Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Two Questions on Clothing/Shoes

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on 2 questions I have:

1. I have been using the same kind of hiking shoes for the past three years and have been in love - Five-Ten Tennie's - I love everything about this shoe, specifically the sole and how it well it connects to rocks during my approaches and how comfortable it is (I had one pair that never left my feet for 2 years). I'm not sure if I should continue using this shoe as the support is not quite there for long term use and I have heard some reservations by some about wearing a full canvas shoe. I found a pair of Merrill hiking shoes (I haven't used hiking boots in years) but have really struggled to adjust to their lack of grip compared to what I'm used to during my weekend training sessions. Shoes, to me, are one of the most important pieces of gear and I'd love any thoughts.

2. I'm looking at base layer options - I've used silk in the past but I find it holds moisture after a couple days of wear (and I've never found a pair that do a good job of keeping me warm)- has anyone had success using options like Icebreakers or Smartwool midweights for their hikes? I tend to run cold so I'm trying to make sure I have everything sorted prior to my departure.

Thank you all so much!!

Google: Five Ten approach shoes

There are so many to choose from, all great. Below the ankle are okay, if your ankles are healthy, unless walking thru sharp rocks, then, over-ankle protect from bad scrapes.

I like 150 weight Icebreakers on the upper body. I wear Pearl Izumi Relaxed Fit tights for all hiking. I might wear "silkweights" under, but so far the "silkweights" are sleepwear to keep my costly "fluffy" down items clean. The "siljweights" are military issue. O have no idea where to purchase "silkweights".

Watson's Canada has 150 weight high quality merino, at a reasonable price.

I find Smartwool too "sweaty".

Icebreaker tops and bottom leggings are all I use for winter backpacking. Leggings are midweight 260 and zipneck tops are 260 and 320.

I like smartwool or even synthetic bottoms and wool top. Shoes are important to be sure and I suggest you go for a multiday trip with weight to try them out. Or just Wear what you are comfy in, change on the trail if nec. Heck I've seen people in Birkenstocks and Tevas on the AT. Your shoes just may work out. Socks are very important too. Try different combos before u leave. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the icebreaker suggestions with the numbers too - really helpful in looking at my options!

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I wear Pearl Izumi Relaxed Fit tights for all hiking.
    Also, I had never heard of Pearl Izumi - so I'm definitely looking up those - thanks for the suggestion!

I am glad someone invented the term: cross-sport.

I look at a lot of cross-sport clothing and gear.

I look at clothing for hunting or fishing. I look at workwear, for outdoor jobs. I look at cross-country skiwear, clothing for bicycling without too much safety-striped colors!

I also look at clothing for "travel" and for international "trekkers".

The internet is a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by HeronWalking View Post
    Also, I had never heard of Pearl Izumi - so I'm definitely looking up those - thanks for the suggestion!
    Pearl Izumi was very popular some 30 years ago. Nothing to get excited over.

My Pearl Izumi Tokyo Tights (relaxed fit) were still good after 15 years.

Images

I used to hike in 5-10's all the time, not the Tennies, but the Camp Four and their trail runner, the Savant. Nothing, for me personally, I have worn since compares to the grip of a pair of 5-10's with both of their proprietary rubber compounds. The Camp Four's are leather, and take forever to dry out, thus not good for distance hiking, although I did meet a thru who wore them. The Savants have more mesh and will dry a bit faster. Anyway, I have since switched to LaSportiva Wildcats and Ultra Raptors as the fit of 5-10 runs a bit narrow for me in the toe box. My current favs are the Ultra Raptors, with very, very comparable grip to 5-10's. I live and hike in New England, the Whites, Vermont and Maine, specifically, and have no problem using these shoes for day hikes (I hike at least weekly year round, but do use winter boots for winter, or for long distance.) I did an AT section from Gorham through the Bigelows last summer and had no problems with the Ultra Raptors.

I love my wool base layers - here in New England, you must layer and delayer and for me, wool is perfect. I even wear the short sleeve wool shirts all summer, too. There are lots of weights to choose from, which will also help with your layer system. Lower the number, the lighter weight fabric.

Pearl Izumi makes quite a bit of cycling gear in various weights, a sport where some of the more windproof items are important. I still have a pair of Pearl Izumi cycling tights from 20+years ago that I will wear for running or cycling where I am exposed to wind.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by HeronWalking View Post
    Thank you so much for the icebreaker suggestions with the numbers too - really helpful in looking at my options!
    Only caveat---they are expensive and tend to be a little heavy. But they are always part of my winter load.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've not had much success myself wearing merino wool for long lengths of time as it starts itching at night. But I love it for hiking.

If your shoes have worked well, then use them. I do find though over long distance hiking that if they aren't good for your foot type and terrain, eventually there could be overuse injuries.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I change into my "silkweights" for night, for hiking, to keep my sleep-system free of natural body oils.

I have no idea where "silkweights" may be purchased. I would like to know.

Mine are military-issue thin black "silkweights".

lands end has silk tops and bottoms. Called silk interlock. Very lightweight and great quality.

I think Polartec made the excellent E.C.W.C.S. military issue "silkweights".
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/161235052251

Does anyone, here, know? I recommend what I have.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-21-2014 at 14:57.

"I have been using the same kind of hiking shoes for the past three years and have been in love - Five-Ten Tennie's - I love everything about this shoe, specifically the sole and how it well it connects to rocks during my approaches and how comfortable it is (I had one pair that never left my feet for 2 years). I'm not sure if I should continue using this shoe as the support is not quite there for long term use and I have heard some reservations by some about wearing a full canvas shoe. I found a pair of Merrill hiking shoes (I haven't used hiking boots in years) but have really struggled to adjust to their lack of grip compared to what I'm used to during my weekend training sessions. Shoes, to me, are one of the most important pieces of gear and I'd love any thoughts"

IMHO, your concerns could be addressed by demoing the latest canvas version of the 5-10 Tennies. Personally, I see these shoes as a shoe exactly as Outdoor Gear Lab suggested - a single shoe model that goes from the streets in town directly to granite slabbing, cragging, alpining, rocky trail approaches, and peak bagging quite possibly working decently on rocky and dirt trail hiking too. Seems like a good pick for someone backpacking at a moderate pace on the AT through NH and ME in the early fall.

I think that one will go thru water, drain, not clog, and, dry reasonable fast.

That could be the ideal hiker shoe.

I found the "silkweights" brand.

There is mid-weight, etc. Their products use a soft and not-too drying fabric "just right".

The "discontinued" link has more selections. Maybe you can find your size?

https://www.peckhamperformancewear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I found the "silkweights" brand.

There is mid-weight, etc. Their products use a soft and not-too drying fabric "just right".

The "discontinued" link has more selections. Maybe you can find your size?

https://www.peckhamperformancewear.com
    Thank you! I'll take a look through and see what I find - I appreciate the link!!!

Heron: If you don't want to invest a lot of money trying things out for best use later, take advantage of some of the EOY sales. IB has one going on right now:

http://us.icebreaker.com/en/web-specials
    (someone else posted this in another thread here and I'm just sharing it)

Cabela's has some nice fleece too in their Bargain Cave and Rock Bottom sections. I've not bought any fleece at all yet. They even have a supposedly easily packable synthetic down jacket at reasonable prices. I'm planning on waiting on the 'jacket' layer until I do more in the stuff I've got to find out how hot I will be.

I've used the holiday sales to try different styles and brands for a lot less expense, so that I can use them actively between now and the long 19 months away hike.

And I second the recommendation for Sierra Trading Post, as I've gotten some great deals there.

Connie: I went to that Peckham site you linked (thanks!) and I have a question. Is the 'silkweight' underwear a good sleeping material? I've no idea what to sleep in, as on all of my camping trips prior I've been driving in and tenting, and I've slept in everything from my actual hiking clothes down to regular jammies with a beanie. I sleep really hot and my bag is synthetic (on its way now!) and I don't want to sweat in it.

Thanks,
    ~S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++