WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Yes, which is why SODIS is an option, if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    My eyeglasses have a protective coating against the UV in natural sunlight. Isn't that light intense UV?
    Connie the steripen has a LED light on it and with that cap on it makes a great lantern. I don't know how they made it work but when it's working that little LED will flash and it will know if it's actually in water. It is separate from the UV light that sterilizes the water. Someday you should buy one and give it a try I think you'll like it I know I do. I have had bad luck with the filtering type stuff and I just can't drink toxic water. I mean really you're putting poison in the water to kill germs and bacteria what does that do to your gut. Your gut has good germs and bacteria in it to help you digest food properly. Wouldn't that poison kill them to? Does that stuff get in your blood stream and kill that stuff to?

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    Connie the steripen has a LED light on it and with that cap on it makes a great lantern. I don't know how they made it work but when it's working that little LED will flash and it will know if it's actually in water. It is separate from the UV light that sterilizes the water. Someday you should buy one and give it a try I think you'll like it I know I do. I have had bad luck with the filtering type stuff and I just can't drink toxic water. I mean really you're putting poison in the water to kill germs and bacteria what does that do to your gut. Your gut has good germs and bacteria in it to help you digest food properly. Wouldn't that poison kill them to? Does that stuff get in your blood stream and kill that stuff to?
    Funny you should ask, I asked the same question...and here's what was said.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ia-in-your-gut

Most folks in the U.S. and the rest of the civilized world are drinking "toxic" water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
    Yes, which is why SODIS is an option, if you have the time.
    How would this be accomplished on the trail?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Thanks rocketsocks that's one more reason to carry a few more ounces. I'll be happy happy carrying my steriPEN.

I just picked up two Sawyer mini-filters. One for my Platty squeeze bag and one to go in-line with a Platypus BigZip backpack hydration system.

I did not know they made a "big" version of the Sawyer filters.

Thanks for the advice on keeping them warm. I did not know freezing conditions could toast one of these things out ( or freeze ruin them).

I'm also going with Aquamira Part-A Part-B system (drops).

I learn something everyday. Thanks for the tip.

I use Sawyer. If I have found a "virus" warning, and, I cannot carry "spring water" from the grocery store, I would use Micropur in addition to the Sawyer.

Only then. Sawyer adds no "chemicals".

Micropur is not what you think. Nevertheless, I avoid contaminated water sources. I change my hiking plans.

Do NOT waste your money on a Steripen, the worst piece of backpacking equipment I have ever bought. My Steripen Adventurer Opti seemed okay for a while, though the first set of batteries did not last too long. Then, on the second set - $17 for a pair of very hard-to-find batteries, not available even at Wal-Mart, not available at Fontana Village or many other trail towns; available at some drug stores - this energy-sucking gadget failed after only four days. I trudged into Fontana dehydrated and got Aquamira drops at the general store. Steripen refused to refund my money, but Prolitegear, where I bought it, was real good about exchanging it for another piece of gear and refunding the rest of my money. Aquamira works fine for me; I tried the Sawyer Mini, which a lot of people like but I found tedious to use and maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    With all the crazy things I read on this site that hikers think is perfectly okay to do I just had to see if somebody did that. I read that you don't need a tent you don't need a first aid kit you only need a pint of water it's crazy.

I have recently gone to my doctor and said I should have something in my first aid kit. He gave me Metronidazole and Cephalexin Monohydrate but I forgot what that was for. I never go hiking without my steripen. I just don't have the patience for any other technique. Hazmat if you're still reading this I've hiked in the single digits with mine and the batteries have never given me a problem. I would also like to say that the light on it makes a great lantern for when setting up your camp at night.
    Ditto. My SteriPEN Freedom works great. Batteries are rechargeable and it has an LED light.
    Todd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++