WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Have any of you completed the "Te Araroa" in New Zealand? Or hiked in NZ?

I'm wanting to do a long hike in New Zealand, does anyone have info/experience on this trail (http://www.teararoa.org.nz/overviewhistory/) or any other long trails in New Zealand? Or some good research sites? Thanks!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Look for "Skittles" journal on trailjournals.com. He did it before it was completely finished, though. By now there should be numerous journals for it. It's on our list. Went to NZ and 2003 and desperately want to return.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Can't give much info on the trails, but the South Island was the easiest place in the world to hitchhike. Lived in Blenheim for 18 months.
    Simple is good.

Define long hike. I just spent six weeks bouncing around both islands doing the Great Walks. Easily could have spent another six weeks or more on the next tier(s) of hikes but it would have required renting or buying a car to get to some of them on a schedule.

You could spend months hiking the trail system on the south island. You can fly right into Queenstown and there are shuttle options to all the trail heads and the various trail towns. Many of the more popular trails require permits to hike them but they are available if you are flexible except for the Milford and Routeburn Tracks which are in great demand.

how did i get on this convo abt new zealand?

Journal Entries

Check Bucks30 journal on Postholer. Excellent journal plus a very good post hike advice.
    http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...&event_id=1179

Actually there is one. The maps in it are not accurate nor some of the road names,

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    You could spend months hiking the trail system on the south island. You can fly right into Queenstown and there are shuttle options to all the trail heads and the various trail towns. Many of the more popular trails require permits to hike them but they are available if you are flexible except for the Milford and Routeburn Tracks which are in great demand.
    Thanks. I am looking at the shuttle services etc.
    I am here now and have started sectioning the T. A. as it runs within 15Km of my house.

Im looking at doing it as part of my gap yr. There are a number of people who have completed, there are a lot of trail logs around now. Im sure if you were to get in touch with some of those people they would help with info about it etc

For accurate maps of the TA go to wams.org.nz. The other maps including the one you get when you google Te Araroa is not accurate nor tis the TOPO50 you can buy at an outfitter. I wrote the Land Management department or LINZ and they put me onto this site. I feel for anyone out there this week the weather is horrible(think hiking during Katrina only with snow).

++ New Posts ++