WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dic but sometimes I can be perceived as being one. I have this problem with my GF too.

To extend an olive branch, when I'm raking leaves I think about them blowing back into my yard after raking for hours, all the worms and insects in the leaves, fall color, the earthy aromas of fall, all the different shapes of leaves, the start of football season and the World Series, squirrels building nests of leaves in preparation for the winter, putting them into the compost pile, a warm crackling fire and cup of hot cocoa as a reward, the crunchy sound they make when walking through them, and piling them up in huge piles so the kids and myself can frolic in the piles throwing them all around in abandon.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Sincerely, good luck ANALyzing a ratio that's all over the place so dynamic always changing in the end having little meaning unless thought of in the moment it's calculated.
    Yup, right. When I posted my reply - which I hear is pretty typical - that's where I pulled the number out of.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I didn't think to do that, so I just listed everything that is in the backpack.

Images

On the AT last year starting in April it was 22% and in the Summer it was 28%

Journal Entries
    Images

More than 50 percent for more than 5 days. Back in my drinking days closer to 60 percent.

I’m 6’2, weight 225 pounds. Over 80% of my pack weight is consumables. Properly fueling your body is key in maintaining your energy and avoid many health issues including getting cold easier or getting sick. On a long distance hike, or thru-hike, a large part of my pack weight is consumable.
    I’m sure we have all heard the rule 2 pounds of food per/day. Well let me be the first one to say that is a complete stupid rule. You need to eat enough food, drink enough water to keep your body properly fueled. If you weigh 290 plus carrying a 30 pound backpack (320 pounds in total), well you are going to need to carry more than 2 pounds of food per/day. How much really depends on your body type and what kind of shape you are in.
    On a long distance hike consider carrying a constant amount of food between town stops instead of the standard 2 pounds of food per/day. Yes it means carrying the same food weight between both the 5 days stretches as you would between 3 days. During the shorter stretches, is your chance to eat more and balance out how much weight you would be losing. On a long distance hike, it is a way to help maintain your body weight while carrying the about the same weight through-out your journey.
    Wolf

LOL I wasn't trying to incite you, just returning a volley.
    It is amazing how many "world problems" a solved while raking, mowing, vaccuming and etc. I guess everyone has their own agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dic but sometimes I can be perceived as being one. I have this problem with my GF too.

To extend an olive branch, when I'm raking leaves I think about them blowing back into my yard after raking for hours, all the worms and insects in the leaves, fall color, the earthy aromas of fall, all the different shapes of leaves, the start of football season and the World Series, squirrels building nests of leaves in preparation for the winter, putting them into the compost pile, a warm crackling fire and cup of hot cocoa as a reward, the crunchy sound they make when walking through them, and piling them up in huge piles so the kids and myself can frolic in the piles throwing them all around in abandon.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Ahh, good to see we both can lighten it up. Sometimes, we need that.

Well, considering a summer AT hike, my base weight and consumables would be equal at a four day trip allowing 2lbs of food per day. Anything under 4 days and I'm carrying more gear than food. Anything over four days and I'm carrying more food than gear.

Images

My 3 season base weight is 11lb. consumables 1.5 lb food per day 6oz fuel. total 4 days 17 lb + water

Ounces are the little-death

I never carry more than 8oz of water, but that and food account for up to 10lbs and my base is right under 6.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++