WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana AT Thru-Hikers' Companion 2015 is NOW AVAILABLE!

It says it's in stock on line at The Ultimate Appalachian Trail Store. I am checking with the ATC Headquarters to see if it's available there yet. Definitely tomorrow but I want my copy today!

I am with you on that one I get an AT companion every year even if I am not hiking, but most here on WB uses the AWOL guide, most hikers I have meet on the AT this year and most previous years uses the AT companion.
    The AWOL guide must be a WB thing.

I ordered one just to compare it to the 2013 AWOL guide I used on my thru-hike. I only saw a handful of hikers using the companion guide.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I ordered one just to compare it to the 2013 AWOL guide I used on my thru-hike. I only saw a handful of hikers using the companion guide.
    It wasn't until 2014 the Companion included elevation profiles. The 2015 edition has additional improvements and tweaks. One notable one is each major section south, virginia, mid-atlantic and new england all start in a fashion they can be used independently, mailed ahead, etc.

Treehugger if you're a member of ALDHA you can get the Companion in PDF for free.

Images

I downloaded mine yesterday. Looks great, Sly!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I downloaded mine yesterday. Looks great, Sly!
    Thank you!

I'm pretty sure the ATC sent copies to the field editors so you should be getting yours soon.

I am a member. I think I signed up with my [email protected] email. I can only receive email, at that email address. I cannot send email, using that email address.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I am a member. I think I signed up with my [email protected] email. I can only receive email, at that email address. I cannot send email, using that email address.
    Connie, you requested the PDF with a gmail address, that's the one I sent a link to. Do you need it to this email? Can you download a 25MB file?

I got it, now. Thank you.

Got mine! I think it rocks! Thanks Sly and the rest of the folks who put it together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Treehugger.

Someone in PM asked my why page 164 is blank (deleted in the PDF) here's my response.

It's by design, kind of. I do the updates, maps etc. and send the files to Brian K at the ATC. I also ask him to lay out the book in a certain way. The idea was to start each major section (the 1st table) on the right hand page and end it on the left. That way, from Ga-Tn, Va-WV, Md-NY and Ct-Me, each major section could be removed from the book as a whole and used independently, a book in a book so to speak. Due to content, the info through NY ended on the right, so he filled it in with a blank page. There are other sections within the major sections that fall in this way naturally which makes it handy.

If you're the type to tear out the pages, you can try adding a sticky note as a tab (beginning and end) for the section you want to use and microwave the book for 50 seconds. (I experimented with 60 seconds but could have gone less) Take it out of the microwave (caution, it will be warm to the touch) and pull out the pages you need. They'll slide right out and stay intact with the remaining glue and the perforated edges help hold it together.

Anyway, thanks for your support.

Sly

Got mine too. It's great! Tables and elevation profiles are very easy to read. I divided mine into 4 sections. I microwaved for 50 seconds like Sly mentioned above but it could have used more time. The glue wasn't quite melted so my sections didn't have a whole strip of glue on the spines. No worries, fixed with a thin layer of rubber cement. Now to find the perfect ziplop bag to keep it in...

Quote Originally Posted by gaineskj View Post
    Got mine too. It's great! Tables and elevation profiles are very easy to read. I divided mine into 4 sections. I microwaved for 50 seconds like Sly mentioned above but it could have used more time. The glue wasn't quite melted so my sections didn't have a whole strip of glue on the spines. No worries, fixed with a thin layer of rubber cement. Now to find the perfect ziplop bag to keep it in...
    Sorry about that. Maybe 60 seconds was the best time.

It will fit binding side first in a gallon size ziploc which can be folded in half, or perhaps cut and sealed or duct taped.

++ New Posts ++