WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I-40 to Springer

Hey all, new to WhiteBlaze so I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I need a shuttle from I-40 to Springer and I'm not 100% sure what the best solution would be. We will be starting in the first or second week of March. I know it's early but I'm trying to plan some things early.

This is my first section hike of the AT and we want to hike from springer back to the North side of the smokies and the logistics as far as mail drops, resupply, laundry and shuttles is a bit overwhelming as I normally only do 5 day trips. Thanks guys!

Images

Your best option using two cars, as that's a long shuttle ride.......

like 4 or more hours one way...

it it will be tough to find someone to do it for that distance...

however, I could be convinced to do it for the right price....

Ending your hike at Hot Springs, NC or Erwin, TN would give you a lot more options. I-40 is pretty much Standing Bear, which is great for resupply and a shower, but was my most expensive shuttle per mile on the trail.

Also, with a single car, consider leaving your car in or near the Smokies (Clingmans (if open) or Newfound Gap), hike to I-40 (or Hot Springs/Erwin) for a warmup hike, then shuttle back to Georgia and hike back to your car. IF you don't have weather issues, north of Newfound Gap would be a very pleasant place to start a section hike.

You might want to check with Miss Janet (trail angel extrordinaire), she helped me a lot on difficult logistics on my section hike.

Good luck and have fun!
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Images

Given my past experience with this sort of hike, I would drive to Georgia, park at The Hiker Hostel, get their shuttle to the start, and start hiking north. Then, whenever I was ready to get off the trail, work out my shuttle at that time and place. There are several reasons for this:

1. You might need to get off early. This will cost you a second shuttle back to your car, which can get expensive. (Ask me how I know this. Er, twice. )

2. For me, it prevents that "gotta make miles" feeling and lets me take the hike on its own terms. If I have to be at a certain point on a certain day, it makes feel like I have to rush.

Getting even a long shuttle on fairly short notice isn't really that difficult, especially if you've talked with some shuttle providers ahead of time. The Hiker Hostel folks are terrific, and if you get far enough north, the folks at The Hike Inn near Fontana are also great. The drives are not that long -- what took you two weeks to hike can be driven in 3-4 hours
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

U r in2 a "just do it situation". From Erwin it's easy to road walk up to the nearest greyhound stop. (2 hrs.) or
    continue hiking 11 more days to Damascus where the experts will help u.

I've been shuttled to the air port from both Hot Springs and Erwin. Hot Springs was the owner of the
    outfitters and Erwin was an employee at Johnny's .

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Given my past experience with this sort of hike, I would drive to Georgia, park at The Hiker Hostel, get their shuttle to the start, and start hiking north. Then, whenever I was ready to get off the trail, work out my shuttle at that time and place. There are several reasons for this:

1. You might need to get off early. This will cost you a second shuttle back to your car, which can get expensive. (Ask me how I know this. Er, twice. )

2. For me, it prevents that "gotta make miles" feeling and lets me take the hike on its own terms. If I have to be at a certain point on a certain day, it makes feel like I have to rush.

Getting even a long shuttle on fairly short notice isn't really that difficult, especially if you've talked with some shuttle providers ahead of time. The Hiker Hostel folks are terrific, and if you get far enough north, the folks at The Hike Inn near Fontana are also great. The drives are not that long -- what took you two weeks to hike can be driven in 3-4 hours

Thanks so much everyone!!! I really like this idea Bigcranky, I never even thought of that and especially for those reasons. You guys rock!

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Curtis at Standing Bear shuttled me to Asheville Greyhound Station for $60. Greyhound to Gainesville, GA is $50. The Hiker Hostel shuttle rate from Gainesville is $40. SO that's $150 total.

Journal Entries

Id do that a different way.

Id park my car at fontana dam, with my smokies resupply in it. And get shuttled to springer by Jeff at the hike inn @fontana.

This way have a car to go into fontana village to eat when get there., and also have resupply waiting in it. If you dont like the crowded scene at the fontana shelter, go down road to hike inn or tuskeegee inn and get a bed for the night. You will be popular with the thruhikers with a car there.

When get to Standing bear, get Curtis to shuttle you back to Fontana.

If you do bail out, your car is more central and easier to get to as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-16-2014 at 02:28.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Id do that a different way.

Id park my car at fontana dam, with my smokies resupply in it. And get shuttled to springer by Jeff at the hike inn @fontana.

This way have a car to go into fontana village to eat when get there., and also have resupply waiting in it. If you dont like the crowded scene at the fontana shelter, go down road to hike inn or tuskeegee inn and get a bed for the night. You will be popular with the thruhikers with a car there.

When get to Standing bear, get Curtis to shuttle you back to Fontana.

If you do bail out, your car is more central and easier to get to as well.

I really like that idea thanks! I do like the idea of having a car there for a resupply and such. I talked to Jeff at The Hike Inn and he was awesome. Who is this Curtis fellow you speak of to shuttle me from standing bear to Fontana? The owner of Standing Bear Hostel?

Journal Entries

Yes, Curtis Owen is the owner of Standing Bear. He is one here sometimes, CurtisVOwen I think.

I second Muddy Waters' idea. That is very simialr to what I did when I sectioned.

++ New Posts ++