Thread: Oregon Section

Default Oregon Section

I would like to hike Oregon next August. Everyone has told me that August is the best month to hike.

Is resupplying an issue in Oregon?

have you looked into the mosquito situation in oregon in august? i could see that being pretty bad.

resupply is good. lots of small places right along trail that you can send a box to or possibly get a weak resupply out of.

In early August the PCT in Oregon still has sections where the mosquitoes are bad, but by late August they are pretty much gone. In early August there are little streams everywhere and water is not a problem. By late August most have dried up, but the sources in Halfmile's data sheets are still reliable. The mosquitoes don't bother me, so given the choice (assuming a shorter trip) I would take a headnet and go mid-month, when the wildflowers are peaking.

Images

I went through in early August in high snow year and there were more mosquitoes then any other place on the trail. There was also a good bit on snow left which would be one thing to watch. If it's a big snow year, go later in August. light snow year go early.

I did Oregon in a normal year during the 2nd half of August. I hardly saw any mosquitoes except in the Sister's Wilderness for 2 days. Southern Oregon is dry and there are a few long water carries. Towns you can go into are: Ashland (southern end of the state), Sisters (Middle of the state), and walking into Cascade Locks (at northern end of the state). In between those towns are several backcountry resorts within walking distance of trail, the store at Crater Lake NP, and Timberline Lodge. With the except of going into town, I'd mail a box to any of the resorts that you want to resupply at as their selection ranges from limited to almost non-existent.

I did a hike in the Canadian Rockies once and the mosquitoes were viscous. But they were only a problem in the evening. We put on our Gortex rain suits (which was the only thing they couldn't bite through) and head net to set up camp and cook dinner. Then it was right into the tent. I would imagine the situation is similar in Oregon and Washington. During the day the horse flies were a bitch though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++