WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Post The end of "HYOH"

Let's discuss the term Hike Your Own Hike. Or HYOH.

With the problems the AT is facing and the recent outreaches to the AT community from the ATC and Baxter State Park, do you feel it's time to think about re-thinking the wisdom of 'HYOH'?

It's often used as a justification to deflect criticism based how one is acting in the woods. I personally have seen it used multiple times during my thru-hike by someone who was clearly misbehaving ( throwing trash in firepit, setting tent up in shelter refusing to take it down, littering, etc ) as then simply saying "HYOH" as that explains everything away. It was basically being used as a different term for "**** off".

Perhaps if everyone began to call people on behavior and reporting it heavily and authorities actually cared across the board, we might not have to worry about imminent changes to policy that are coming, permits, regulations, quotas, slots, etc.

Something has always bothered me about the spirit behind HYOH. The 'free spirit' manta seems to be in direct conflict with the future of the AT and sustainability.

Opinions, thoughts, all welcome!

I always thought "hike your own hike" was said in reference to the pace one does, or the gear one brings, or whether one blue blazes or not. Hike your own hike definitely does't (ok, it should NOT) mean it's ok to break rules or disrespect regulated wilderness areas.

Images

ahhhhhhh............

hike your own hike...............

:P

I've heard it used more as "you are doing things wrong but HYOH." Could apply to gear, resupply choices, blue blazing,etc. I find saying or hearing HYOH to be irritating.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

HYOH has nothing to do with accepting or condoning bad behavior, and everythinng to do with MYOB with regards to the gear that one chooses to carry and the manner one chooses to hike. I see no need to re-examine my thoughts and opinions of HYOH because of the misbehaving of others.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I often see HYOH being bantered about to condone crappy decisions and bad behavior. It's also used to stop anymore conversations on touchy subjects, like booze hounds on the trail, dope smoking, going Ultralight-ultrastupid, the addiction to trail shelters etc.

As BaxterBear says, it is often used to explain everything away.

And to go a further step, there are people who spout the HYOH mantra and if you disagree with something they say they upgrade the HYOH mantra to HMHDI---Hike My Hike, Damn It! and used in a sarcastic way for those of us who disagree with the HYOH mantra.

The weird and wonderful and convoluted world of Backpacking.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

You, as in the entire backpacking community, all need to get out more.

I include myself in that statement.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

It should be HYOH until your hike starts to interfear with someone elses' hike. Show some respect for other hikers, even if you don't have any respect for yourself.

I am not opposed to someone who is responsible, having a nip and a cigar or possibly smoke some weed. As long as it is done in the privacy of ones area away from others and without the smell invading others on trail. I don't condone ones bad behavior or the disrespect of others or state, federal regulation or contribute it to HYOH.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

You're right, just waiting for Christmas with the family to pass.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You're right, just waiting for Christmas with the family to pass.

im waiting for this thing called work to pass................

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Especially you...

... You write much better trip reports (and take better photos) than I do...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I always thought "hike your own hike" was said in reference to the pace one does, or the gear one brings, or whether one blue blazes or not. Hike your own hike definitely does't (ok, it should NOT) mean it's ok to break rules or disrespect regulated wilderness areas.

This......
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    im waiting for this thing called work to pass................

TNhiker---Play this vid 15 times, go out tonight and sleep in the cold. Get back in touch with me tomorrow.

Images

oh trust me-----i dont want a job.....

but, i gots these things called bills and the cost of keeping alive......

i really didnt want a job after college but with the death of jerry garcia----things did change.....no more touring lifestyle (to a certain degree) for me......

i do tell all the intern kiddies at my work not to get a job after college...........at least for a few years....

thats the only time in their lives where they will be more or less completely free of obligation.........

jerry who?

I tell people to pretend that they earn 50% of what they really earn and save the rest. After about 20 years of doing that, there will be enough money to hike as many trails as desired and work as much or as little as desired - both due to accumulated savings and a low cost lifestyle.

This guy does a great job of advocating for this kind of lifestyle:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    jerry who?

garcia......

guitarist for the grateful dead..........

Or just be bum when you're young and you've got your health and work minimally and live with permission on some land in a wall tent or yurt or tipi and get your bag nights and generate no bills cuz you have no electricity and no running water and no property taxes and no house insurance. Do this until you get very old and then maybe consider gainful employment. In the meantime find a one-day-a-week job like a church janitor and pull in enough to live on $5,000 a year and be happy. Buy food and kerosene for your lamps and the occasional bowsaw and splitting maul.

The goal of life: Find out how little money you need to still be happy, and live outdoors all the time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++