Agnes tents crap? Its seems many here like them? Are they lying?

Should I spend the extra $300 on the zpacks tent instead?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySnook View Post
    Should I spend the extra $300 on the zpacks tent instead?
    Please keep this thread to the topic on which it was created. There are many other avenues on WhiteBlaze to discuss your fishing. This is not one of them.
    --
    Texaco

First of all, I'm not doubting the numbers at all. But I am curious about how one goes about hiking so cheaply when it comes to resupply. On my 260 mile section hike from Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs, PA this spring, my records show that I spent $120 on groceries, $18 for sending one resupply box, and $180 on restaurant meals. I note that Texaco spent $33.97 on a resupply in Waynesboro, $27.99 in Fayetteville, and then didn't spend anything until Hamburg which is past the point where I got off the trail. So it seems like it cost just around $62 for resupply for longer than my hike whereas I spent $120 - double the amount! I eat pretty basic food while on the trail but splurge at restaurants whenever possible. And I'm not really dead set on further reducing my costs but as a frugal person I'm fascinated by how some people can hike on very little.

Anyway thanks for posting the numbers. I have rarely seen anything this detailed on actual costs.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Nice going Texaco. I'm glad you mentioned that you received a couple of pairs of trailrunners in the mail so future hikers can factor that into their budget. Out of curiosity were you in shape or have prior hiking experience to your thru? 3 1/2 or 4 months is quick for a thru. It might help others to know what kind of shape they need to be in to pull this off if they are thinking about a low budget hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    First of all, I'm not doubting the numbers at all. But I am curious about how one goes about hiking so cheaply when it comes to resupply.

Anyway thanks for posting the numbers. I have rarely seen anything this detailed on actual costs.
    Having not been through that section in over 6 months now, my memory won't be spot on. What I can say however is a little more info on my speed. You mention 260 miles - for me at that point on the trail, I'd have covered that distance in 10 days - 10 bagels for breakfast, a jar of peanut butter, 20 pop tarts, granola bars, 10 tortillas with a 1 lb block of cheese and a bag of pepperoni, 10 pasta sides and a handful of ramen noodles and dried veggies for dinner, and two dozen lemonade/raspberry flavored drink mixes. Plus my obligatory Glacier Ice gatorade in towns. Even at an EXPENSIVE resupply, these items are easily doable for $62. Add in shampoo for the YMCA in Waynesboro, detergent for the laundromat in the same city, and toilet paper... We're still probably right at those numbers.

Again, this is just a thought and I was flying through miles at that point in my hike (1,000 miles in 5 weeks) so my distance would be greater, stops fewer, and an equal amount of food consumed vs. someone hiking 15-20 miles a day for the same time period. When I slowed in MA/VT/NH to hike with a new group that became good friends, I was resupplying far more frequently, and spending more per mile than I had been when I was just busting my ass through the mid-Atlantic region.
    --
    Texaco

Very interesting, thanks. I hiked that section in 13 days, around 20 mpd, so I was slower and that no doubt contributed to higher food costs. Also, just Starbucks Via coffee packets alone would have been around $25-30 - two per day, although that's probably more of a "luxury item" than food. One of my goals is to find a palatable instant coffee cheaper (and more available) than Via for my PCT thru hike next year.

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    Nice going Texaco. I'm glad you mentioned that you received a couple of pairs of trailrunners in the mail so future hikers can factor that into their budget. Out of curiosity were you in shape or have prior hiking experience to your thru? 3 1/2 or 4 months is quick for a thru. It might help others to know what kind of shape they need to be in to pull this off if they are thinking about a low budget hike.
    Thank you.

First pair of New Balance 1210MTs went from Springer to Damascus, with easily more mileage left in them. Second pair went from Damascus to the Delaware Water Gap, and were nearing the end of their life (we're talking 900 miles at that point) and my third pair went from DWG to the 100 Mile Wilderness, where the soles split off after 800 miles including PA, VT's mud, and the Whites)... I duct taped them together for the last 90 miles of Maine (sucky situation, but beat hiking barefoot) and hiked Katahdin in a new pair. Can't say enough about NB as a brand, and the tough-going nature of their MT1210 Trail Runner.

Shape wise- I wasn't in great shape. I remember saying at Jacob's Latter, mile 150 or so, that I'd never make it to Katahdin. I cycled across the country in 2007, my only other big-magitude trip, and didn't really get in shape for that either. I figured with the AT that I'd build the muscle as I went (I have this advantage due to being 22 at the time, vs those twice my age). By the time I hit Kincora Hostel, I challenged myself and hiked 35 miles into Damascus in 12 hours. Leaving Harper's Ferry I hiked 62 miles in one day (20 hours and 32 minutes of hiking, 23 hours with breaks), from Harper's to PA's Highway 30 by Waynesboro... the blog entry for that day is here:

http://www.2180miles.com/trail-blog/60-for-60

The muscle builds while you're out there. I went in planning for 150 days on the trail and hiked the distance in 114 with 5 zero days. People are capable of whatever they allow/want/push themselves to be capable of.
    Last edited by Texaco; 12-22-2014 at 14:38.
    --
    Texaco

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    One of my goals is to find a palatable instant coffee cheaper (and more available) than Via for my PCT thru hike next year.
    Costco will often have the Via on sale for $12 for a pack of 24..or about .50 a packet. If you don't have/want a membership, you can buy gift cards. Non-members can use gift cards to purchase items. May only work if you maildrop (or bounce ahead) the Via.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Costco will often have the Via on sale for $12 for a pack of 24..or about .50 a packet. If you don't have/want a membership, you can buy gift cards. Non-members can use gift cards to purchase items.
    That's a good tip. I never thought of shopping Costco with gift cards.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++