WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Baxterbear,
    Typically you have more negative replies than positive so I will counter with this thought
    from the 1989 movie 'Field of Dreams'

If you build it, they will come.

Good Luck and best wishes,
    bb
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

Mt Oglethorpe, and Springer, are at the Southern end of the Appalachian Mountain chain.

Benton Mackaye's map proposal shows the alternate Georgia start at Stone Mountain. Stone Mountain Georgia is an isolated granite monolith, not a part of the Appalachian Mountains.
    The Alabama section is on the sandstone plateaus, The Cumberland Plateau, including Lookout Mountain, etc. Also not part of the geographic Appalachians.
    The Pinhoti has it's own attractions. Be your own Bryson and write a book?
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by marti038 View Post
    The Pinhoti would probably benefit more from a generous donation to buy land than hostels, especially in Georgia, but it is your money/retirement.

What are these issues you speak of and how on earth would they impact the Pinhoti?

Good luck with your plans. I'd suggest hiking the Pinhoti before getting too far along.
    i second that. A due diligence trip or trips is probably advised. Not cheering against your project at all but I'm definitely not for shifting the over impacted area from springer to somewhere on the AL Pinhoti.

Default i know stuff...

I am not at a location from which I can access my notes but this is one of those rare occassions where I can add to a thread.

I have thru-ed the APT in '08, AL-ME; '09, '10 and just now completed the APT & GPT.

There is a hostel-start-up located about ten miles from Flagg Mt. It is marked on my map, lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti.

I cant provide the exact location (today) but there is an old house for sale right on the trail (below Helfin an unknown distance) that was once owned by the math-wizzard (dont know why he is no longer there).

There is a bit of a campground at APT mile 152 which is also mile post 7 of the Chief Ladigo Bike trail between Piedmont (mile post 12) and the Al/Ga border (the Silver Comet Bike trail starts at the border and goes to Smyrna Ga). That campgroung may also be either kayak-able or innertube-able too. I do not know if that campground is a hobby or an actual concern - no one around when I stopped by.

There are 7 shelters above Helfin, not much of an oppertunity there, but there is an opertunity where the APT crosses Hwy 78 because its 3+ miles into Heflin and there's private land at unknown 'village' a few miles south of I20. My map needs a fix in that area - no PO and the convience store is open.

To the nay-sayers; the APT and the first 30 miles of the GPT are also a part of the GET - a developing trail with its roots in the recognition that the AT has become a busy footpath with many drunken & unemployed young people.

The GPT should be renamed the GMBR, Ga mtn bike rte, because most of the 150 miles is better suited for biking. Many of the FSR's are hard packed gravel covered roads. And as there are few town stops AND bikers 1) have money & 2) dont carry tents/gear, there is likely more $$$$'s there. Currently bikers are mostly locals doing local sections. There is one $80/night 'resort' that gets out-of-towners, Mullberry Gap.

The GPT does have a bike race or two each year and there are horseback riders too, that might be a draw. I am wondering what it would take to thru on a horse (or bike).

The Pinhoti will never be an optional segment to the AT but I believe it is already a part of the IAT.

As noted before, sadly few people thru the APT. I met one hiker this year, a SB thru. Usually I will meet a couple of dayhiker; 6 this year.

I will try to get the location if the math-wizzards house to you this week.

Quote Originally Posted by golfjhm View Post
    i second that. A due diligence trip or trips is probably advised. Not cheering against your project at all but I'm definitely not for shifting the over impacted area from springer to somewhere on the AL Pinhoti.
    For years I thought that this is what we wanted and needed. Now with all the trouble I'm reading about on the other threads I'm feeling somewhat reserved about the idea and second guessing "wants and needs".
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Default Ga border to Cave Spring

Rick Moon has been busy in that area. The footpath goes from the border, by the new Spring Branch Shelter, and to 100. The 'trail' is flagged and Rick has completed a good part between 100 and Santa Clause. There is a combo of trail and FSR to Old Cave Spring Road which leaves about 3 miles of roadwalk to CS. There is a plan to re-route the combo described above to a more pure footpath but that re-route will still start and end at or near the current tie-ends. My map kinda shows the current and the planned paths - the waypoints are good although the footpath wonders. The roadwalk between CS and the Highpoint TH has changed - longer but off 100 and sets up a hiker up for three ten-mile sections with legal camping... $18-ish at the Lock & Dam Park (showers, camp store, ekectric, laundry, etc)

Fyi, the new Section 28 has a you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me climb (heading NB) that I could not believe. It is about 2 miles long and I doubt a horse or bike rider could do it SB.

If you would like to garner some OJT with a hostel, I have an opportunity in the VA Highlands that would be very economical and profitable.

As a MTBer and hiker I would say the Georgia section of the Pinhoti might be a better starting point. Lots of mountain bikers go ride the Pinhoti year round and they usually are only looking for a place to say the weekend and are OK with spending money on places to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by brewyet View Post
    As a MTBer and hiker I would say the Georgia section of the Pinhoti might be a better starting point. Lots of mountain bikers go ride the Pinhoti year round and they usually are only looking for a place to say the weekend and are OK with spending money on places to stay.
    If and only if, the Pinhoti is attached to the end of the AT, MTBer's will be kicked off the footpath.

Thank you Blisterbob. I have lived by the motto that the more negativity I get regarding a proposal the more I look into it as it probably will turn out well.

I am blessed by god to have the advantage of not worrying about turning a profit on these hostels or relying on them for my income.

Quote Originally Posted by BaxterBear View Post
    Thank you Blisterbob. I have lived by the motto that the more negativity I get regarding a proposal the more I look into it as it probably will turn out well.

I am blessed by god to have the advantage of not worrying about turning a profit on these hostels or relying on them for my income.
    Might need to move over to the wealth and prosperity thread with another mention.

Quote Originally Posted by BaxterBear View Post

I get the impression that many hostels are run not purely for economic reasons. Nothing wrong with that.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Mountains to Sea Trail has about the same traffic flow. However, many people have dawned the name hostel along the Parkway sections since there is also motorcycle/biking crowds. Still a few areas need hostels or shuttlers. The Piedmont and Coast are starting show some interest by locals in becoming trail angels for MST hikers.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I agree, but it confuses some people.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by golfjhm View Post
    The chances of ATC adding several hundred miles to the AT are slim/none.
    I am not commenting on the chances of this in particular.

But there is one absolute, that nothing stays the same forever. Change, is inevitable, and constant.

Slow at times, and rapid at others.

Anyone that thinks otherwise is foolish.

I wouldnt bet the trail will be substantially different 1 year from now.
    I would bet it will be 100 years from now.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-20-2014 at 23:46.

Quote Originally Posted by gubbool View Post

I cant provide the exact location (today) but there is an old house for sale right on the trail (below Helfin an unknown distance) that was once owned by the math-wizzard (dont know why he is no longer there).
    these coords are near the old house. N33.32827 W85.99149

This appears to be the same site as mentioned by Blister Bob. It is mile 55-ish on my map.

I think it will take an act of Congress to extend the AT. The National Scenic Trail Act states that the AT will run from Katahdin to Springer Mt. If that is the case, I wouldn't hold my breath since it seems like Congress cannot not get anything done.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by gubbool View Post
    these coords are near the old house. N33.32827 W85.99149

This appears to be the same site as mentioned by Blister Bob. It is mile 55-ish on my map.
    We hiked from Porters to Adams Gap yesturday through heavy fog. The property at 600 Skyline appears to be vacant and still for sale. Below are a few pics I snapped as we passed through.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I think it will take an act of Congress to extend the AT. The National Scenic Trail Act states that the AT will run from Katahdin to Springer Mt. If that is the case, I wouldn't hold my breath since it seems like Congress cannot not get anything done.
    CONNECTING AND SIDE TRAILS
    SEC. 6. [16USC1245] Connecting or side trails within park, forest, and other recreation areas administered by the Secretary of the Interior or Secretary of Agriculture may be established, designated, and marked by the appropriate Secretary as components of a national recreation, national scenic or national historic trail.

It apparently does not take an act of congress to say that a connecting trail is part of the AT. The secretary in charge of the AT has the power to say that it is part of it. As long a the lands involved fall under federal juridiction.

and:

(b) After publication of notice of the availability of appropriate maps or descriptions in the Federal Register, the Secretary charged with the administration of a national scenic or national historic trail may relocate segments of a national scenic or national historic trail right-of-way with the concurrence of the head of the Federal agency having jurisdiction over the lands involved, upon a determination that: (I) Such a relocation is necessary to preserve the purposes for which the trail was established, or (ii) the relocation is necessary to promote a sound land management program in accordance with established multiple-use principles: Provided, That a substantial relocation of the rights-of-way for such trail shall be by Act of Congress.

Weasel words, but no relocation of the right of way would be undertaken, so I see that the secretary that oversees the AT has the authority to amend it. No act of congress needed. Whether or not congress would be needed would depend on the definition of substantial. This is why minor reroutes are possible. I think we have a congress as well that has proven to not care a hoot about the rule of law anyway anymore.

I dont see anything specifically relating to the moving terminus by adding to the trail. While the trails act specifies Springer to Katahdin, it also specifies some items that never came to be. IE its not perfect. Fpr instance the Natchez Trace Scenic Trail became a parkway, a paved road with only abut 60 miles of disjointed original trail, out of ~600, never to be connected.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-22-2014 at 12:10.

http://www.coosahikerhostel.weebly.com This is a new hostel that is being started in Rockford, Alabama.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++