WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If you can afford it, buying a bag for the summer months will really be worth it. You are not going to be happy lugging around that 10* in June, July, and August in the mid-Atlantic states where the nighttime low is 60-70. You probably won't even be able to sleep in it during July!

And I agree with Malto that you might consider a more versatile system. A 10 degree bag is pretty limited - you will be comfy when it's very cold, and not very comfy the rest of the time! Another option besides a bivy is to have two bags or quilts. For example a 20* bag and a 40-50* quilt. I think this is a great "3-season-plus" option. In spring or fall, use the 20. In summer, use the 50. In the farther reaches of spring and fall, layer both! (the downside is it's a little bulkier than using a bivy, but the upside is the summer use)

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    If you can afford it, buying a bag for the summer months will really be worth it. You are not going to be happy lugging around that 10* in June, July, and August in the mid-Atlantic states where the nighttime low is 60-70. You probably won't even be able to sleep in it during July!

And I agree with Malto that you might consider a more versatile system. A 10 degree bag is pretty limited - you will be comfy when it's very cold, and not very comfy the rest of the time! Another option besides a bivy is to have two bags or quilts. For example a 20* bag and a 40-50* quilt. I think this is a great "3-season-plus" option. In spring or fall, use the 20. In summer, use the 50. In the farther reaches of spring and fall, layer both! (the downside is it's a little bulkier than using a bivy, but the upside is the summer use)
    This is undoubtedly the best bang for your buck system. Also if you can be happy with the weight, a 20 degree down bag/quilt and a 40/50 degree apex (synthetic) quilt on top has some benefits to keep moisture away from your down insulation when using them together. MLD Spirit 48 would be a good over quilt/warm humid wet weather quilt in my eyes. EE makes one to similar spec as well that I'm sure is great.

With that said, with that added versatility and cost effectiveness, comes a weight penalty. As always the pros and cons must be weighed and evaluated individually.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Furthermore, after pondering it in my head. I wasn't aware of ULA's awesome warranty. Makes me want to spend the extra $50 on a new one rather than picking up one on the used market. Even if I pick up another pack at some point, I don't think I'd sell the ohm. Would make for a great beater or lender for a friend.
    Buy it directly from ula, your name is in database and they go out of way to repair and even modify at no charge. Ive bought 4 ula packs. Not a small benefit when just the return shipping is $18 and they cover that too.

If I had a Hammock Gear "Wide" I would use the Cascade Designs accessory snaps on the underside of a NeoAir, for no gaps. I might make that a Winter, or, "shoulder season" set up.

It is a consideration.

I have never had better, than my Hammock Gear Burrow 20.

I have had Brooks Range 900-fill "elephant foot". I have had MontBell Super Spiral 800. I have had Sierra Designs 300 "Perfect".

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Buy it directly from ula, your name is in database and they go out of way to repair and even modify at no charge. Ive bought 4 ula packs. Not a small benefit when just the return shipping is $18 and they cover that too.
    I think that's what I'm going to do. It seems ULA is a top notch company with great customer service and that's very important to me. I'll even spend more just knowing I'm dealing with good people. I ended up selling my old pack for 2 benjamins so I'm pretty much trading it straight up for a brand new ULA Ohm 2.0.

First things first though... Gotta dye it black. That color is horrendous to my eyes.

Going to remove the wallet pocket, hand loops, water bottle holders, and hydration bladder pouch.

Hoping the pack weighs around 27oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    If I had a Hammock Gear "Wide" I would use the Cascade Designs accessory snaps on the underside of a NeoAir, for no gaps. I might make that a Winter, or, "shoulder season" set up.

It is a consideration.

I have never had better, than my Hammock Gear Burrow 20.

I have had Brooks Range 900-fill "elephant foot". I have had MontBell Super Spiral 800. I have had Sierra Designs 300 "Perfect".
    Well you just might see a lightly used HG wide Burrow in the for sale section soon! PM me if your interested in buying mine.

Listing, no way! PM, on the way.

"First things first though... Gotta dye it black. That color is horrendous to my eyes."

ULA should consider making black. They have Robic. How about black?
    Last edited by Connie; 12-12-2014 at 18:22.

Listing, no way! PM, on the way.

"First things first though... Gotta dye it black. That color is horrendous to my eyes."

ULA should consider making black. They have Robic. How about black?
    I'm all about functionality over aesthetics. But if I'm gonna be humping a pack that I think is butt ugly for 2000 miles, the though will always be in the back of my mind.
    I'd love it if offered more colors. I'm assuming they just stick with the green and blue so people recognize them instantly.

Journal Entries

I'm all about functionality over aesthetics. But if I'm gonna be humping a pack that I think is butt ugly for 2000 miles, the though will always be in the back of my mind.
    I'd love it if offered more colors. I'm assuming they just stick with the green and blue so people recognize them instantly.
    They did some special colors a few years ago, red was one. The material was a couple oz heavier

Call chris and inquire, if there is any material around, they would probably do one in any color they have a bit of.. There just may not be enough to advertise them. The colored fabrics were different than standard .

ULA does custom work on packs if you request things not standard. Call them and ask. About the only thing they wont do is tinker with the pack panel templates, ie design you a one-off totally custom pack. Not economical.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-14-2014 at 00:09.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    They did some special colors a few years ago, red was one. The material was a couple oz heavier

Call chris and inquire, if there is any material around, they would probably do one in any color they have a bit of.. There just may not be enough to advertise them. The colored fabrics were different than standard .

ULA does custom work on packs if you request things not standard. Call them and ask. About the only thing they wont do is tinker with the pack panel templates, ie design you a one-off totally custom pack. Not economical.
    I will shoot them an email. However I'd rather dye the pack for cheap than pay a lot to have a custom pack made. Depends on the quote. I'll keep you posted

Talked to Chris at ULA and he'll make me an all black pack out of the same robic material for an extra 25 beans. Worth it to me seeming it'll cost me ten bucks it RIT dye, gas to go get it, and some time and energy all while being worried about my washing machine the whole time.

So I'm about to place my order for my ULA OHM 2.0 ... unless I change my mind and go the circuit.. decisions decisions

Also, my Caldera Cone Ti-Tri Sidewinder is in the mail.. pretty pumped for this stove system. I'm gonna use wood burning (I got the inferno option) and alcohol setup the most.

I don't think I am happy to hear ULA will do black robic. Now, I want a ULA.

I think the Sidewinder is excellent.

What cooking pot did you select?

Will everything pack up inside the cooking pot?

I don't think I am happy to hear ULA will do black robic. Now, I want a ULA.

I think the Sidewinder is excellent.

What cooking pot did you select?

Will everything pack up inside the cooking pot?
    I order the ti-tri sidewinder, inferno & floor, and starlyte stove to work in conjuction with my evernew 1.3L pot.

Everything fits inside the pot including the two titanium stakes needed for wood burning mode.

I have a cuben stuff sack for the pot. I also have a small 4oz alcohol container for my heet or denatured alcohol. Don't really plan on using esbit too much.

I like the fact I can bring some alcohol and do what I want. cook over wood, or use alcohol. and both systems are very efficient. I have a feeling on my short trips I'll be doing alot of wood cooking for dinner and alcohol cooking for coffee/oatmeal in the am.

And now after over analyzing it way too much, I'm leaning more towards picking up a ULA Circuit over the OHM 2.0...

Why you ask? Well...

I have a feeling the Circuit is going to be more versatile for me than just owning one Ultralight pack (OHM 2.0). Mainly because it can comfortably carry a bear canister or 4 season equipment while still being very lightweight.

Now I do have plans to hike the JMT sometime in the next few years, and I do go hiking in the winter every so often. So right there is reason for me to have a pack that can handle a bear canister. And I don't want to look to far into the future, but if I ever decide to hike the PCT, well, I would have the ideal pack for it.

Mainly what tipped me onto this was the article on ULA's website on "which pack is right for you"

Now here's whats keeping me from charging the card at this very moment.

ULA list the medium/medium circuit at 41oz. I would remove the hydration sleeve, stash pocket, water bottle hoslters, & handloops (together ULA says they weigh 4.1oz). ULA doesn't list how much the shock cord weighs, but I could probably ditch that too.

So the circuit would tip the scales at 36.9oz. I could remove the aluminum stay (2oz) and the pack would weigh 34.9oz.

Now I'm hoping ULA was a little generous with these weights and the pack would be lighter than what is listed online. Some reported their medium/mediums at 39oz. I know.. its only two ounces. But I'm an ounce counter, not a gram weenie.

So leaving the aluminum stay in (36.9oz) I have a lightweight pack capable of carrying bear canister, or a 6 pack out of town. I get what looks like a more comfortable back pad than on the Ohm 2.0, more support, greater durability, and a little more room (Which I don't really need).

I also get a little more versatility with how strict I am of what I put in my pack. I still plan on having an 11-12lb base weight for 3 season on the east coast. That's taking into consideration the weight of the Circuit.

I feel like the Ohm 2.0 will really always have me analyzing every little thing I put in my bag. Which I know, is the basis of ultralight backpacking.

I'm upgrading my pack from a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 which weighed 48oz. So I would be saving a little more than 10oz going to the circuit.

Now I have concluded that if I got an Ohm 2.0 I would save about another 10oz (substantial to me) but at the cost of what?

I prefer the mesh on the back of the circuit and the draw cord closure of the ohm 2.0..I've also read most people like the side pockets on the ohm better, but I'm indifferent at this point in time.

So...if any of that made sense. My conclusion is I should probably buy the Circuit so that I have greater versatility and a pack that can carry a bear canister if the need arises. Furthermore, it may just be LIGHT ENOUGH for my liking. Cause the pack is well, pretty damn light.

How would you justify the 10oz difference in these two packs?

If I do feel the need to go lighter before my AT thru.. well I'll probably step into the realm of cuben.

Going lighter is always a compromise. We really do have TOO many options.

I think about gear purchases much in the same way you do so I can relate to a lot of that. I want something that works great for what I do most, but also works for things I don't do as much, as well as for things I may want to do. The only thing I would like to share is I almost always end up much happier when I buy things that do their main job the best. I've found I end up happier when I make gear compromises for the things I don't do very often rather than a constant gear compromise for the things I'm always doing.

I actually just got back from a little winter trip in where I don't have a light weight high liter pack. I have my 50 liter which I use for all of my 3 season hiking, and a 90 liter and heavy military pack I was given by a military buddy of mine. I'm not currently interested in buying a light weight larger pack because I only winter hike 2-3 times a year. So I usually either bring the big one or make the smaller one work if I don't want to carry the weight. This time I took the 50 liter and paid more attention to my packing, filled the top lid and outer mesh pockets more than usual and I was just fine. I find I usually eventually get annoyed with the daily compromise when going the other direction and end up buying something else anyway.

Journal Entries

The compression cord is 0.63 oz.

The al stay is worth its weight. Truly. Once you play with it you will understand. It brings a lot to the pack.

If you care, the foam in the backpanel is 2.3 oz. And it is worth its weight as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-16-2014 at 23:00.

Images

And now after over analyzing it way too much, I'm leaning more towards picking up a ULA Circuit over the OHM 2.0...
    I hear ya, and it sounds like you're still not really certain.... again, buy both, check 'em both out and return one.

BTW: I carried a bear canister in my OHM for a 3-day trip, not really enough to thoroughly test it out, but it does work. I plan on repeating the JMT in a year or two and will be using the OHM, unless I spring for a new Circuit! Yeah, that's real helpful... I also use it (the OHM) in the deep Colorado high country winter for short 2-3 day trips and it holds all I need. The Circuit is not any bigger, just a tad more supportive. Yeah, 10 ounces is a lot, but might be worth it to your needs.

FWIW: My OHM 2.0 weighs somewhere between 27 and 28 ounces. My fish-hook scale only reads to the nearest ounce, and it bounces back and forth between 27 and 28. I've tried to balance it on my smaller, much more accurate scale, maybe I'll try again tomorrow. It's a large torso, small hip belt, and I removed all the fluff that I never use (the little mesh pockets and hydration thing). I kept the side straps, but removed one of the shoulder straps' little yellow shock cords (kept the other side).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++