WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cuacoatchoo View Post
    A word of caution on headphones/earbuds. I've been solo section hiking twice on the AT when bears have popped up out of the ferns fairly close to me (20 feet off the trail). In one case a started bear gave me a "Huff" to let me know to pay attention. The other time, I heard the muffled thuds of a bear running up the trail towards me and my dorritos. Based on this bears attitude, it seemed like he had learned to bluff scare hikers into dropping their packs.

Your 5 senses are nice tools to have.
    This reminds me of the time I was hiking south of Chatfield shelter in Virginia (north of Partnership shelter) and a backpacker was hiking north with his electronic I-nad blasting music into his Ear Pods while rushing down the trail, drooling I guess to get to the next shelter. He came up on me fast but his head was down and buried in some intricate thought-fantasy of his own making when he saw me and SCREAMED at the surprise. I shook him up. It was comical.

Of course my pack looked like a refrigerator on my back and perhaps he mistook me for a standing kodiak bear.

Beyond all this, it's just stump stupid to hike with ear-worming music playing in rattlesnake country (i.e. most of the AT). You won't hear the buzzing.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

to each his own.
    I carry an ebook. I hike 8 to 10 hours a day and rest, eat and read the rest. It works for me. It seems that all the books in the world (SWAG) fits in one ebook.LOL
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

After the first couple of weeks I started finding books in the shelters. I'd pick one up and read it and when I was done with it I'd leave it in a shelter for someone else to read.

It's quite true that one of the great boons to hiking long distances is the time to think freely and openly- but when you're not used to doing this it is quite a change.

As an avid reader I had a distaste for Audiobooks, and still do to an extent, but it can be a nice way to get in a book. My current style usually precludes carrying a book, which I used to do all the time. There used to be a "book library" on the AT, hikers would leave finished books and take new books at the shelters, but e-books on devices have largely eliminated this.

Music is a big part of my life, and this is no different on a hike. At home I often listen to music in the background, but while hiking I have the time to listen more fully and completely. The peace of hiking compliments the music and both are undertaken more completely as a result in my opinion.

Scott Jurek cites a study in his book that shows that a half hour of music has the same effect on the body as taking two aspirin. I think Malto and many others would agree that music can be an essential part of a hike if you allow it. Someplace on here we have also discussed our various "hour of power" or "long songs" playlists that a few of us have for those times you need to break out of mental rut or cover a few more miles towards the end of the day.

I also agree with others- during dawn/dusk it's best to leave the music off. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't occasionally have some days where music played all day, but I also have occasional blocks or even trips with no music. You'll find your own balance.

Reading the trail journals is always a nice bonus to hiking the AT, keeping your own, or notes on a smartphone can be good too.
    I may even know a person who wrote a book while walking around.

Most will want to stop here, as this is where we board the crazy train:
    As DW mentions-meditation and spirituality are excellent things to focus on in regards to filling your time. It doesn't have to be religious by any means, but hiking is a good time to debate with yourself such questions if you care to. Regardless of if there is a fella that owns the place or not, nearly any mindful practice, physical, spiritual or religious, involves some meditation.

At night, before going to bed, is an excellent time to practice meditation. It can take some time and effort to do. Generally it is active: mindfully keeping your effort focused on a something, even as simple as reviewing your day. Or passive: seeking stillness- allowing your mind to quiet and have no thoughts. Each effort increases awareness of yourself in some way.

At some point you will be able to extend this practice to walking;
    You may use the motion to actively and deeply explore thoughts, emotions, or questions.
    Or you may use the motion and rhythm to increase stillness and extend awareness, first of yourself, and eventually to your surroundings.
    When folks talk about "healing" often it is simply actively allowing yourself to relive, feel, confront and let go past pain. In various meditation practices you may be taught to ground these issues and let them go. A hiker does something similar as they take each step. The long green tunnel in particular practically forces you into this path, failure to walk it forces many off the trail.

Whither they talk about it, know they do it, formally try, or care to define it- I know most long distance hikers practice some form of meditation. It is inevitable when confronted with yourself and nature for hour after hour, day after day. Especially as skill and experience increase and require less of your time and direct attention. It can be a powerful tool for pain management and other difficulties encountered. There are always challenging portions of any hike, being able to overcome internal and external forces that can end a hike is a hallmark of any successful long distance hiker. So much so that I don't consider it my opinion, I consider it a fact- just one that is not talked about as often as it could be.

People do get hurt, run out of money, or have external issues that delay or end a hike.
    The vast majority of hikes end though for internal reasons, no hiker lasts long without facing this issue- however they do it.

You may even occasionally be so lucky as to enter your surroundings so completely as to flow with them, through them, in them, with them-become a part of them. Move with so little trouble that your hike is effortless. Crazy or not- this is the reason I hike.

When we open ourselves up to life, when we make ourselves available, when we are present, when we recognize that a hike is more than a 30" wide manicured trail we physically labor upon the infinitely diverse and infinitely interesting Universe begins revealing itself.

We can easily conjure up some rather odd conventional mainstream religious ideas of what it means to meditate or pray, but really all it can mean is to contemplate, reflect, appeal to, appreciate, and to be thankful. We can live this way far beyond the context of a hike.

If a long distance hike became largely monotonous, meaning dull, tedious, lacking variety and interest, boring, I would know it is not the hike that is that way but it is me. I would be lacking imagination, gratitude, a larger sense of life well beyond myself.

Many have heard it many times but it's worth repeating: a hike is more of a journey rather than a destination and a starting pt - just like life. Embrace LIFE more fully and not only will a thru-hike seem less monotonous but so will LIFE.

A hike(thru-hike) is as much a journey of the soul as it is a journey of the feet.

A hike(thru-hike) is so much more than hiking.

Good point. But I only use the one ear. (anyone else remember doing it "That" way?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuacoatchoo View Post
    I think many of these posts are recommending audiobooks for at camp. A word of caution on headphones/earbuds. I've been solo section hiking twice on the AT when bears have popped up out of the ferns fairly close to me (20 feet off the trail). In one case a started bear gave me a "Huff" to let me know to pay attention. The other time, I heard the muffled thuds of a bear running up the trail towards me and my dorritos. Based on this bears attitude, it seemed like he had learned to bluff scare hikers into dropping their packs.

Your 5 senses are nice tools to have.

Last april I observed thru hikers carrying: Magic the gathering cards, regular cards, cell phones, kindles, a tiny guitar (really liked this guy), and the thru-hikers guidebook. The shelter registries were interesting to read while making dinner, as they're full of quotes and messages. I thought one entry was particularly beautiful from a Feb start NOBOer who arrived at davenport gap shelter in the snow and alone.

If you find the hike monotonous and not enjoyable, that's a good reason to call it a day and become a section hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    It's quite true that one of the great boons to hiking long distances is the time to think freely and openly- but when you're not used to doing this it is quite a change.

As an avid reader I had a distaste for Audiobooks, and still do to an extent, but it can be a nice way to get in a book. My current style usually precludes carrying a book, which I used to do all the time. There used to be a "book library" on the AT, hikers would leave finished books and take new books at the shelters, but e-books on devices have largely eliminated this.

Music is a big part of my life, and this is no different on a hike. At home I often listen to music in the background, but while hiking I have the time to listen more fully and completely. The peace of hiking compliments the music and both are undertaken more completely as a result in my opinion.

Scott Jurek cites a study in his book that shows that a half hour of music has the same effect on the body as taking two aspirin. I think Malto and many others would agree that music can be an essential part of a hike if you allow it. Someplace on here we have also discussed our various "hour of power" or "long songs" playlists that a few of us have for those times you need to break out of mental rut or cover a few more miles towards the end of the day.

I also agree with others- during dawn/dusk it's best to leave the music off. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't occasionally have some days where music played all day, but I also have occasional blocks or even trips with no music. You'll find your own balance.

Reading the trail journals is always a nice bonus to hiking the AT, keeping your own, or notes on a smartphone can be good too.
    I may even know a person who wrote a book while walking around.

Most will want to stop here, as this is where we board the crazy train:
    As DW mentions-meditation and spirituality are excellent things to focus on in regards to filling your time. It doesn't have to be religious by any means, but hiking is a good time to debate with yourself such questions if you care to. Regardless of if there is a fella that owns the place or not, nearly any mindful practice, physical, spiritual or religious, involves some meditation.

At night, before going to bed, is an excellent time to practice meditation. It can take some time and effort to do. Generally it is active: mindfully keeping your effort focused on a something, even as simple as reviewing your day. Or passive: seeking stillness- allowing your mind to quiet and have no thoughts. Each effort increases awareness of yourself in some way.

At some point you will be able to extend this practice to walking;
    You may use the motion to actively and deeply explore thoughts, emotions, or questions.
    Or you may use the motion and rhythm to increase stillness and extend awareness, first of yourself, and eventually to your surroundings.
    When folks talk about "healing" often it is simply actively allowing yourself to relive, feel, confront and let go past pain. In various meditation practices you may be taught to ground these issues and let them go. A hiker does something similar as they take each step. The long green tunnel in particular practically forces you into this path, failure to walk it forces many off the trail.

Whither they talk about it, know they do it, formally try, or care to define it- I know most long distance hikers practice some form of meditation. It is inevitable when confronted with yourself and nature for hour after hour, day after day. Especially as skill and experience increase and require less of your time and direct attention. It can be a powerful tool for pain management and other difficulties encountered. There are always challenging portions of any hike, being able to overcome internal and external forces that can end a hike is a hallmark of any successful long distance hiker. So much so that I don't consider it my opinion, I consider it a fact- just one that is not talked about as often as it could be.

People do get hurt, run out of money, or have external issues that delay or end a hike.
    The vast majority of hikes end though for internal reasons, no hiker lasts long without facing this issue- however they do it.

You may even occasionally be so lucky as to enter your surroundings so completely as to flow with them, through them, in them, with them-become a part of them. Move with so little trouble that your hike is effortless. Crazy or not- this is the reason I hike.
    Very well stated, especially the meditation component. It's not crazy at all.

I carried a mp3 player but really only listened to it in town when doing laundry or a rare night in my tent. Mostly I let whatever song popped into my head be my soundtrack so I could keep my senses aware for deer, bear, moose, rattlesnakes etc. I picked up a small book for a week in Pearisburg and another in CT since after a month or two the added weight of a book was nominal. Resupply stops break up any 'monotony' and additional side trips to NYC, DC, Luray Caverns, Gettysburg etc can also help.

Sometimes i whistle or hum but i do prefer the sounds of nature and i do a lot of problem solving in my head while i am hiking, hiking has a wounderful way of helping me think through problems but i will admit their have been a couple of times i wished i had a MP3 player or something similiar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++