WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    First of all, I'm not doubting the numbers at all. But I am curious about how one goes about hiking so cheaply when it comes to resupply. On my 260 mile section hike from Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs, PA this spring, my records show that I spent $120 on groceries, $18 for sending one resupply box, and $180 on restaurant meals. I note that Texaco spent $33.97 on a resupply in Waynesboro, $27.99 in Fayetteville, and then didn't spend anything until Hamburg which is past the point where I got off the trail. So it seems like it cost just around $62 for resupply for longer than my hike whereas I spent $120 - double the amount! I eat pretty basic food while on the trail but splurge at restaurants whenever possible. And I'm not really dead set on further reducing my costs but as a frugal person I'm fascinated by how some people can hike on very little.
    As I mentioned in post #23 above, I hiked the AT with a partner who easily spent twice as much on food as I did, even though we shopped at the same stores and ate in the same restaurants and had as much fun. I wasn't a miser and he wasn't a spendthrift, just above below the average. I did not drink coffee or alcohol on the AT, and that makes a difference. My friend also enjoys expensive restaurant desserts and I don't.

You can spend a lot of money without being really frivolous, and I can see how your food costs could easily be twice those of Texaco's (and mine, since mine were nearly exactly his).

A lot of my resupply would be a mixture of rolled oats, raisins, and walnuts, bought in larger boxes/bags and mixed in ziplocks on the bench outside the store. For $10 I'd have four or five days of muesli, roughly half my calories. The rest would be $15 worth of cheese or PB, tortillas, nuts, crackers, and some fresh fruit and veg. My partner would buy lots of packaged muffins at several dollars each, boxed cereals, higher-end crackers, honey, small quantities of different types of nuts and berries, cured meats--the same calories but costing more. Both of us went stoveless and our hiking styles were very compatible--meals took the same amount of time and we liked to stop at the same times and eat about the same amount.

I had the money to spend. My hike came in way under budget, both time and money. I just didn't see the need to spend more money on food--it just didn't matter to me.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Some great money saving ideas here... One other item that jumps out at me is energy bars. They aren't cheap anywhere and sometimes extremely expensive in trail towns but I typically go through a few per day. Maybe I should work on substituting a granola/oat/nut mix of some sort along with the occasional candy bar.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

When hiking as a member of a group you tend to spend more money. So many time "group decisions" end up going into town more often than not.

Please keep in mind, when splitting a motel room with a group, be upfront with the motel manager regarding the number of hikers in your group. Usually the motel will only add $5 or so for the 3rd or 4th or 5th hiker. But sneaking in buddies is a sure way to hurt future hikers if discovered by the motel manager. I know of several motels that used to offer a hiker discount...they stopped that, one even charges a premium for hikers.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Some great money saving ideas here... One other item that jumps out at me is energy bars. They aren't cheap anywhere and sometimes extremely expensive in trail towns but I typically go through a few per day. Maybe I should work on substituting a granola/oat/nut mix of some sort along with the occasional candy bar.
    Excellent point and one I didn't consider because energy bars are not a part of my universe. I don't turn them down when I find them in hiker boxes or when offered by a generous and/or over-packed section or day hiker, but I'll never buy one. The cost per unit of nutrition is pretty outrageous, compared to a handful of nuts and raisins. Not to mention the packaging. Single-serving packaging has no place in my pack. And they're often mostly high fructose corn syrup anyway. Sorry, end of rant.

One barometer of the cost of your food is the garbage you pack out. The less trash you carry, the more you're relying on cheaper bulk foods. I remember one 170-mile six-day resupply on the CDT (Cumbres Pass NM to Silverton CO) when all my trash fit in the empty peanut butter jar, and I had a handful of reusable ziplocks for the next resupply.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    The cost per unit of nutrition is pretty outrageous, compared to a handful of nuts and raisins.
    Even when purchased at Wal Mart, each Clif bar is almost $1 so it does add up. I'll have to do an analysis of the nutrition provided in a Clif bar compared to what I can put together with granola, raisins, nuts, etc. On the Colorado Trail, I assembled that type of mix at one stop where each Clif bar was around $2.50. I believe this was Silverton or Lake City. Silverton is also where I paid $7 for a package of fig newtons and nearly $10 for a tube of neosporin.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I was buying an 18 pack box of granola bars/chewy bars at Dollar General for $3 - they were 100 calories a piece, but even at 3 a day you've got nearly a week of snack foods to be consumed every few hours. As was said by garlic08, fancy things like Clif bars (white chocolate macadamia nut) were only consumed when day hikers were handing them out. They cost WAY too much for the 260 someodd calories they provide.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Please keep in mind, when splitting a motel room with a group, be upfront with the motel manager regarding the number of hikers in your group.

Absolutely. The three hotels I stayed in were in Hot Springs, Waynesboro PA, and Gorham. 3 of us in NC, 2 of us in PA, and 4 of us in NH. Rates weren't added to with the extra people, and they were happy to bring extra towels, but we were up front about how many of us there were, and went above and beyond to keep the place clean, especially after resupply shopping, before leaving. That's simply a habit I have as I live in hotels around the country for work. Especially in trail towns where hikers take advantage of not cleaning up, it's great to try and go the extra mile for cleaning staff and owners that welcome you into their business.
    --
    Texaco

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Costco will often have the Via on sale for $12 for a pack of 24..or about .50 a packet. If you don't have/want a membership, you can buy gift cards. Non-members can use gift cards to purchase items. May only work if you maildrop (or bounce ahead) the Via.
    BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT OF THE DAY! Half price VIA is a dream!

Good info texaco!! very inspiring.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Thanks for posting this!! I don't understand why it has to be more expensive, honestly. I've been struggling financially as I just graduated and will have to start paying loans back while I am on the trail (means I am working two jobs now in order to save!) And I know I am going to get sooooo much crap for this but I probably will only be able to save around 1500. I am planning to do it as quick as possible, never staying in towns unless there is a hurricane or something, and also possibly skipping a portion of the hike (I am thinking PA since I live here and hike it already, so -200 miles). Any POSITIVE comments or suggestions? I am doing my hike no matter what, as a positive experience for me to discover and express myself so I would appreciate anyone who is going to say I am planning for failure to please not comment.

Great info Texaco; greatly appreciated for those of us in planning stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie J Romans View Post
    Thanks for posting this!! I don't understand why it has to be more expensive, honestly.
    Because stuff costs a lot. With only a $1500 budget you have to hope absolutely nothing goes wrong. No need to replace gear, no need to hole up in town for a few days, no injuries to deal with. You'll have to think about every penny you spend and spend it wisely. If your used to scraping by with little or nothing and don't mind not having a shower for a few weeks at a time, then you have a chance.

One thing which hasn't been talked about much is having a partner. Doesn't have to be for the whole trail, but someone you can split the cost of food and lodging with. A lot of food is packaged so you end up throwing some of it away. If you can split that with someone it reduces both your costs. And don't forget to get a discount or savings cards for the major supermarkets you'll encounter. Hostels are priced per person, but motels you can split with others. Every so often you can find a free shower, but you'll need to have your own soap and shampoo, so carry a little of both.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Have not read all posts but the spreadsheet shows Lodging only 5 nights for the entire thruhike. That is not typical for 99% of the thruhikers I have met, so please don't plan your hike with that little $$ budgeted for Lodging.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie J Romans View Post
    Thanks for posting this!! I don't understand why it has to be more expensive, honestly. I've been struggling financially as I just graduated and will have to start paying loans back while I am on the trail (means I am working two jobs now in order to save!) And I know I am going to get sooooo much crap for this but I probably will only be able to save around 1500. I am planning to do it as quick as possible, never staying in towns unless there is a hurricane or something, and also possibly skipping a portion of the hike (I am thinking PA since I live here and hike it already, so -200 miles). Any POSITIVE comments or suggestions? I am doing my hike no matter what, as a positive experience for me to discover and express myself so I would appreciate anyone who is going to say I am planning for failure to please not comment.
    I'm sure it is possible to hike the AT with very little money. I saw a few do it quite cheaply. One was a border-line transient living out of hiker boxes along the trail. I found it generally cheaper down south & more expensive up north. But, some expenses will occur whether or not you like them or not. For example, you'll probably have to replace your trail running shoes 3 times on the trail. At $125/ea, that is already $375 of your $1500 budget. I had bad experiences w/ bending & breaking hiking poles. From VT thru ME, I bent or broke 5 poles. I had pole sections sent to me several places along the way. Since I considered hiking poles a necessity (I'm clumsy on a good day), I had to replace these broken sections (I had Black Diamond on speed dial). I had to re-treat my rain jacket a few times as it lost its ability to bead water on the surface. All my other stuff lasted the entire trek.

Some cost saving considerations:
    - minimize town stays
    - minimize the duration of your hike (long hiking days = fewer hiking days = less money spent)
    - don't pass up 'free' or 'nearly free' lodging (i.e. Jailhouse Hostel, Kincora Hostel, Gorham NH trail angels)
    - ask for Walmart gift cards (or other gift cards) as presents
    - look for opportunities to share motel lodging w/ others (I usually shared w/ one other; I saw younger kids often putting 4 in a room; this minimizes the costs dramatically)
    - keep a positive hiking blog; sometimes hikers will get 'gifts' from people following their blogs (Subway gift cards, free motel room somewhere, free house stay, etc.; I saw it happen to others)
    - if parents are willing to pick up shipping costs & accompanying hassles, you can buy food in bulk before the hike & ship it to you along the way; will lower food costs overall
    - start your hike later (assuming NoBo hike) so there are less chance of a winter weather delay
    - if you have family or family friends that travel a lot for business, see if they'll donate some hotel points for a room along the way (Erwin, Waynesboro, etc); I got a freebie in Erwin & another when I finished in Bangor.

Full disclosure: I budgeted $5,000 ($1000/mo) for my 5-month hike. I spent $6,600. But, I'm retired & had a Platinum Visa card. As I grew tired of being wet & miserable, I often sought refuge in hostels/motels (63 nights indoors out of my 152-day hike).

Best of luck on your thru-hike.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by Lybarger View Post
    Have not read all posts but the spreadsheet shows Lodging only 5 nights for the entire thruhike. That is not typical for 99% of the thruhikers I have met, so please don't plan your hike with that little $$ budgeted for Lodging.

Off the top of my head, 3 hotels, and probably just over a half dozen hostels. Yes, not as many as most, but this was simply to show that it is doable if you are dedicated/driven to do it for less. Also, it is worth the mention that some hostels allow work-for-stay options if you're in a bind.
    --
    Texaco

Texaco, how much of an impact did trail magic/hiker feeds play in your hike, especially in the southern section where I'm told trail magic abounds at every road crossing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I'm sure it is possible to hike the AT with very little money. I saw a few do it quite cheaply. One was a border-line transient living out of hiker boxes along the trail.
    Hiker boxes are for all to enjoy. For those planning an upcoming hike on a tight budget, please don't count on hiker boxes as your principal source of resupply. Leave some for those behind you.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Texaco, I wasn't de-railing your thread. I just hate it when so many say a fishing rod is a waste of time. Yet you carried a heavy camera body(twice the weight of a tenkaka rod) yet everyone jumps on the fishing rod.

I did say I wanted to investigate your gear also for cheaper options. Just Sayin…
    I'm not 22 so top of the line gear would be nice. I have been trapped in a rain forest for 2 weeks in central america years back and made it out some how. There was a ranger with a machine gun laughing at us for days and a week and we had to hike 15 miles out in 100+ temps but we made it. They knew we were there but the ranger was looking for cougar poachers and couldn't leave. Straining water out of brackish estuary to drink for 3 days wasn't fun either, I contracted an ameba that nearly killed me. I bet most kids these days wouldn't make it. It was hell.

You kids have it so easy. Spot GPS to follow you everywhere you walk to keep your parents happy. Try being stuck in a remote national forest in central america for 10 days.

In fact you had to order another camera body when your's got wet. What was to cost of that the time spent waiting for it?

I guess i should take back my comments saying you proved me wrong and helping future hikers? One of the few young hiker like yourself that cares about the trail.

Know young bucks like you the only thing that could slow you down was an injury or a woman? Which was it? i think the later! LOL.

You kids have it so easy these days. If I could get a call thru to loved ones during these times it was great. I think a another great black out of the northeast would be great. Maybe this time for 7 to 10 days. I will say the years spent in central and south america I'll never forget! Best time ever! If I was a rich kid it would of been better!
    For now thats it. What to go fishing?
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 12-29-2014 at 08:49.

Journal Entries

There is no right or wrong way to hike this trail or any amount of money it costs. Folks can be frugal and it works. You tend to figure it out as you go, how you'll be. I hiked with a guy who stayed in a hotel 1 time.

I spent $10,000 on my thruhike. I hiked it in exactly 5 months and took 31 zero days. I stayed in only the better hostels and hotels. Sometimes I shared a hotel with 5 other people. Sometimes I got a room for myself bc I wanted that alone time. I rented cars a few times in town. I went into NYC for 4 days.
    If I didn't spend the 10 grand I would not have made it. Others like texaco, it comes a little easier and they don't need as much rest and luxury after a 25 mile day. Hyoh as they say. Glad I had the money to do it the way I did and the folks that I hiked with, kinda felt the same way and all had the budget to do so. Everyone I kinda hiked with spent well over $5000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    Texaco, how much of an impact did trail magic/hiker feeds play in your hike, especially in the southern section where I'm told trail magic abounds at every road crossing.
    Trail magic was great, but it was more of a dessert after my own meal. It wasn't regular enough to count on it as a principle source of food. Trail magic at "every road crossing" may be a stretch, though it is certainly more present in the south... down there, and everywhere, it will mainly be a cold soda/beer, and some sort of candy/snickers bar. The rare occasion will be a BBQ or someone with homemade corn bread (god that was delicious... a mom of a NOBO hiker stopped down in Virginia with home made cornbread and burgers).

The only thing I'd say that I truly benefited from with trail magic/hiker boxes were fuel canisters. They limited me to only actually buying two... One at Neel's Gap, the other at Wood's Hole Hostel.
    --
    Texaco

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++