WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A Walk In The Woods Premier at The Sundance Film Festival!!!

Brace yourselves cuz ITS HAPPENING January 2015!!
    A Walk in the Woods
    / U.S.A. (Director: Ken Kwapis, Screenwriters: Rick Kerb, Bill Holderman) — An aging travel writer sets out to hike the 2,100-mile Appalachian Trail with a long-estranged high school buddy. Along the way, the duo face off with each other, nature, and an eccentric assortment of characters. Together, they learn that some roads are better left untraveled. Cast: Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, Emma Thompson, Mary Steenburgen, Nick Offerman, Kristen Schaal. World Premiere. SALT LAKE CITY GALA FILM
    http://www.sundance.org/festivals/su...-film-festival

This will be good.
    "You can shear a sheep many times, but only skin him once...."

Yep, this one I'll go see, should be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yep, this one I'll go see, should be funny.
    I'll be curious how this translates from book to screen.

Should be a very interesting to see the film, I only liked the book to some degree (especially the first part, didn't like the second part of the book, but guess what? Who cares what my opinion is on the book). Some good actors, although much older then the main characters were when Bryson wrote the book.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

The release date is August, 2015.

The link does have scheduled shows, in Utah, in January, 2015.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/1950942-1...ns?pid=2061199

Presenting Bill Bryson and Stephen Katz:

http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net...the-woods.jpeg

ATC, get those new permits and regulations in place now because this movie is going to break the AT in 2016. We will lose the northern terminus to what this movie will bring to the Rangers at Baxter.

Journal Entries
    Images

As great as Katahdin is, I am thinking an even better terminus would be in a a new National Park next door. It would be cool for both.

I am looking forward to movie, and hope that it does bring people to Trail. No matter what happens, it will endure. The ecosystem is resilient and those who are lucky enough to find it will reap great benefits.

Having enjoyed scores of hikes up Mount Monadnock (NH, not on the AT and climbed by 125,000 people a year), stayed in a 90-bunk hut on the AT, and enjoyed solitude in Baxter I have to say it's all good.

No matter what.
    Last edited by rickb; 12-17-2014 at 00:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    The release date is August, 2015.

Its showing at Sundance film festival.... http://deadline.com/2014/12/robert-r...15-1201325564/

BN-GA335_walkwo_G_20141215133036.jpgRobert Redford as Bill Bryson, Nick Nolte as Stephen Katz ( Matthew Angerer )

Occasionally lucid

I enjoyed AWITW, the book. I think it was particularly funny and provoking as I had already hiked the AT. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed or understood it so much if I had never spent significant time on the trail. Since the beginning of the rumors about AWITW, the movie, I have questioned the ability to translate the book, and the AT experience, to film. Guess we will see.

I was disappointed in "The Way". It was well done in a Hollywood road-trip manner but was sort of empty as far as the Camino's effect on the characters or as a spiritual pilgrimage. I have only read about the Camino but would like to walk it one day.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post

Yes, those are for the Sundance Film Festival

I was an extra in two scenes in the film - one at Rainbow Springs, N.C. and the second in the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine. Both scenes were very funny (and shot around Atlanta, Georgia). Nolte is great as Katz, and the production company did make an effort to include actual A.T. thru-hikers and section-hikers in the movie.

But I agree - the film will definitely impact the A.T. in 2016 and beyond. Hopefully the increased awareness will bring additional funding to the ATC.
    BirdShooter
    n2backpacking.com

If you're a fly fisher and have been one long enough you are certainly aware of the impact that "a River Runs Through It" had on the sport. (also known as "That Damn Movie" my most cantankerous old fly fishers). In a short time once uncrowded fisheries became over congested, the quality of many fisheries declined, "secret" locations were no longer secret, and on and on. I hope this movie and Wild don't have the same effect but I fear they will, not just on the AT and PCT but the backcountry in general. But one can hope.

I am trying to see if I can attend the showing of A Walk in the Woods, but the only option I see on the Sundance site is a $3,000 "Festival ticket". I want to see the movie, but not that badly. I will wait for general release.

Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, really.
    Sure they are fine actors but they carry too much of a past for me to get excited about the movie.
    Would love to see some new names as the head liners.

Guess that is the only way to get the masses excited about a topic that only a few are truly interested.

This movie release is really bad timing with all of the issues the trail is already facing. I am "calling" for a historic and massive spike in thru-hikers in 2016. They are supposedly re-issuing the book as well with a new chapter from Bryson to cash in on the movie.

I read part of the book.

I would like to see the movie.

It may not be a big "box office" movie. Robert Redford had a movie, featuring solo sailing, I wanted to see.

It never reached a movie theator near me.

Redford optioned the rights to the book Walk In The Woods a while back, so no surprise he's the lead in it.
    BirdShooter
    n2backpacking.com

There's been a lot of talk lately about the increase in the number of hikers that will result from the recent movie releases. I bet there are more than a few folks that who have decided that hiking is not for them after reading about the hiker who was killed by a bear this last September. One more incident like the one in NJ and the numbers will be going down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++