WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChefATLTCT View Post
    semicolon said "AT does not run thru colorado, so keep spliffs in your tent"

It does run thru CT and MA which have both decriminalized marijuana possession up to one ounce. VT gov wants to fully legalize. And in 2016 in MA we will vote to fully legalize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    And BSP isn't located in any of those.
    1. Decriminalization does not equal legalization.
    2. Maine does have a medical marijuana law. Maybe some of those hikers were in pain. A lot of times they are crying.

Anyway though, let's not get into a debate about legalization. That's a political topic.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    1. Decriminalization does not equal legalization.
    2. Maine does have a medical marijuana law. Maybe some of those hikers were in pain. A lot of times they are crying.

Anyway though, let's not get into a debate about legalization. That's a political topic.
    Forget the politics......Thread is about BSP...... doesn't pay to be subtle.

If you are one of the people repeatedly fighting or arguing in this thread, than you are part of the problem. BSP rules and regulations are very much spelled out for you. There are brochures about the rules/regulations available in hostels as far south as MA to help you plan and prepare. BSP is a very special and remote place, and you should follow the rules, no exceptions. I'm all for increased ticketing. Go ahead and justify your argument for drinking, stealth camping, not paying, etc....all you want, but at the end of the day, you are still breaking the rules. Just after crossing Abol bridge and getting back into the woods, there is a sign-up dry-erase board (also with the weather forecast) at the kiosk for The Birches....so hikers are able to plan and prepare....and camp at Abol if the Birches is full. Think of all the planning one does for their wedding. Finishing an AT hike, whether a thru or in sections, is a major life event, and should be treated as so.....and the majority of hikers do just that. BSP is going out of their way to assist backpackers. The least the backpackers should do is meet these expectations, and expect consequences if they do not or choose not to meet them.

I wonder how many large groups are not thru-hikers, but people who 'do the 100-mile wilderness'? Last summer, I completed my section hike of the AT. While atop of Mt. K, a group of at least 25 hikers monopolized the summit for over 30 minutes. A ranger was at the summit to greet them because they were part of a group of Maine military veterans that were hiking the wilderness and Mt. K. Next to the sign, there were speeches by multiple people and many photos. Myself and others froze up there in 50 degree weather and 30 mph winds (and got very annoyed) just to wait our turns with the sign/to contemplate. Whether it is veterans or camp kids or Maine-ers or thru-hikers, no one has the right to monopolize the summit sign for that long....and people with authority need to address it. You can't justify it because of your membership to that particular group.

Regarding sheer numbers of law-abiding hikers each year, that IS concerning. The hostel in Millinocket is wonderful, but unfortunately, that is at least an hour-long drive from Katahdin Streams Campground....so frequent shuttles from there are not feasible. My belief is that the ATC should open up a seasonal field office just outside of the park boundary. It would look like the places you drive by (and pay a fee) on Katahdin Iron Works Road or Jo Mary Road. Backpackers could tent on the property for the same fee that they would've paid to tent at the Birches. Included in that fee is a shuttle service, which could be offered only twice a day, at 6am and 5pm. This would help with an overflow of hikers, decrease park over-use, and make things easier for all agencies to be happy. If the ATC doesn't do this, than it might be a good business opportunity for a local....because at the end of the day, most long-distance hikers just want to get from point A to point B in the most efficient manner.

Regarding roads in BSP, I think some of the people posting don't realize how remote and special the park is (with exception to the AT within the park getting frequent traffic). It takes work/time to get to the park, and once in the park, it is absolutely peaceful and gorgeous. I think that what BSP currently offers (narrow gravel road and lack of amenities) is perfect the way it is. Although obesity is a national problem, I take issue to those that in this thread have advocated for BSP to have less amenities. Last summer, my Mom and Uncle accompanied me on my last leg of the hike. My Uncle backpacked with me in the 100 mile wilderness, and my Mom day-hiked in BSP while she waited for us. What many people don't realize is that lack of self-propelled remote outdoor experience is also a national problem. Those day-hikes were a big deal for my Mom....an accomplishment for a 66 year old from a major metropolitan area, who rarely hiked...and had never experienced that kind of peace in the outdoors. Those types of outdoors experiences and moments of solitude and nature appreciation are what a majority of people enjoy, and need in their lives.

Sorry it's a bit long, but after reading so many posts in this thread, I had to post my thoughts!

that sign needs to come down. a simple plaque in the ground will suffice.

big thumbs up to Crabapple's post (#323)!

+1 to Crabapple's post

that must be why GATC never put a big sign up on Springer

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that sign needs to come down. a simple plaque in the ground will suffice.

+1 Crabapple............. thanks for taking the time

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    that must be why GATC never put a big sign up on Springer
    back in the 80s there was a 4x8 sign plus a mailbox with a register in it

back in the 80s there was a 4x8 sign plus a mailbox with a register in it
    firewood???

huh?...............

Crabapple I agree with you that the ATC should build a bigger better shelter/camp either inside or outside the park. To me that is what BSP is trying to say is its time to do something and they don't want to take any money out of their budget to do it. The ATC is just going to have to take a little money out of their $20 million a year land buying budget to make some repairs to the northern & southern end of the trail. Actually maybe it's time that the ATC gets out of the land buying business altogether and comes back to overseeing just the Appalachian Trail.

I could never see the residents of Maine allowing the park to remove the AT from Mount Katahdin. It was the residents that demand that the auto road be opened up for snowmobile use. I think it's safe to say that nearly every resident of Maine has a sled in there shed. I've seen guys argue for hours over what is the best sled or the best chainsaw. They have the same amount of miles of sled trails as they do roads. Hiking camping fishing hunting lobstering and snowmobiling is the only thing that Maine has left now that the timber industry is pretty much gone.

I am happy to see that everybody is committed to preserving the thru hiker way of life. I should also say that it's hard for me to say no alcohol at all while hiking. One of my favorite things to do is hike up a mountain to a beautiful view with a few beers and a block of seriously sharp cheddar cheese. I do keep it private though and when I get down off the mountain my buzz is gone and I am able to drive home safely. To me life doesn't get any better than that. Well maybe if I could hike with Reese Witherspoon. That would be better

huh?...............
    was it used for firewood? rhetorical.

I really don't get all the issues with a sign and monopolizing it, a simple excuse me, I'd like to take a picture seems to work in the rest of the world, ceremony or not.

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    Crabapple I agree with you that the ATC should build a bigger better shelter/camp either inside or outside the park.
    There's two reasonably priced campgrounds at Abol bridge and probably adequate free camping south on the trail, as well as reservation sites in BSP. It's getting hikers to use them rather than camp illegally (for free) in BSP on the trail or at the Birches.

rocketsocks, the sign is an artificial choking point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    There's two reasonably priced campgrounds at Abol bridge and probably adequate free camping south on the trail, as well as reservation sites in BSP. It's getting hikers to use them rather than camp illegally (for free) in BSP on the trail or at the Birches.

rocketsocks, the sign is an artificial choking point.
    ah...thanks Sly. Another classic case of "I've never been there"

I guess that my answer would be to require a free permit to enter the park on the AT. Part of the permitting process would be an agreement to follow the rules of the park. At that point the park would control access to the AT within the park. What this means is that bad behavior would result in the closing of the access point. So, for example, a group goes up and parties on the summit (ruining the experience for hundreds of other people), then the next group waits five days for access. This is the only way that "self-policing" works, because in any group there are irresponsible people that will ruin it for everyone else. This plan puts the responsibility for the group ON THE GROUP ITSELF. I think the park should run a daily shuttle every day at sunset out of the park for permit holders, and that should be their only way of leaving the park. That takes care of the traffic issue.

Anyway, don't worry. The AT is a fad right now, and it too shall pass.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    I could never see the residents of Maine allowing the park to remove the AT from Mount Katahdin.
    Did anyone else notice the potential solutions laid out by the superintendent included three different options?

1. Permits
    2. Change the AT terminus.

and,

3. Significant relocation of the AT within the park

My guess is that the superintendent has thought through each of these carefully. The fact that he included the third one is most interesting.
    Last edited by rickb; 12-22-2014 at 04:32.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Did anyone else notice the potential solutions laid out by the superintendent included three different options?

1. Permits
    2. Change the AT terminus.

and,

3. Significant relocation of the AT within the park

My guess is that the superintendent has thought through each of these carefully. The fact that he included the third one is most interesting.
    Aye, last paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    The AT is a fad right now, and it too shall pass.
    right now? it has been for a long time. gonna get worse

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++