WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Another, sipping hot tea, scoping out the route, Mt. Foraker in background...
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is my Wilderness Equipment First Arrow, at Wild Dog Creek, Walls of Jerusalem NP, Tasmania.
    Taz
    DSCF1174 (Large).jpg

Garlic
    Images

Skiing the Rim Road at Crater Lake NP:
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

007.jpgCampsite on the upper end of Blockstand creek in the Rocky Fork area near Devil's Fork Gap. On one of the many unmarked log skidder roads @ 3700ft, navigating with my Garmin headed for the AT. The next day I made it to the AT in about 2 hours and an 800ft elevation gain.004.jpg Two days later camped just south of the Shelton graves on my way out after a clean up mission at Jerry's Cabin shelter.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

P4081854.jpg

Near Lookout Pass, ID-MT line. Easter 2012
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Last MLK day weekend in Harriman park. There are three tarptents and a half dozen Whiteblazers hidden in this photo:
    Attachment 29225

The thumbnail photo is a borrowed TNF tent off of the valley way trail on Mt. Madison.
    Fingerboard shelter, no?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Fingerboard shelter, no?
    Yes indeed! We all tented the next night at William Brien. We were just strolling about, except that a couple of the stronger hikers went and did a big loop to the south. It was snowy there too, but I don't think anyone thought to take a picture. It was a mite chilly: the snivel meter said 18 °F inside my tent the next morning. The way body heat warms a tent, it must have been quite a bit colder outside. The Boy Scouts who were using the shelter decamped in the middle of the night.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Snowy camp on Rabun Bald

Here's one from one of my Nepal trips back in the 90's.
    This one is from 17,500' Dhampus pass which is just north of Dhaligiri.
    I stayed here again in 2004 the night before I summited 20,000' Dhampus peak.P5050057.jpg
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Yes indeed! We all tented the next night at William Brien. We were just strolling about, except that a couple of the stronger hikers went and did a big loop to the south. It was snowy there too, but I don't think anyone thought to take a picture. It was a mite chilly: the snivel meter said 18 °F inside my tent the next morning. The way body heat warms a tent, it must have been quite a bit colder outside. The Boy Scouts who were using the shelter decamped in the middle of the night.
    Did they really? I just thought they got up, earlier than we did and hiked on!

Funny thing about that trip is that I brought my zero degree bag that was actually too warm, but I stupidly only packed my beat up zrest foam pad that didn't have nearly enough insulation. I slept on my side and had to keep switching sides throughout the night because whatever side was against the pad was freezing and the side that was on top kept sweating!

I wonder if Lou's going to post a photo of his "hooch" shelter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Here's one from one of my Nepal trips back in the 90's.
    This one is from 17,500' Dhampus pass which is just north of Dhaligiri.
    I stayed here again in 2004 the night before I summited 20,000' Dhampus peak.P5050057.jpg
    That looks like a North Face frog-style tent and I've seen a view over the years. Very cool pic of some real mountains.

Here's a similar North Face tent but in different mountains. Much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    I know this pic and this wall tent. It's David, right?

Speaking of boy scouts reminds me of this pic though they weren't scouts and spent a frigid night above 5,000 feet on a mountain in NC. I woke up the next day at 8am and they were gone! Bailed fast.

I remember they saying, "Good God! It's alot colder than we thought it would be!" Yes. The wild thing is they are camping in a Eureka Timberline tent under a leaning dead tree and oops but this tree falls a couple years later right where their tent is.

The Death Tree has Fallen.

Tipi,

Always enjoy your pics and reports. Thanks for posting!

Brad

Images

harpers ferry hike 090.jpg Cuban Fiber tarp tent in the snow. It sure sounded cool. The snow did not blow up into the inside and the wind sure did howl all night. Harpers Ferry area.

I'm jealous, I've scoured all my Florida Trail hiking photos, and can't come up with any snow pics. I do have some pics of snow-white beach sand, but doubt that would fool you guys.

This is a great pic showing what winter camping is all about---overcast skies, snow everywhere and maybe even spindrift, a coated tent requiring some effort to take down and stuff (in a bag probably a little bit too small for an ice-encrusted tent), and the all-important guylines pegged for in-camp tent security. "Better to peg out and not need them than to need them and not be pegged out". This is a sentence I repeat every night before going to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I'm jealous, I've scoured all my Florida Trail hiking photos, and can't come up with any snow pics. I do have some pics of snow-white beach sand, but doubt that would fool you guys.
    In such warm conditions or in places without any chance of snow I do the following technique and it really helps:

Open up refrigerator freezer at home and stick head inside. Try to slam freezer door shut 3 times. Keep head inside. Repeat at intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    harpers ferry hike 090.jpg Cuban Fiber tarp tent in the snow. It sure sounded cool. The snow did not blow up into the inside and the wind sure did howl all night. Harpers Ferry area.
    This pic reminds me of certain snow conditions when the air humidity is high and the temps cold and my tent condensation is TERRIBLE.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Snow is a great insulator, you ever fall butt first into a snow bank and just sit there for a bit, kinda warm, cradling...and warm.
    Ohh you mean with clothes on,

I just love a hot steam and fresh snow, Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++